993 Forum 1995-1998

painting my ducts...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 02:32 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kgorman
I just got some paint from paintscratch.com. I will be DIY painting my ducts this weekend. I will report back to let ya know how it went. I just have the paint, and clearcoat.

Anyone know where you can get cheap bumper plugs that are not painted yet?
hey kgorman (look forward to seeing!) ~ i got my plugs @ the dealer (cost me like 90¢). just go to the local porsche parts counter... they should have the ultra small ones that fit the oem bumper holes perfectly (smaller than the larger "bumper-plugs", which i prefer). come in black, so i was lucky, but sure they can be painted to your color.

btw / fwiw : the paint kit (minus some prep stuff i did not need) i purchased from paintscratch was for plastic.... spent a little over $70... but i know i'll be using it for more than just the ducts.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:34 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Originally Posted by TroyN
Here's a great painted duck!

Old 09-15-2006, 02:37 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

For those that do their own painting, before you start, do you need to make sure that you have all your ducts in a row...?
Old 09-15-2006, 04:53 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

Rich, I have a decent spray gun if you need to borrow it.. you need a good compressor though..

Coleman.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:45 AM
24FPS
Drifting

aghhh... thanx coleman! btw: met a guy from 'dc shoes' who knows you & your work .

back on subject:
... i'm friggin' pissed (not drunk)!!!

so i open my box from perfomance products & then see they friggin' sent me 964 ducts!!! after (for a second) considering cutting them down w/ my dremmel i decided to take 'em back so i drove there to exchange & they don't have the 993 ones in stock! (ended up buying floormats, & a bunch of crap i did not need!)

so my ducts are hosed for this weekend. damnit!

will have to go down next weekend. guess i'll try betterbodies. ... unless anyone has another source??? anyone?
Old 10-02-2006, 10:12 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Here is a pic of the finished product, I can take a closer one if anyone wants it. The paint supplied by http://www.paintscratch.com was fantastic. I am not the best spray painter, but it came out nice. I sanded both ducts (http://www.gettydesign.com), and then applied about 5 coats of the paint, then 1 of the clear coat. Then I put some Zymoil wax on them to match the car. I also bought some plugs from Kragen for about $2, and painted them as well. They fit right it!

The paint color is a great match.. It looks just fine.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:07 AM
24FPS
Drifting

looks perfect kgorman!!! i am officially jealous!

funny b/c those are the same size ducts i got from perfomance (wrong for the 993)... i have since communicated w/ neil @ getty design (no aff'l) re: doing up a cf duct for the 993's & he told me he'd put that on his "to do" list........... may have 993 ducts by later this month! -hope... if that's the case , i will try & just clearcoat the cf & see how that looks before actually painting them w/ the paintscratch product. -can't wait!

btw: if anyone is interested in a gb lemme' know... because maybe we can get a deal to boot.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:29 PM
hidden impact
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i purchased mine from vertex(gets them from better bodies):
http://www.vertexauto.com/index.php?...detail&sk=3366

i cannot say it was the easiest DIY. i had to do a considerable amount of trimming, but if you do not have bumperettes, it should be an easier DIY.

my $0.02

Last edited by hidden impact; 10-03-2006 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: painting my ducts...