993 Forum 1995-1998

EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 02:31 AM
bugnbox
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads?

OK...I put in a set of EBC Green Stuff brake pads and all Im getting is an ear splitting screech every time I hit the brakes. First I thought the issue was that my rotors were old and that the grooves set up some sort of harmonics, so then I replaced the rotors with factory Porsche parts...still squeels like crazy. I thought perhaps I needed some of that brake pad goop, so I bought some of that, pulled it all apart again and spread it on the back of the pads...still a horrible screech. So now at my wits end I popped in the old pads just to see what happens...and they are as quiet as can be.

So...is the Green Stuff compound too hard or something? I think Im just going to order a set of stock pads and put them in there and be done with it.

Any input from those that have been there and done that?
Old 09-23-2006, 09:12 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I had the same problem, here's how I (mostly) solved it... take a hammer and chisel, and chisel a 45 degree angle into the leading edges of each pad on both sides (yeah, it's not pretty). Then take the SPRAY-ON red goop you get from PepBoys and gie two light coats to the back of each pad.

My Greenstuff pads are mostly squeal-free, and only squeal a little when they're hot. As soon as they cool off they go back to quiet. They DO have a slight grinding sound when stopping usually, but it's not a squeal so it doesn't drive you nuts.

Will I use Greenstuff pads again? Probably not. But they're a decent bargain imho because they have decent feel (almost as good as the Textars), good cold bite, and are very cheap. I haven't tried them on the track to any great extent, so I can't speak for their usability in those conditions. For the street, they're ok.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:56 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im no expert but I just had my rotors and Textar pads replaced replaced about a month ago (OEM) and I dont hear a peep.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:21 PM
richardlw
5th Gear

My green stuff pads squeal like hell - I kind of quite like it.

Richard

Quick Reply: EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads?