Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pit falls of getting a HIGH mileage 993?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 10:35 PM
red_wagen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pit falls of getting a HIGH mileage 993?

I mean high like, 120k+ miles. I asked the local Pcar mechanic, a very knowledgeable guy, and he opined that at that high a mileage, even if maintained properly, a complete engine rebuild is on the horizon. He mentioned that the bearings (I assume he meant crankshaft bearings) can't last much longer and a bottom end rebuild will be due soon. I also mentioned that the car I was considering had a valve job done at around 50k miles. His take on it was with 140k on the clock it was 90k miles since the guides (I presume) were replaced so they're due as well. I would be looking at the neighborhood of $10k, worst case scenario. It was because of this that I shied away from the '97 S posted on here.

I'm no expert so I rely on this board and local "expert" opinions. I don't think he was trying to scam me but maybe he likes to err on the side of caution? I've read all your problems about the valve guides but have not heard about the crankshaft bearings going kaput. Any other big ticket items that need replacing I should know about? Up till I had talked to him I thought valve guides was the worst problem. What are your thoughts? TIA
Old 10-13-2006, 10:50 PM
TCallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

120K miles on the bottom (lower) end of a 993 is really nothing. The 993 bottom end main bearings will virtually last forever if not over revved, starved (run low) on oil or allowed to sit for very long periods of time and allowed to corrode. The Achilles heal of the 993 are the valve guides and once replaced with the upgraded parts, then the car has a chance to last for many years to come. I cannot answer for the current car at hand. You need a mechanic to perform a very good and thought out pre-purchase inspection (PPI) including a knowledge of the previous oil consumption. The oil consumption will give you an idea of the valve guide condition (wear).
Old 10-13-2006, 11:51 PM
mborkow
Drifting

bottm end of the 993 is supposed to be good for 250k+ miles...
Old 10-14-2006, 12:55 AM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm at 160k. It is starting to show signs of age. My clutch/flywheel (by all accounts is original) might finally be failing. The seals all seam to leak - although I'm still within factory spec oil loss ranges. It might not have quite the pep it used to, but I'm sure there are a few odds and ends that could be replaced to rejuvinate things - which I'll tackle in the spring. The paint was a little faded but I've buffed a layer out and it looks good as new. My point is that high mileage on a 993 does not equate to impending doom. And I would argue that the historical trends of 993's - as all 911 variants before it - show that these cars are VERY reliable well into the upper hundred thousand mile range.

I think it is safe to say that the higher miles a car has, the more careful you should be on inspecting it. BUT, the miles themselves aren't the indicator of probelems. If a mechanic says a top end rebuild is on the horizon then I'd wonder WHY he says that??? Is it because there is some factual symptom of a failure? Or because they want to steer you somewhere else or line you up for a service date so they can collect money from you before you even own a car? A statement like "the bearings can't last much longer" has absolutely no merit in the Pcar world, unless there is a sign of failure ... or maybe he used to work on Pontiacs. It really bugs me when mechanics prescribe repairs before the first real symptom shows up.

If you go to a doctor, get an absolutely clean bill of health, have a family history of people living well into their 90's, but the doctor says that your heart can't last much longer at the age of 60, you'd probably start doubting the doctor.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:29 AM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

This car ages well. But it's things like shocks, AC Compressors, AC Control Units, alternators, and wearable items that only last so long. With high mileage cars the bearings on moving parts, relays, *****, etc. have been worked much more than a low mileage car. Therefore, in my opinion you are going to have costly repairs to wearable items that would normally expect to be nominal expenses. These wearable parts add up and may make a higher mileage 993 more expensive in the long run.

As an examply, I was pretty surprised when at 38k I had to replace the factory shocks, brake pads, brake pad sensors, and tires, which was well over 2k.

Currently, I am facing a new clutch at 48k.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:36 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

There is no law, never . . .

Each car is specific, starting with its environment.

Funny thing I remember, I have a 75 year old neighbour, who years ago purchased a basic Renault clio (yes in europe) for $9000 brand new from the dealer.

Years later he came to ask me advice on a new car.
His clio was rottening in front of his house.
I asked him what happened to his clio, he said it just stopped.

When he was nice to go bring the keys and show me the clio to check it out, I was shocked.

The car had 290.000 kilometers on the counter (180 000 miles) and he told me he never changed ANYTHING
on the car. Never been to a garage, never had oil, water nothing, just gas.
The engine was blocked dead.
The tyres had a tiny thread still, he drove very slowly.
He wasn't bothered, as long as it ran.
I think depreciation wise, he squeezed hard, he took every penny out of it.

