Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How to safely remove my 3M clearbra?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 02:45 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default How to safely remove my 3M clearbra?

I will follow this post with a search, but hoping to hear a quick reply from someone that has done this? I would like to get all the film off my car...bumber, mirrors, rear quarter panels, etc...it's time for a really good polishing with some Einszett green can. I am going to get it re-covered after doing all this, but would prefer to remove it myself so that I can take my time with the polishing...

Anyone done this? My best guess is a hairdryer to create some heat and 3M Adhesive Remover...
Old 10-01-2006, 02:59 PM
AnthemAVM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told that it would just come off it you can get a corner up.

Michael
Old 10-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Jim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Heat helps, probably a heat gun will do much more than a hair dryer, do it on a warm car and be really patient and gentle. Carefully remove one corner with a plastic scraper and slowly pull it up. 3M adhesive remover for anything on the surface that remains.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:55 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

thanks guys
Old 10-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

But when you redo it, you will have to get all the wax off the car. I wouldn't remove the clear bra to polish the car, since you'll have to wash it with Dawn to ensure a good bond with the new clear bra.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:08 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
But when you redo it, you will have to get all the wax off the car. I wouldn't remove the clear bra to polish the car, since you'll have to wash it with Dawn to ensure a good bond with the new clear bra.
My logic was that after a significant amount of time/sun exposure, that it is good to do this... remove the clear bra and polish along with the rest of the car. When I polish, it is to remove imperfections and then finish with some kind of wax or other protectant anyway. So in the case of the clear bra spots, I know that they will not receive the final step, but I still think the process of polishing makes sense...?
Old 10-02-2006, 10:30 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,215 Posts

When removing the film roll it onto itself. You do not want to pull a long sheet of film off at once. The closer you are to the surface the less chance you have of doing damage. If the weather is warm sitting in the sunlight as you mentioned works if not a heat gun helps speed up the process.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:02 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Let car sit in sun, spray some citrus degreaser over film, and can use hair drier/ low heat setting heat gun while lifting slowly from corner on a 45 degree angle. I was surprised how easy it came off and did final clean up with citrus degreaser.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just tried this yesterday. The stone guard on the right side came off in one piece with alsmost no glue residue. I did it after a drive and then let it sit in the sun. It worked best when I pulled at 90 degrees (angle, not temperature) from the fender. I turned the car around so the left side was in the sun, let it sit for another hour or so, and the LEFT SIDE WOULD NOT COME OFF. If you've seen the posts where people said it came off in little bitty teeny weeny pieces, that is what the left side is doing. So far I have about 2 hours invested, and I have removed the bottom 2 inches or so. I used a heat gun and plastic scraper, which seemed to help, but I am worried about pressing too hard with the scraper. I doubt yours has been on for 11 years, so hopefully you'll have no issues.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:17 PM
993mike
Advanced

Bob
Are you talking about the original stone guards? I want to take mine off as well. Keep us posted on the results. Once off, where is everyone getting replacement guards?
Old 10-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike - Yes, I'm removing the original guards. old posts said "invica-shield". I googled and could not find them. I googled 3M and bought mine from ClearMask.com. I have not received them yet, but I got 3m ultrasheild or something like that. I just finished removing the stubborn left side - I used a 500w halogen light as close to the fender as the metal guard would allow, and after a few minutes the stuff would literally melt. I used a plastic scraper to remove the bulk, and adhesive remover/plastic scraper to remove the residual. These guards are pretty cheap ($25-35), it may be worth replacing every few years to avoid the problems of removing really old ones.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:02 PM
hidden impact
Instructor

http://www.invinca-shield.com

a little more pricy than $25-30.

no affiliation, but i'm considering them when i respray. they have a few different kits depending on the 993 model, so make sure you select the correct guards/kit.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:56 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

The content may be relevant even though the thread is ancient.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:22 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim
Heat helps, probably a heat gun will do much more than a hair drier
I would avoid a heat gun as it is very hot, can burn paint and is hard to control.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:26 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,054 Posts

A set of plastic Mar free scrapers are available at Harbor Freight. They look like red plastic chisels, I used a han held clothing steamer to apply heat and avoid cooking the paint.

Quick Reply: How to safely remove my 3M clearbra?