Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mileage:Cost ratio

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 06:24 PM
bv shady
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd pass carfax isn't clean and high miles. summers almost over you'll find something in your range eventually, the wait will be worth it in the long run.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:52 PM
HeelToe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm very happy to say that I just picked it up 2 days ago after a satisfactory personal inspection and a fairly long test drive. I think the carfax showing an accident involving the left rear really affected the asking price. But having checked it out thoroughly, paying particular attention to the left rear, the car is still an exceptional deal for the price.
It's a 2-owner car, driven by "adults" - a relative term, I know, but the clutch is original at 122k miles, hubs and bearings have been replaced, no oil leaks of any kind, no rattles or other funny noises and the interior is in excellent condition, although the nose could use a respray.

The good thing is that now I have a very healthy "goodies" budget, which I have already begun to distribute to various aftermarket suppliers. The windows have already been tinted, smoked clear corners, brake cooling ducts , new headlight covers and an HID kit are on order, wheels and tires are on their way, LPMM modification scheduled along with an RS light flywheel. I just have to come to a decision on the PSS-9 versus Bilstein HD/M030 issue and I'm looking into having a 100-cell cat fabricated (I think the Dansk cats are too expensive at $1,500).
This is fun!
Old 09-15-2006, 07:00 PM
HeelToe
Advanced

Originally Posted by 993inNC
I'll fight cha for it ........BTW don't you already have a Miata to sell first?

I'd buy that thing at 20K and not think twice!
Actually, at this price, I'm not sure if I should sell the Miata. It's a hell of a lot of fun on the track and I don't really worry about hitting anything with it, which results in very quick lap times

I don't know if it's worth it, but I may just go all out and make it a track-only car. It's kind of a waste, but there's really no good compromise, suspension-wise, between road and track. No matter how stiff I set the car up on the track, it always needs more, particularly in quick transitions, like the esses at Lime Rock, and no streetable suspension will allow that range of adjustment.

It's also very nice having a convertible, but a 993 cab is just not my style, though.
Tough choice
Old 09-15-2006, 07:29 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think $36k is a little high for the 95 C4. Thats what I paid for mine 3 years ago with 34k on it. That was exhaust upgrade, silver gauges, aluminium shifter and pedals. new tires, 30k tune up, car cover, $4k stereo, tire air pump, immobilzer, and a few other gadgets and in great shape and all records. Oh yea, and he tossed in a

Add $1k for the tires, $1200 for the 60k tune up, maybe $800 for the windshield-your back at a $40k vehicle.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:03 AM
HeelToe
Advanced

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
I think $36k is a little high for the 95 C4. Thats what I paid for mine 3 years ago with 34k on it. That was exhaust upgrade, silver gauges, aluminium shifter and pedals. new tires, 30k tune up, car cover, $4k stereo, tire air pump, immobilzer, and a few other gadgets and in great shape and all records. Oh yea, and he tossed in a

Add $1k for the tires, $1200 for the 60k tune up, maybe $800 for the windshield-your back at a $40k vehicle.
I agree - $36k was too much, given what's available at $40k, which is why I didn't go with that C4.
I know there are good deals out there, after all, I've been searching for about 9 months. The problem is it had to be a black/tan or black/black coupe with a 6-speed - there are surpsrisinlgy few of these out there. I was very surprised by the number of cabs.
In the end I'm happy with my 993 - it's not perfect, but it's mechanically sound and after having replaced the headlight covers, front emblem, adding smoked corners and a bit of polishing and wax - it looks outstanding!!!
Most people could never guess the mileage.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:09 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you got the high miles one? Did you pay less than his $22K? (if I can be so bold to ask )
Old 09-17-2006, 12:15 AM
HeelToe
Advanced

Originally Posted by 993inNC
So you got the high miles one? Did you pay less than his $22K? (if I can be so bold to ask )
He was asking $22,500 and I paid $22k. He had gotten a lot of calls and that's as far as he would go. The only real issue, aside from the carfax cloud was that it still has the original clutch at 120k. I don't really care though, since I wanted to do a an RS LWF anyway.

Quick Reply: Mileage:Cost ratio