I wanted to take pictures.
Few days later, I saw a new clio parked in front of his place.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:01 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Jay,

I think your expert was talking bollocks! The aircooled 911 engine is renowned for its long life - as long as it has been cared for. I would find another mechanic who is not so "mile-ist" if you know what I mean. He probably changes his own car at threee years old because it is "so old it must be getting unreliable". Run away!

Regards,

David
Old 10-14-2006, 08:16 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geolab
There is no law, never . . .

Each car is specific, starting with its environment.

Funny thing I remember, I have a 75 year old neighbour, who years ago purchased a basic Renault clio (yes in europe) for $9000 brand new from the dealer.

Years later he came to ask me advice on a new car.
His clio was rottening in front of his house.
I asked him what happened to his clio, he said it just stopped.

When he was nice to go bring the keys and show me the clio to check it out, I was shocked.

The car had 290.000 kilometers on the counter (180 000 miles) and he told me he never changed ANYTHING
on the car. Never been to a garage, never had oil, water nothing, just gas.
The engine was blocked dead.
The tyres had a tiny thread still, he drove very slowly.
He wasn't bothered, as long as it ran.
I think depreciation wise, he squeezed hard, he took every penny out of it.

I wanted to take pictures.
Few days later, I saw a new clio parked in front of his place.
I think you've just eloquently demonstrated why driving in Paris is such a buttock-clenchingly terrifying experience
Old 10-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Fred, Long Island
Racer

At that mileage and age, much of what could go wrong already has and may have been replaced. If not, the clock is ticking. Service records are invaluable in this situation.
If it was well cared for mechanically, it's a great machine.
You don't acquire these autos wondering what could fail; you make the best effort to insure that your time at the wheel is going to be as enjoyable as possible...and it will.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:35 AM
mborkow
Drifting

As an examply, I was pretty surprised when at 38k I had to replace the factory shocks, brake pads, brake pad sensors, and tires, which was well over 2k
just to give another data point, i have 115k miles on original: suspension and brakes (rotors AND pads!), but i did replace the clutch at 72k miles while the engine was out for a valve job (and that was pricey...i did a lot of while you were in there stuff, but the bill was about $10k). the steering rack is a pretty well documented weakness, and i also blew an alternator recently (but the original lasted 114k miles and there is only so long an alternator on any car is going to last). the truth is, if i were to sell the car now at 115k miles it would be a better car than i bought at 70k miles. so i wouldn't be afraid just because of the miles. you just need to know if PO took appropriate care of the car commensurate with the number of miles it has. at 140k miles a car might be 100% sorted out. it might also be 100 miles away from a top end. gotta get a good PPI and do you homework :-)
Old 10-14-2006, 10:35 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 439 Posts

I've often thought about getting a high mileage "keeper" at a low cost and spend some dough on select mods to enhance performance, such as re-gear, mid-weight flywheel, re-build engine to aorund 325 hp, new suspension, etc. No worries about limiting miles, re-spraying panels, keeping it stock, or staying off the track.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:36 AM
red_wagen
Instructor

Thanks guys. It looks like I may have missed out on a great car. Well, someone in NH is gonna have a blast
Yeah, I was a little puzzled about his bearing comment since I never saw a post or thread on here about them.
Back to the drawing board...
Old 10-14-2006, 11:21 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by urban_alchemist
I think you've just eloquently demonstrated why driving in Paris is such a buttock-clenchingly terrifying experience
Unintentionally, but I actually did.
Heard that central London is not free anymore,
Worked on the liffe floor for three years, just off Canon street.
great restaurant there, "sweetings", I am sure you've tried it.
If not, try anything with beer served in very old sterling silver pints,
Old 10-14-2006, 11:34 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mborkow
just to give another data point, i have 115k miles on original: suspension and brakes (rotors AND pads!), but i did replace the clutch at 72k miles while the engine was out for a valve job (and that was pricey...i did a lot of while you were in there stuff, but the bill was about $10k). the steering rack is a pretty well documented weakness, and i also blew an alternator recently (but the original lasted 114k miles and there is only so long an alternator on any car is going to last). the truth is, if i were to sell the car now at 115k miles it would be a better car than i bought at 70k miles. so i wouldn't be afraid just because of the miles. you just need to know if PO took appropriate care of the car commensurate with the number of miles it has. at 140k miles a car might be 100% sorted out. it might also be 100 miles away from a top end. gotta get a good PPI and do you homework :-)
Original pads and rotors? Wow!!! I would have to assume your due.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comparaisons to earlier flat-6s may not be fair, the 993 unit is a more sophisticated and complex machine but I agree the main mechanical components aren't the biggest problem on a high mileage car, it's the little things that add up real quick. Porsches are the only near-exotics you can drive for so long, that's value for money right there, 150K+ miles is a lot for any well designed car, engineers did a fantastic job.

Regards,
Chris

Quick Reply: Pit falls of getting a HIGH mileage 993?