993 Forum 1995-1998

MD/N. Va/DC "Meet and Drive" Nov 19th, Sun. 10am - Rockville

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 434 Posts
Default MD/N. Va/DC "Meet and Drive" Nov 19th, Sun. 10am - Rockville

In speaking with a local Rennlister it seems that no one has taken the initiative to put on a "Rennlist Meet and Drive" this fall, so ... here it is. We will be meeting at the Starbucks on November 19th, 10am at the corner of Rockville Pike and Old Georgetown Rd next to the Silver Diner and in front of the Toys R Us. (12091 ROCKVILLE PIKE)

We usually meet and chat in the parking lot from 10-11:15 or so, then take a spirited 45 min-1 hr drive to a lunch spot somewhere in the area ("Roy's Place" Restaurant in Gaithersburg, MD). You can show up for the "Meet" only, or do the "Meet and Drive" and not the lunch, or do all 3.

So, anyone in? Yes, I know that it's pre-Thanksgiving week and many people might be out of town. Most people tend to leave from Wednesday through Sunday so this would be before that. I picked Nov 19th to acommodate a gent that missed the last one and would like to come, and this is the only Sunday in November he can make it. We did a Saturday "Meet" in the spring and some people said they can only do Sundays, so it's a Sunday pick for the fall. You gotta figure that half of you guys/gals are busy any given weekend so pretty much any weekend I picked would be good or bad for half of us.

Never been to a Meet and Drive? You really ought to come and check it out. This past spring we had about 30-40 cars. It's a great way to meet other local Rennlisters, talk about their Porsche driving experience, enjoy the thrill of seeing a thoroughly modded out 993, or a mint 914, a 73 RS replica, a bone- crunching 996 or 997 Turbo, a beloved 944 S2 in an unusual color, a 928 S4 where you can eat off the engine, a museum quality 356, and rare 911 Turbo Cabriolet all in one local parking lot. Bring your significant other and even your kids if you like. Everyone gets a kick out of seeing all these fantastic cars in one place.

Hope everyone's enjoying a pleasant fall.

Steve R

UPDATE: Here's the restaurant info: Roy's Place - Gaithersburg MD

It's an awesome sandwich place that is a local institution. Parking is easy as they have a large parking lot and can accomodate a very large group. The food is excellent and the atmosphere is, well, one of a kind. Here's the menu for those that don't live locally and haven't been fortunate enough to go there yet:
http://www.roysplacerestaurant.com/menu.html

Steve R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Review #1 Roy's Place

Not many restaurants can boast 31 years at the same location with the same owner. Roy's exudes glorious chaos and irreverence. Covering the walls are large patriotic posters from both world wars, liquor advertisements, and sheet music from old songs. Roy is the fellow with the gray beard.

The soul of the menu is the list of sandwiches--203 of them at last count. Popular ingredients are turkey breast, roast beef, sausages, various cheeses, and bacon, along with coleslaw, Russian dressing, sauerkraut, seafood salad, curry, chili mayo, and baked beans. They range from $4.75 to $18.95 for a four-decker with lobster. (The five-decker, without lobster, is $2 less and contains brisket, turkey, corned beef, roast pork, and chicken-liver pâté.)

Some main courses offer lots of nostalgic appeal, such as fine-sliced tongue with raisin sauce. Salads contain many of the ingredients on the sandwich menu. A good appetizer is the deep-fried mushrooms.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Review # 2: Roy's the Star of Roy's Place

"I'm just getting better every day - ripe, like a Camembert," says Roy Passin, owner of Roy's Place. The amiable septuagenarian sits contentedly, day after day, at his favorite table - the one with a perfect vantage of the front door - so that he can greet regulars as they arrive.

It was this bustling midday crowd that inspired Passin to heap his famous brisket on some bread and call it the "Whatzit." Folks not only liked it, they clamored for more. Thus began an obsession. Soon Passin threw together the gargantuan "Bender Schmender" (The One and Only 5-Decker Club). The menu describes it as "corned beef, turkey, roast pork, chicken liver pâté and golden brisket with lettuce, tomato, Golden sauce and a psychiatric appointment."

Just like the waistlines of the regular customers, the menu of specialty sandwiches has continued to expand over the years. The list of sandwiches, numbering 90 when Passin first arrived in Gaithersburg, now weighs in at 196.

"You need a beer just to get through the menu," cautions one local. These are not humble sandwiches. These are flamboyant, awe-inspiring combinations: roast beef with fried oysters, lobster salad and brisket, pork sausage and beans, turkey bosom, crab salad, and Golden Sauce. (Roy's also will accommodate the relatively uninspired sandwiches demanded by customers.) "I've always had a knack for knowing what ingredients to throw together," shrugs Passin.

Most sandwiches are playfully named for real people, although several monikers are the result of his gift for inventing the truth. But the best parts of the menu are the parenthetical clues that hint at the thought process (read: inside joke) behind the naming process. For example, "The Nameless Club" ("Two hours after eating you call us names"), "Mother's Ruin" ("Three sausages and a spot of gin"), "Father's Defeat" ("Three mothers and a lot of gin"), "The Judy, Judy, Judy!!!" ("Is it true your name is Alice?"), and "The Noche d'Amour" ("At my age, Noche de Amour should be a day of rest").

