993 Forum 1995-1998

Belt tensioner warning light. Help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 02:09 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Chris,

Yes, that was us! A bunch of us, some from Nor Cal, some from So Cal had a cruise to the Sandpiper (?) restaurant in Goleta, and then were trying to find our way to a local Porsche guy's house for drinks. We got lost, and had to double back. That was Pong (CP on this board) with the metallic black BTR.

What function does that BCM perform? Why is it in the circuit for the belt light? Seems like overkill, but in a typical Porsche way. Is there any way that the BCM could get involved with a mysterious CEL with an 1140 code? Pretty much everything has been checked out... the main turbo boost hoses (turbo to intercooler) are split and not making a good seal on the turbos. They are scheduled for replacement this week.

Thanks again. Any other details you want to share on that Andial 3.8?
Old 09-19-2006, 02:58 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Steve,

I must apologize, I am using "body control module" as kindof a generic term, the module I am referring to controls all the warning lights/sensors/gauges in the instrument cluster, which there are many in the 993. In the Porsche wiring diagram they refer to it as a "central controller" or something vague like that. Most cars today have some sort of "body control module" that controls stuff like door locks, windows, lights, etc. I should not have used this term to describe the one that has all the instrument stuff in it, sorry to confuse you further; 993s have a separate alarm control unit that monitors the locks/windows/doors/interior lights etc (aren't modern cars fun?). if you think the 993 has too many computers, look at the newer BMW 7 series, it has about 100 computers on board! Once again, check for continuity in the circuit first before you condemn the control module!

Any CEL that you have has nothing to do with this instrument module ( I guess thats a good name); the DME (or ECU/PCM whatever you want to call it) is what controls/monitors the engine and sets CELs if something is out of whack. Code 1140 is for MAF sensor signal, could be air leak, could be the MAF sensor itself, but replacing those turbo hoses sounds like a good start. Have your mechanic check for vacuum leaks w/ a smoke detector, those are the best tools known to man.

Oh yeah, the Andial 3.8tt we have right now needs to have the engine come apart, the guy blew something at the track a couple weeks ago! Cyls 2 and 3 have no compression; I am yanking the engine out tomorrow and the meister Henry and I are gonna go through it and see what happened. I will post pics/updates on the 993tt board if I can.

---Chris
Old 09-19-2006, 08:41 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Chris,

Thanks for all the time you've spent helping me out with these issues and my doofus questions. Turbo hoses go on Thursday, along with a smoke test, and more debug of the belt tensioner errr... instrument control module. It certainly makes logical sense that if an "open" causes a light to go ON, there must be a relay somewhere in that system.

The Andial.... gulp. I guess you gotta pay if you wanna play, but OUCH... that's gotta smart a bit!

I hope to meet you someday.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:32 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Alright Steve we got that engine out and I took a bit of a closer look at the wire from the belt tension sensor. One wire is green w/ a brown stripe just as in the wiring diagram, the other one the diagram says "orange," i guess I'd say "burnt orange." The orange one goes to ground, and the green/brown one disappears into the harness, which is plugged into the power distribution panel on the left of the engine compartment, the connector w/ 20 pins. I'd say check for continuity there first, but since you have a whole new harness i'd imagine this is OK. There is another connector under the driver's seat, check for continuity there as well, and make sure both connections are clean and tight. From there the wire goes into the aforementioned instrument module, and another wire of the same color comes out of the ICM and into the bulb in the clock.

The ICM is under the cowling on the firewall, but it is buried under a bunch of crap. I didn't have time to do this, but you can pop the clock out and see where the wire from the belt tension light bulb goes, and you're there. Once again, if there is continuity everywhere and the light is still on, and the tension sensor is good, then try swapping a different ICM. If that doesn't work then I'm out of ideas man! Anyway good luck, hopefully this annoying little problem gets resolved. Defnitely bring you car by the shop if you're ever in Santa Barbara again, it has been sadly Ruf-free since we worked on the Yellow Bird last year.

---

Chris Andropoulos
Schneider Autohaus
Santa Barbara, CA
Old 09-21-2006, 01:43 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Chris,

I'll definitely come up to see you one of these days. Tell me more about the visit from Yellow Bird... was that a couple of years ago when Alois brought yellow bird out to the west coast? What service did you perform?

Again, thanks for all your help... I'll keep you posted on how this comes out
Old 09-21-2006, 02:42 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

The Yellow Bird was here just last year, Alois and Estonia did some sort of seminar at CalPoly and they brought it over there. I think this was also around the time Road and Track did the standing mile challenge as well. I first laid eyes on it at the Ventura Show last year, had no idea it was gonna be there. It was awesome, but then I heard that a good customer of ours was keeping it at his house in SB, and the head tech at my shop drove it from Ventura back to SB after the show. I followed in his Carrera 3.2. I could not keep up. We ended up keeping it at the shop for most of a week in October, we changed the suspension bushings from plastic racing ones back to stock rubber and reset the ride height, since its mostly a street car now, not used as a device to terrorize customers around the racetrack.

I unfortunately only drove the Yellow Bird in the parking lot, but even that was cool. It of course had German plates and was totally unregistered here, and I think we had to take out a temporary insurance policy on it. I did get to ride in it form SB to Monterey for the ALMS race at Laguna Seca last year, it was amazing! The car runs so rich you can smell it but it is ridiculously fast, 500+ hp in a 2500# car. When the freeway was open, the guy driving it would punch it in 4th gear, not even downshift, at 100 km/hr and it would get up to 175 in a couple seconds. That's 60-100+ in no time at all, in a taller gear, and lag wasn't too bad. It made the most amazing sounds I've ever heard in a turbo car as well, perfect exhaust note, w/ turbo spooling, wastegate and dump valve overtones.

Anyway that was fun, I also got to meet Alois and Estonia last month in Monterey, they are great people. I saw em again the next day in LA when I went to pick up a customer's car they were borrowing, and I got to drive the R Spyder on PCH, that is an amazing car as well. All right enough typing, heres a pic of me in the Yellow Bird in front of the shop.

Quick Reply: Belt tensioner warning light. Help.