Old 10-13-2006, 10:56 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Try this forum http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=39

I hung out there for some time as wifey and I were researching and actually close to buying a T-- I certainly hope VW has got the Touareg problems sorted by now --
Old 10-13-2006, 10:58 AM
John95cab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 04 V8. If you don't mind the gas mileage its been good to me although some of the earliest (under 50,xxx vin no.) have had some bugs. The touareg forum on vwvortex will have all your faqs.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:23 AM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Ditto on the vwvortex forum. Keep in mind though that just as if you were 993 naive and surfed rennlist for all your advice, you will by nature hear from all the people who have problems and very rarely from people who have everything going just fine. In other words, those forums can be scary hearing about all the problems but they are exceptions not rules. Unless you were talking about the first year release. They were quite buggy. Since then I think they've gotten them pretty well under control.

That being said, I ... er, my wife ... has had a Toureg for about 2 years now. Still love it. It has been trouble free and gets decent mileage with the 6 cyl version. Makes a solid family car with plenty of bells and whistles. As my 18 month old daughter says... "wanna go bye bye in truck truck."
Old 10-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

We owned a late 04, V8, Premium Plus T-egg since new in Sept. 04. We recently sold it only because we found a super low mile 02 Audi S6 Avant.... ;^)

The "egg" was one of the best travelling cars / rig we have owned. It loved being out on the open road and covering ground. From purely a vehicle aspect, the "egg" was great. Fit and finish were top notch. Car was comfy for everyone front and back on trips.

IMHO, the issue(s) folks mention surrounding T-egg are mostly due to VW marketting a vehicle before the dealers were ready. The initial teething problems were handled so poorly that some owners gave up. On two ocasions I came close with my dealer... After realzing that I was complaining to an ignorant audiance, I bought the Ross-Tech VAG-Com software and took many of the bothersome items into my own hands. As example, I used the VAG-Com to turn off the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring). Up to this point, the dealer had refused to do this for us, claiming "liability" as why. The TPMS "feature" was nothing but a nusance as it false alarmed almost every drive. This is quite common on the 04 "eggs". For 05, they allowed owners the option of turn on / turn off. However, no recall / TSB on offering the turn off firmware to 04 owners...

If I were advising someone buying an "egg", I would strongly suggest having the dealer pull the service history and see how that "egg" was in the bunch, so to speak. Other than that, the only other comment I can think of was that the stock Conti tires were worthless as a AWD tire. We switched our "egg" to Toyo Proxes S/T's and had great results in wet / snow.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:35 PM
endodoc
Intermediate

have an 05 touareg- no problems at all- have the v6 which could use a little more power..i get 17mpg the main problem is you can't sell them for any money .. i would keep it a long time or lease an 06 which has been discounted alot..
Old 10-13-2006, 01:40 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Try this forum http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=39

I hung out there for some time as wifey and I were researching and actually close to buying a T-- I certainly hope VW has got the Touareg problems sorted by now --
Looks like a pretty good forum. I like the first sticky post... it has links to various technical topics,, all categorized. Very cool.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:46 PM
sptschoice
Pro

Hi Guys thanks for your input....
Old 10-13-2006, 02:44 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

I bought a fully optioned V8 when they first came out. Great truck and better interior finish than the pepper IMO. I had a couple of minor warranty issues but other than that, it was a great truck. I got rid of it a year ago to get a Range Rover Sport Supercharged, otherwise, I would have kept it. BTW, if you get one, get the 20" OZ wheels, they look great.
Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2006, 03:34 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Our favorite color was the Off-Road Grey. These are nice looking rig's, IMO.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:36 PM
cowtown
Racer

My wife drives an '04 V8, bought new. There have been myriad electrical issues requiring code re-flashes: TPMS upgrades to get rid of falsing, gas cap seal alarms, wheel broken alarms, blinkers randomly don't work, locks randomly don't unlock, etc. Now, after 40K miles, most of the bugs are finally worked out and it's fine. Cupholder and interior trim pieces fall off/break, and she is not rough on it at all.

Nice to drive, if you like driving a 5000 lb. SUV, though. Probably just about as good as it gets in its class handlingwise.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:24 PM
jhale
Pro

A friend of mine owns one and he has had non-stop problems with it, most of the problems already mentioned. My V8 Expedition gets better mileage in the mountains than his V8 Touareg. We're in the market for a new SUV and the final candidates are the Lexus GX470 and V8 Volvo XC 90. Both have been really hard to find because the new production numbers aren't available yet. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:15 PM
John95cab
Instructor

I had a 4x4 Expedition. I parked it on a hilly street in very light snow, set the brake and went in to pick up my kid. The damn thing slid down the hill and into the intersection with my wife in the passenger seat. It was a great truck when it wasn't raining or snowing.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:20 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John95cab
I had a 4x4 Expedition. I parked it on a hilly street in very light snow, set the brake and went in to pick up my kid. The damn thing slid down the hill and into the intersection with my wife in the passenger seat. It was a great truck when it wasn't raining or snowing.
Typical build quality for a North American SUV...
Old 10-13-2006, 05:24 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Our favorite color was the Off-Road Grey. These are nice looking rig's, IMO.
No doubt I got the right color combo. I'm a big fan of black cars/trucks but this truck looks better in offroad gray than any other color including black. The Range Rover on the other hand had to be black!

Quick Reply: OT: Volk Touareg