Help With Sound of Fabspeed Catbypass vs X-Pipe and Other

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 08:12 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nbooth660
If I did it again I could probably avoid damging the old core and cut it in a different place. There are compressions in the casing to hold the core in place at either end. Knocking it from either direction pushes the core up to the compression if you know what I mean and will not budge.

I tried to get it out with a broom handle, but the bend on the outlet makes it vertually impossible. Also, the core is very dense with cells so would need drilling out.

Maybe the picture makes it clearer.

Nick.
That definitely makes it clearer - how many shops are good enough to cut open a cat, take out the cores, and re-weld it without affecting the fitment? Also, are shops legally allowed to modify a cat? How about if I tell them it's for a race car?
Old 10-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 383 Posts

Here is a sound clip of

Fabspeed cat by pass, stock mufflers

Fabspeed cat bypass, RSRs

The stock mufflers are far more liveable day to day, we did some rough measurements w/ a sound meter, w/Fabspeed cat bypass & w/ RSRs it was in the high 90s w/ stock very low 90s
Old 10-05-2006, 10:23 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Here is a sound clip of

The stock mufflers are far more liveable day to day, we did some rough measurements w/ a sound meter, w/Fabspeed cat bypass & w/ RSRs it was in the high 90s w/ stock very low 90s
So, would you say that stock mufflers with cat bypass is about equivalent to stock cats with RSRs?
Old 10-05-2006, 10:49 AM
nbooth660
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't have thought it would be difficult to find someone to do it. You could cut it and get the cores out yourself and get them to weld it. As long as you mark it out well before hand the shop can weld it up straight. As the cut is through the cross section the weld pulls itself straight as it is tacked around the circumference. Just need to make sure they can weld stainless and can back purge.

Nick
Old 10-05-2006, 11:18 AM
all623
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Here is a sound clip of

Bill, thanks for posting the sound clips- very helpful. The stock with Fabspeeds is the way I plan to go- ordering them this week. It sounds better than I anticpated.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:09 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 383 Posts

Never listened to cat w/ RSR so I cannot comment.

I am a car guy, I love the sound of
#1 3.8 w/ headers/Flowmaster
#2 3.6 w/ Fab cat bypass/RSR
#3 3.6 w/ Fab cat bypass/stock

all 3 are great, but neither 1 nor 2 will pass LRP, #3 is quiet enough and gives up little or nothing in the quality of the sound.

I have a set of stock and RSR mufflers, I put the stock on for a track day intending to swap back to the RSRs, Never happened because #3 is so nice!
Old 10-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The modded cat I saw had flaps cut out, thus avoiding the reconstruction issue.... Nice clips Bill!
Old 10-19-2006, 08:59 PM
all623
Instructor

Wow, finally purchased and installed the Fabspeed catbypass pipes and they sound wicked. Had two runs installing them and finally got it right after a complete teardown, including lining up the exhaust tips properly. No CEL light, no problems with idle or other. Using the Motorsound mufflers turned out way better than anticipated. They are plenty loud, but maybe not enough to be pulled over by the law. When the rain clears l will make a short video clip and post it. Thanks again for everyone's feedback and assistance.

Quick Reply: Help With Sound of Fabspeed Catbypass vs X-Pipe and Other