Passin admits to a quick temper as well as a quirky sense of humor. Once an inebriated regular refused to leave, instead demanding to be served a "good cold sandwich." Passin charged him 50 cents - the equivalent of two beers - stormed back to the kitchen, angrily scavenged some stale bread and slapped an ice cube between the two slices. Tossing a pickle beside it, he served it to the drunk, telling him "There's your damn cold sandwich." It's still on the menu, although inflation has driven the price of "The Nothing Burger" up to 64 cents.

Today, the prices are as outrageously varied as the ingredient list. The sandwiches run from $8 to $12 and peak out at $18.95. Adamant about quality, Passin insists that all meats be roasted on site in strict adherence to his recipes. It should come as no surprise that Passin relies on a hefty dose of alcohol - and a few additional antics - to flavor many of his sauces and roast meats. And it works. The secret to his delectable roast pork is simple. "I just pour a couple of glasses of sherry over a 10-pound leg of pork, sprinkle it with cayenne and black pepper, throw on some Louisiana hot sauce, and slather the whole thing with honey before roasting it." Leaning close, he whispers "And then I jump up and down, whirl around and genuflect."

Roy's sauces redefine the word condiment. Almost anything anchored between two slices of bread would benefit from Passin's secret-recipe Golden Sauce. The same goes for the fried finger food - such as kiddie favorite mozzarella sticks ($4.25) and chicken tenders ($4.95). Enthusiasts buy Golden Sauce by the jelly jar. And his blue cheese dressing smells suspiciously of sherry.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 10-04-2006 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:58 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Me...
Old 10-03-2006, 10:37 AM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

This sounds like fun and if I do not have a soccer game that day, am IN.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Steve,

Sounds great! Thanks for picking up the baton. It's on my calendar.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:05 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Steve,

Thanks for organizing - You can count me in with my little 2 year old.

-Skip
Old 10-03-2006, 12:43 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

A Sunday meet during FOOTBALL SEASON?!?!?!? I will make all efforts to be there for the meet - but no drive. Sorry, but the Skins play at 1. It is an away game or else I wouldn't be there at all. I do have my priorities you know. Unless you plan driving the Annapolis way where I could just peel off at the house.

Thanks for organizing. Hope to see you there.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:38 PM
jangobox
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me in!
Old 10-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks for responding, guys.

Brian: Sorry it's on a Redskin's game day but I think you'd be able to easily see the game at the restaurant. Gosh, I checked all the Dorkiphus Porsche drives and didn't see they scheduled anything yet for that day. I checked the local racetracks and didn't see them as having anything signficant that day. Guess I forgot about the Skins! At least we'll see you for the best part, the "Meet".

Steve R

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 10-04-2006 at 01:26 AM.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:02 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Steve..that will be a very short drive...fine for me since it's 5 min from my house..
Old 10-03-2006, 11:47 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Can't wait - I only ask (and this is from a Cayenne owner) that the Cayennes are in the back of the pack when we go for our ride
Old 10-04-2006, 01:47 AM
plymouthcolt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your PM
Old 10-04-2006, 07:54 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Steve
There is a nice drive out of Rockville, across Norbeck, onto layhill and ednor, via lime kiln to get to 29....on 29 for 5 mins the 32 west for 10 mins and then through some great back roads across dam and into northern Gaithersburg......about an hour roughly and nearly all twisty country roads......I will do a proper map/directions if you are interested????
Old 10-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks dhicks: Plymouthcolt suggested the following route (see below) before your post came in. What do you think? Do you think the northern Silver Spring course would be better? This is shaping up nicely and quickly. I'm excited... are you excited? I'm just about to post everything on the other boards but I want to have a route down in print before I totally let the cat out of the bag to the other forums and the Dorkiphus board.

"Now to get to River Rd. from Old Georgetown Rd (the Starbucks starting point in Rockville). I was thinking (trying to avoid boring highways):

Executive Blvd, left on Montrose, left on Falls to River Rd.

River Rd.
at three way stop (Rt. 112) turn left to stay on River Rd.
right on Montevideo Rd.
right on Sugerland Rd.
right on Darnestown Rd.
right on Berryville Rd.
left on Seneca Rd.
right on Esworthy Rd.
left on Query Mill Rd. (stay left at fork)
right on Turkey Foot Rd.
left on Travilah Rd.
Travilah Rd. ends at Darnestown Rd.
left on Darnestown Rd.
left at traffic light to stay on Darnestown Rd.
right onto Muddy Branch Rd.
right onto W. Diamond Ave (MD-117)
left onto Meem Ave
right onto Chestnut St.
right onto E. Diamond Ave.

from intersection of Travilah Rd. and Darnestown Rd. to Roys is 4.18 miles"

Steve R

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 10-04-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:46 AM
dhicks
Drifting

I will print up the route I am thinking and you can make your choice....give me an hour or so
Old 10-04-2006, 10:24 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey - any chance we can get a copy of this post or link over on the 997 side of the house?

Quick Reply: MD/N. Va/DC "Meet and Drive" Nov 19th, Sun. 10am - Rockville