Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help With Sound of Fabspeed Catbypass vs X-Pipe and Other

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 09:53 PM
all623
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good information Bill. I spoke to a racing authority on this topic who confirmed what Bill is saying and gave me a simple answer after viewing some of the posts and reading about the x-pipes- "go with Fabspeeds." He highly recommended going with the Fab's because they use a process to mandrel bend the pipes (prevents ridges in the pipes where they curve) and they are smooth without welds, otherwise welds would restrict flow too. He did confirm the Dach x-configuration will cause an interruption where the pipes merge and the welding in a critical area would effect performance. He reminded me that he has had experience with many products, including Fabspeed and that they have been making bypass pipes, etc. for many years, have the dyno results, and are the safest best performing way to go of most everything out there. That's what I plan to buy, plus I know from hearing them in person they sound great. I did call and speak with somone at Fabspeed afterward who said you could drop as much as 55lbs by removing the cats which in itself is a big plus. For those who need to retain cats, they also are offering a new race cat product for 993s that is a much better performing and more economical solution than oem; many are burning or getting loose at the cores as they age.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:38 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=all623]Good information Bill. I spoke to a racing authority on this topic who confirmed what Bill is saying and gave me a simple answer after viewing some of the posts and reading about the x-pipes- "go with Fabspeeds." He highly recommended going with the Fab's because they use a process to mandrel bend the pipes (prevents ridges in the pipes where they curve) and they are smooth without welds, otherwise welds would restrict flow too.[QUOTE/]

Our bends have no "ridges" either, they are smooth mandrel bends. Also there are no welds inside when TIG'd properly that would interfer. And if there was restriction, that would cause excessive heat at the X location...doesn't happen.

He did confirm the Dach x-configuration will cause an interruption where the pipes merge and the welding in a critical area would effect performance. He reminded me that he has had experience with many products, including Fabspeed and that they have been making bypass pipes, etc. for many years, have the dyno results, and are the safest best performing way to go of most everything out there. That's what I plan to buy, plus I know from hearing them in person they sound great. I did call and speak with somone at Fabspeed afterward who said you could drop as much as 55lbs by removing the cats which in itself is a big plus. For those who need to retain cats, they also are offering a new race cat product for 993s that is a much better performing and more economical solution than oem; many are burning or getting loose at the cores as they age.
I GOT AN ISLAND TO SELL, WHO'S BUYING

As far as what "someone" at Fab told you,I think the above says it all.

Don't believe me, take off your factory cat and see what it weighs......I'll bet you a set of pipes its not over 30lbs

but I digress.....for those who don't beleive in my FIT, finish and performance, enjoy the Fabs'
Old 10-02-2006, 10:47 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 211 Posts

[QUOTE=993inNC]
Originally Posted by all623
Good information Bill. I spoke to a racing authority on this topic who confirmed what Bill is saying and gave me a simple answer after viewing some of the posts and reading about the x-pipes- "go with Fabspeeds." He highly recommended going with the Fab's because they use a process to mandrel bend the pipes (prevents ridges in the pipes where they curve) and they are smooth without welds, otherwise welds would restrict flow too.[QUOTE/]

Our bends have no "ridges" either, they are smooth mandrel bends. Also there are no welds inside when TIG'd properly that would interfer. And if there was restriction, that would cause excessive heat at the X location...doesn't happen.

I GOT AN ISLAND TO SELL, WHO'S BUYING

As far as what "someone" at Fab told you,I think the above says it all.

Don't believe me, take off your factory cat and see what it weighs......I'll bet you a set of pipes its not over 30lbs

but I digress.....for those who don't beleive in my FIT, finish and performance, enjoy the Fabs'

a couple folks here have gone from Fabs to Dachs..hmm..think it had something to do with fit and finish....
Old 10-02-2006, 11:02 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Chris,

Any sound files of the cat bypasses with Supercups? As you might guess, I'd also be interested in dyno results.
I ran this set up and could send you a short video if you like, but it is a big file.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:03 PM
993inNC
Race Car

I think he means the X-pipes with Cups
Old 10-02-2006, 11:05 PM
993inNC
Race Car

[QUOTE=TRINITONY][QUOTE=993inNC]
Originally Posted by all623
Good information Bill. I spoke to a racing authority on this topic who confirmed what Bill is saying and gave me a simple answer after viewing some of the posts and reading about the x-pipes- "go with Fabspeeds." He highly recommended going with the Fab's because they use a process to mandrel bend the pipes (prevents ridges in the pipes where they curve) and they are smooth without welds, otherwise welds would restrict flow too.

a couple folks here have gone from Fabs to Dachs..hmm..think it had something to do with fit and finish....
hmmm.........coincidence?

