Sponsored by:

993TT REAR ENGINE LID RELEASE CABLE

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 01:01 PM
Dan993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 993TT REAR ENGINE LID RELEASE CABLE

I have searched the forums but did not find exactly what I need to know. Perhpas someone has run into this:

Engine lid release caable broke (I thought), somwhere inside the left rear fender area. I finally received a new cable, so I pulled out the original, from handle side. New and old cable are same length within an inch or two. Closer inspection reveals that the release system seems to be a two cable set up (96 993TT) with a shorter cable in the engine compartment attached to the latch, heading back into the left rear fender area.

I suspect that is I remove the wheel and inner fender liner, i will find a mechanism where the cable from the driver's door jamb attaches. I suspect that this cable attaches to the same mechanism as the cable from the engine compartment. This would be the safety back up system?

Anyone had to change this cable?

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Jim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is indeed the backup cable release behind the rear fender. Don't tell anyone but other Porsche owners.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:19 PM
Dan993
Instructor

Thanks. I did find this info by searching the forums. When I remove the inner fender liner, will i find the attachment point for the door jamb cable? I am now thinking that the cable did not break, it just pulled out of the clamp that hold it. Make sense?
Old 09-21-2006, 04:36 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

The release cable from the door jamb is a straight run to the engine lid latch, no connections. If it won't release, it is either broken, or the pinch bolt in the latch has slipped.

You can add an emergency release cable that runs from the latch into the wheel well, but is hidden by the fender liner, just like the one for the front lid.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Dan993
Instructor

Thanks. I now have a diagram and see where I confused the emergency cable connetion for the actual release cable connection. it appears that my cable did not break, it just pulled out from beneath the pinch bolt. I should be able to slip the new cable in without problem. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 993TT REAR ENGINE LID RELEASE CABLE