Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using the Protomotive Stage 1 Turbo System?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 10:25 PM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone using the Protomotive Stage 1 Turbo System?

Protomotive has a Turbo system for 993NA that brings them up to 400BHP+ for $12K in parts.
That sounds to me as the best choice for the money.
Has anyone done this yet? I'm really interested in hearing the results.
http://www.geocities.com/protomotive/obd993.html
Chris
Old 09-16-2006, 01:52 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Todd is well regarded and there are a few here who have Protomotive systems although I don't think anyone here has doenthe OBD Stage 1. IMHO, I think the OBD Stage 2 is the way to go.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:42 AM
Freddy
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Protomotive did some cars....
More power = more heat... then they increae the oil tank size... and car remains cool for a little longer... then...

Freddy
Attached Images   
Old 09-16-2006, 11:53 AM
Michael_Philippi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be watching this thread closely, since I am seriously considering this mod myself. I'd really be interested in some real world feedback between the stage I and stage II systems on the subject of driveability and durability.

Michael
Old 09-16-2006, 12:57 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 129 Posts

Hmmm... keeping the stock compression seems risky at best. The only way I would go with a turbo system is if the whole P/cs were dropped to 8:1 and the valve train beefed up. Slapping a TT system on a stock NA engine is a bad idea. Besides, you can get a tt engine complete for about 20K or better yet just buy a TT. I think that there is false economy in the bolt-on systems, with the exception of the TPC supercharger.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:59 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

Freddy, I am interested to learn more from you about increasing the size of my car's oil tank, so will I be able to reduce my temps (before my engine breaks that is?). Can you please elaborate on the technical side of it?

BTW what is that thing in the pictures?

There is no risk with high compression engines, they just reduce the boost levels, these cars will run at 0.4 Bar or so, they have springs in the wategates that prevent them from going beyond, unless you use a boost controller. An intercooler is a must do, otherwise, don't even try to run them on a track. The N/A heads, intake and throttle body are more efficient than the turbo engines, let alone that they are twin plug, so the results are outstanding at low boost as a result I would expect them to have great low end response, better than a 993TT.

As far as value, I don't know, I would probably buy a 993TT altogether, but the cost is not the same either. I also don't know about those power claims but knowing what they build, I am sure it will be fast.

You might want to check the 964 board, usually there is always someone who has this sort of conversion. Here is a similar one but it is a stage 2 or 3 I think.

Last edited by Jean; 09-17-2006 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:35 PM
Freddy
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Jean,

That thing is far from my taste... but it is fast... very fast. It was dynoed at 900hp... (I did not see it at the dynamometer) but it drives really fast - and this is something I can confirm. Regarding the oil tank larger capacity all I can say is that it is a silly thing that is used on some of these cars that I do not understand... Maybe you could teach us the benefit... all I know is that this car runs with more than 20 quarts of oil...

Freddy
Old 09-17-2006, 02:14 AM
shu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW, you guys have definately got my full attention. Im interested in the stage I turbo....I'll be watching this thread. Like to see how it does. 400 hp would be a dream! Looks like I the only other expense would be the turbo tail?
Old 09-17-2006, 02:39 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shu
WOW, you guys have definately got my full attention. Im interested in the stage I turbo....I'll be watching this thread. Like to see how it does. 400 hp would be a dream! Looks like I the only other expense would be the turbo tail?
IIRC Stage 1 does not require a turbo tail as their is no intercooler....so the plus is that you'd be pretty stealty but no offense to Todd, 400hp might be optimistic and if I were to do and engine mod I would do the Stage 2 with all the works, or a TPC SC kit or TT motor swap which would be more cost effective. Or a regeared tranny which is best bang for the buck once you get to the 3-4K+ price range for mods.
Originally Posted by TomF
Hmmm... keeping the stock compression seems risky at best. The only way I would go with a turbo system is if the whole P/cs were dropped to 8:1 and the valve train beefed up. Slapping a TT system on a stock NA engine is a bad idea. Besides, you can get a tt engine complete for about 20K or better yet just buy a TT. I think that there is false economy in the bolt-on systems, with the exception of the TPC supercharger.
As you point out, the Stage 1 is a bolt-on w/no internal work but it runs very low boost. It runs similar boost to the TPC kit and if you have reservations w/running Protomotive's set-up then you should also have issues with the TPC SC kit (both w/no intercooeler). I agree that once you take into acct the install costs and time/add'l cost to get these sorted out, it's not as cheap as one thinks, esp w/ the additional wear and tear. That said, I think there have been a few really good TPC installs done by Rennlisters, and I would guess that if you don't DYI, to do a TPC install properly is 10-11k and 13-15k for Proto's Stage 1. And while I am not a customer of either, from what I've heard Proto's customer service is better than TPCs

My $0.02

Quick Reply: Anyone using the Protomotive Stage 1 Turbo System?