993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling my car....maybe....need input!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006 | 12:28 AM
adams993
Burning Brakes

Default Selling my car....maybe....need input!

Hey guys...so i have been tossing around te idea of selling my car for a few weeks now. I hardly drive...and when I do, it is short enough distances for me to ride my bike. Anyhow, click the link below in my Signature and take a peek at the pics of my car....I paid $45,000 for it in March of 2005....and it had 48k miles on it. Now it has 58k miles on it, and a ton of RUF parts, GT3 seats, etc etc. I would of course be replacing the cats, and the secondary heater, etc etc. Anyhow, any insight is greatly appreciated. Could I get $52k for it? Or what do you guys think. Also, anyone here interested?
ADAM
Old 09-15-2006 | 12:35 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Adam,
While the car looks nice with the mods you've done, I'd be hard pressed to agree that it has gained in value. For $52,000, most folks will be looking for a nice original example (with that mileage). You've performed a few somewhat irreversible mods that lower the value to some people. That's just my opinion though.

Andreas
Old 09-15-2006 | 12:38 AM
adams993
Burning Brakes

What mods are irreversible?
ADAM
Old 09-15-2006 | 12:43 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

The headlight washers come to mind....

Andreas
Old 09-15-2006 | 12:48 AM
pcar
Rennlist Member

Damn..the headlight washer delete is my favorite!
Old 09-15-2006 | 12:57 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

..after so much work you've put into it, It seems a HUGE shame to sell it. looks to me like some GREAT mods...

...but I have to wonder who would see the value (I have little doubt that your investment in those mods matches your price point and is probably lower than your actual investment)..

...I guess if someone out there has their heart set on a RUF look 993, then you'd have a very quick easy sale (if that's what you want to do)
Old 09-15-2006 | 01:23 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adams993
Hey guys...so i have been tossing around te idea of selling my car for a few weeks now. I hardly drive...and when I do, it is short enough distances for me to ride my bike. Anyhow, click the link below in my Signature and take a peek at the pics of my car....I paid $45,000 for it in March of 2005....and it had 48k miles on it. Now it has 58k miles on it, and a ton of RUF parts, GT3 seats, etc etc. I would of course be replacing the cats, and the secondary heater, etc etc. Anyhow, any insight is greatly appreciated. Could I get $52k for it? Or what do you guys think. Also, anyone here interested?
ADAM
Adam,
All I can say is, carefully consider your decision. It looks like you put a fair
amount of work into the car and enthusiastically documented your modifications
with photos. You probably have an emotional attachment to this car and shouldn't make any hasty decisions selling it. You also put 10000 miles on it in a year and a half! Thats more than my mileage on all cars combined for the same period!
That being said I can agree with the previous assessment that original cars
with similar mileage will usually command more money than modified cars
but, you never know. The right buyer with similar tastes to your's may be
delighted in finding a car with all the mods already done. Personally I am
more into original myself, but that's me (my friends don't call me origin-AL)
for nothing.
Be patient and good luck in your decision!
Old 09-15-2006 | 01:26 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

..after so much work you've put into it, It seems a HUGE shame to sell it. looks to me like some GREAT mods...
I agree but it seems like it happens all the time. Good luck Adam
Old 09-15-2006 | 01:32 AM
adams993
Burning Brakes

It comes down to money. I owe $26,XXX on the car...and a $600 payment is dumb.....i make very little money and the car means that I am living above my means...if i sold it and bought a car....like a Cooper S, or 9-3 Viggen for cash, i would be able to live much more comforatbly. I dont want to sell her, but i'm brizzoke.
ADAM
Old 09-15-2006 | 01:49 AM
CP
Race Director

Adam,

That's a lot of TLC on the car. I'm sad to hear that you're financially stressed by it. But I guess it happens.

Your car takes a special buyer. The causal buyer will rarely pay for those tasteful up-grades. It takes time, some times a long time, for the special buyer to find your car. It's a fight between staying power and financial demands. Only you can make that decision.

I made some very custom mods to my RUF BTR. Sometimes (very rarely) I wonder of anyone else will appreciate it when I sell. Most of the time I just enjoy my car knowing that I don't need to sell it.

Good luck when you actually sell. DuPont Registry may be a good source for your special car. My impression is that they cater to buyers with uncommon taste/demands. Someone correct me if I am wrong about that.

CP
Old 09-15-2006 | 01:53 AM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

You've done a lot of work the last year Adam. The mods look great. Sorry to hear your thinking about letting it go. But it's also hard to enjoy it when your broke. Tough choice but if that's were your at it might be the right move. Good luck. Somebody will get a very unique C4S.
Old 09-15-2006 | 01:58 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Adam,

Ouch... I can feel your pain. That is a spectactular looking car, and I would think you can get very close to what you're asking. I feel awful for you... you finally have that car looking just the way you want it... and I think it looks great. There are some who will think 58k miles is "high miles"... less than 6k/year. Your miles wouldn't scare me. However, you price is beginning to edge into 993TT territory.

Best of luck.
Old 09-15-2006 | 02:18 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

My ultimate goal is to move back to Paris, parceque je suis un vrai francophile!
Bonjour Adam
If ever this is still on hand, there could be an excellent alternative.
1-Shipping the car to europe = $800
2-Register it for personal use (you have to use it for 6 months) insurance =$600
3-Sell it in Europe 50k - 53k euros = $63K - $67K
I could give you a hand on that and introduce you to the main dealer here
but I think your car will sell best in Germany or Belgium
4-Enjoy Paris = priceless
Old 09-15-2006 | 02:39 AM
adams993
Burning Brakes

The Paris idea is a great one, as I already lived in France, and have come close to mastering the language...it would be even easier. And as far as a lesser car....you guys have to understand, I maybe drive 1 time a week MAX....i am a big time cyclist, and take my bike everywhere. I dunno, I really just need a car with room inside it for a bike....and better gas mileage....thus a Mini, or 9-3 Viggen....i dunno. The 911 is great...but if i had it to do over again, I would get a Turbo.
ADAM
Old 09-15-2006 | 02:57 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Hey Adam
Why don't you sell the seats and put the old ones back in,
this will buy you some time to think about it and
possibly a way to come up with a solution.
This advice is if you are really in love with this car and after all the mods,
I can't see why not.
It's a beautiful car and I don't think you'll have any problem selling it.
Either way, best of luck to you bro, Chris

Quick Reply: Selling my car....maybe....need input!