I've said it before and once again. I DO NOT make hp performance gain claims, these are a NOISE inducer only. If we find that they promote hp/torque gains cool! But no one has ever griped about my pipes because for real hp gains one has to spend real money and this is just a really nice looking noise maker. Everyone that has bought these knows that going in. I could blow similar smoke about gains and weight savings, and yes no matter who's get installed weight is saved but........
I can't be any more honest about what we are doing. I made these for myself initially and all of a sudden everyone (well okay not EVERYone) wants them. We hand make everything personally and take alot of pride in what we are doing. If someone doesn't like them or beleive in them, fine with me. Dave and I can say that we have parts that we made on people's cars all over the world! How many people get to say that? 2 guys from a little poe dunk town ........
Old 10-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 355 Posts

a couple folks here have gone from Fabs to Dachs..hmm..think it had something to do with fit and finish
Fit and finish of the Fabspeeds are fine. Some have objected to the way the pipes cross, they find it obtrusive
Attached Images   
Old 10-02-2006, 11:47 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Great post Bill, thanks for the education!
Old 10-02-2006, 11:52 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'll reserve judgement until the dyno results are in. Also, until I can get my hands on a decent sound clip of the DACH's. (Can someone point me in the right direction on the latter )

Aesthetically, there is no comparison. The DACH's are beautiful.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:26 AM
all623
Instructor

Okay Chris, it's an expensive noisemaker. That's the honest answer and what I wanted to find out. My concern remains, still with no "uncorrupted" sound clips to judge by that for $700 it must be a grand slam sound. I would think you would want to get clips posted soon. Good to know dyno results are on the way too. Again, not trying to knock what you are selling but have been looking along the thread for some objective information; sound clips, dyno, x-pipe weight, etc.- whatever objective information you have to support. That's the easiest way for anyone to rule in/out your product without having to depend on subjective testimonials.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:37 AM
993inNC
Race Car

I understand, but Fabspeed is a business. I am one of two guys who came up with a cool looking piece that sounds great, and we do if for fun and because people have expressed an interest. I don't survive off of this and we don't have a "business", we are just doing something to do it thats all. I am trying as I type this to upload a huge track video that'll give some great sound of the pipes w/our cup muffs. But all you really need to do is a search for DACH and see how many people have bought and/or chimed in, in favor of what they have received. Yes not everything has been perfect on everyone of the sets (we had an early fit problem with the first bishoff we did), but you certainly won't find any gripes about them. Now do a Fab search.....on any of the boards and read how many people gripe about the quality, service, BS that's slung (heresay, never dealt with them) and how Mr. Fabianni is thought of (again for info purpose only, never dealt with the man). I am honest in what I tell people, I don't over sell. I'd be happy to let you talk with anyone who has bought them.....let you hear it from the horses mouth.
I appriciate you wanting to hear an accurate clip, working on it. But I think track record speaks for itself thus far
Old 10-03-2006, 08:45 AM
nbooth660
Intermediate

David,

Didn't bother with 100 cell cores as I wanted to know what they sounded like before spending too much cash. I kept my old cat and modified one from a breakers so I can swap it over at MOT time.

I am tempted by the RSRs as well.....

Nick.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bill,

Thanks for taking the time for the great, very informative and long post, excellent info! Those are some great photos too.

Why do you think Porsche didn't have equal length headers on some of it's race cars? I took some photos at Homestead from couple of GT3s and they looked similar (in principle) as regular GT3 headers (see image) which don't look that optimized to me and also I've seen 993 (if I remember correctly) supercup headers that weren't equal length.

Here's the image of GT3 headers.
Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Bill,

Why do you think Porsche didn't have equal length headers on some of it's race cars? I took some photos at Homestead from couple of GT3s and they looked similar (in principle) as regular GT3 headers (see image) which don't look that optimized to me and also I've seen 993 (if I remember correctly) supercup headers that weren't equal length.
I agree, many of the cars have what appear to the eye to be not as optimized as may be possible, the factory did use equal length separate headers on some cars but not others. These pics are of a 964 l/w, note the equal length headers, separate (very un964 like mufflers) etc. They went to a great deal of trouble for a very small production run. Those headers have been used on everything from SC/RS to 964RS/Cup
One can only surmise that the less optimal compromises are used for cost, packaging or class rules reasons

here is a complete GT3 exhaust
Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
I ran this set up and could send you a short video if you like, but it is a big file.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVdqcUudeqg

Quick Reply: Help With Sound of Fabspeed Catbypass vs X-Pipe and Other