Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Higher mileage 993's, How well are they doing???

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:44 AM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy Birthday to YOU!!! You and your car are still quite fit.
Here's to many more...

I also agree that this is an encouraging thread, since I just passed the 100,000 mile-stone.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:05 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happy B-day Adrienne.

Well maintained these cars can go a long way. I'm up to nearly 46,000 miles.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
These cars do well, when maintained, in higher mileages -- they are solid cars!
"When maintained" is a very good point. Should I mention the $2k "birthday present" I gave my car yesterday, for a new ignition and brake pads all around?

ps - thanks for the Birthday wishes!!
Old 04-22-2009, 12:12 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 247 Posts

Happy 21st B'day A'!!!
Old 04-22-2009, 04:41 PM
hyphenf15
Pro

107K and counting on a 96 C4. Great car. New brake master cylinder and resevoir replaced by dealer at purchase with 82K. IA aluminum valve covers for the lowers to fix oil leaks. LWF/Clutch/slave cylinder and rear lower control arms replaced at 90K. PSS10 suspension replaced the original setup at 95K to include bigger sways, new tie rods, and poly bushings for the front control arms. Drives like it is on rails now. Had one road trip issue with a bearing failure on the alternator that was fixed in half a day by Brumos and I was on my way. No other issues other than the CEL for the SAI. I replaced the SAI valve to no avail so the next task would be going after the ports. Maybe when I do a top end rebuild, if that is ever required. Oil use well within limits. Time for new tires soon - standard.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:41 PM
hyphenf15
Pro

107K and counting on a 96 C4. Great car. New brake master cylinder and resevoir replaced by dealer at purchase with 82K. IA aluminum valve covers for the lowers to fix oil leaks. LWF/Clutch/slave cylinder and rear lower control arms replaced at 90K. PSS10 suspension replaced the original setup at 95K to include bigger sways, new tie rods, and poly bushings for the front control arms. Drives like it is on rails now. Had one road trip issue with a bearing failure on the alternator that was fixed in half a day by Brumos and I was on my way. No other issues other than the CEL for the SAI. I replaced the SAI valve to no avail so the next task would be going after the ports. Maybe when I do a top end rebuild, if that is ever required. Oil use well within limits. Time for new tires soon - standard.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:13 AM
msw
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 16 Posts
Smile

update on 97 turbo...

recently crossed 240K miles.

still original clutch, turbos

original brake pads/rotors replaced at 225K service...
Old 04-24-2009, 01:29 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by msw
update on 97 turbo...
msw, in general, what is your driving style? I looked through a few of your old posts when I read of your car in this thread, and if I remember right you do a lot of highway miles, with minimal city driving, is that correct?

How often do you wind it out to redline? I've seen a number of posts here that indicate that the more the engine is used regularly to it's full potential, i.e., 4k & 5k+ RPMs, that they can actually run better, and I'm wondering if that holds true in your case.

I don't mean to say that an engine used exclusively in a track toy would last as long, just one that is exercised regularly and driven hard once in awhile, but consistently... Maintained well, driven conservatively at less than operating temps, etc.

Also, I noticed you've been through 3 or 4 sets of Bilstein HD's. I think I've also read that they are rebuildable, and I wondered if you meant entirely new shocks/struts each time, or just rebuilds.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:40 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Purchased 5 yrs ago with 48K miles - now at around 84.....hmmm 4-8...8-4......

Outside of the standard stuff done at the 60k service:
-starter motor
-steering rack
-front tie rods
-some obscure rear trailing arms or something or other due to split rubber pieces (nice....$500 in parts for non-replaceable rubber bushing thingies...whatta deal!)
-brake master cyl
-replace air dam in rear retractable spoiler
-dampers swapped for PSS9s
-rotors all 4-corners
-pads all 4-corners
-top end (new: plug wires, valve guides, rings, every seal or gasket possible without cracking the case in half)
-rebuild distributors
-replace all plug wires due to misfire codes and putting it off at the 60K service
-clutch
-two window switches
-a few light bulbs in the guages
-two sets of front tires- three sets of rears or was it four?
-front bumper and hood respray with clear film wrap (recently messed up by some female ditz who thought she was putting her car in forward not reverse and I didn't notice the damage..."golly, F and R on the auto tranny selector look so much alike!")
-wiper blades
-resolder connectors for some leds in third brake light
-reweld door check strap
-replace faulty reverse light switch on tranny
-replace on way Y-valve for headlight washer fluid lead to nozzle (big fun - front bumper removal DIY)
Old 04-24-2009, 03:19 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
Purchased 5 yrs ago with 48K miles - now at around 84.....hmmm 4-8...8-4......

Outside of the standard stuff done at the 60k service:
-starter motor
-steering rack
-front tie rods
-some obscure rear trailing arms or something or other due to split rubber pieces (nice....$500 in parts for non-replaceable rubber bushing thingies...whatta deal!)
-brake master cyl
-replace air dam in rear retractable spoiler
-dampers swapped for PSS9s
-rotors all 4-corners
-pads all 4-corners
-top end (new: plug wires, valve guides, rings, every seal or gasket possible without cracking the case in half)
-rebuild distributors
-replace all plug wires due to misfire codes and putting it off at the 60K service
-clutch
-two window switches
-a few light bulbs in the guages
-two sets of front tires- three sets of rears or was it four?
-front bumper and hood respray with clear film wrap (recently messed up by some female ditz who thought she was putting her car in forward not reverse and I didn't notice the damage..."golly, F and R on the auto tranny selector look so much alike!")
-wiper blades
-resolder connectors for some leds in third brake light
-reweld door check strap
-replace faulty reverse light switch on tranny
-replace on way Y-valve for headlight washer fluid lead to nozzle (big fun - front bumper removal DIY)
Sounds like a lemon.

Might not be too late to get a buy-back from the factory.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:33 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
At 57,350 doing great!! Ok, my car is still a teenager with raging hormones still.
The above was me on 9/14/2006

Just turned 68,000 and holding strong!! Nothing more to report from a few years ago. Averaging about 6000 miles a year.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:59 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 255 Posts

joining the party a bit late...

Just clocked 130k miles! Car looks and drive fantastically. Cost of ownership has been outstanding (I've had the car since late 1999), much better than the POS 97 BMW 540i I have.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:17 AM
msw
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 16 Posts

mongrelcat,

no track time. mostly highway miles (trek through san francisco to highway, then another 25-50 miles to offices). but it goes everywhere.
no idea if it effects anything but-
1. drive rpm well above 3 and very close to 4...figure that's why the germans put 4 at the 12 o'clock position...also if I remember, slope of torque curve is steepest just above 4 for those quick getaways...
2. take out of gear at light
3. drive as much as possible...absolutely no question runs better when driven...and driven hard
4. redline...don't know how 'often' but it definitely sees it

i always 'replaced' the HD's...no offense but i'm never sure what i'm getting with 'rebuilt'
Old 04-24-2009, 11:26 AM
herman maire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msw
update on 97 turbo...

recently crossed 240K miles.

still original clutch, turbos

original brake pads/rotors replaced at 225K service...
240k miles!!!! Thats really, really coooool. Just wondering, what oil do you use?

thanks
Old 04-24-2009, 12:48 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just turned 100K. I've had my car for two years and have put 16K on it. And amazingly, I haven't had to do a single mechanical repair of any kind on it. My 993 has been the most reliable car I've owned.

Quick Reply: Higher mileage 993's, How well are they doing???