993 Forum 1995-1998

New Hankook tires VS Hoosiers

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 05:34 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default New Hankook tires VS Hoosiers

I just spent a weekend at Laguna Seca...I tried out the new Hankook (Hoosier knock-offs) and a set of Hoosiers as well (Latest formulation). I took the Hankooks out on day 1, of 3, heated them up and let them cool for 24 hours...I then went to my Hoosiers. In fact, I let the Hankooks sit until day 3 where I ran a 15 lap race on them.....they do hook up.

Is there any noticeable difference between these two tires? They seemed fairly similar to me...I can tell you this...I believe the Hossier/Hankook style DOT tires are good for 2 seconds a lap better than the Toyo RA-1 tires....the Hankooks are about $100 a set cheaper than the Hoosiers...by the way.*

Since I now trailer my car to events, I will no longer be using RA-1 tires. They are not that much cheaper then the Hoosier/Hankook tires: Hoosier @ $1,000 a set, Hankook at $900 and the RA-1s a little less...about $800 as I recall.

If you ever go to a Hankook or Hoosier DOT race tire, you'll never go back...they are that good. And the extra $ for two (2) seconds?...worth it!

End of September I will head for Buttonwillow with these tires. There I will keep more detailed notes.

* These prices were for 17" tires, I now run 18", mo money, mo money! May 1, 2010

Last edited by Martin S.; 05-02-2011 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Update
Old 05-02-2011, 03:10 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile I recant nearly all that I wrote earlier...

May 1, 2011, just back from 2 days at Willow Springs in Rosamond, CA. A great race weekend....

On Saturday, I started with the heat cycled Hankook Z 214 tires, which have a hardness rating of 40...as suggested in another thread, I started them at 31 Lbs. cold....ran them for 20 minutes, could get the pressure up to 40 Lbs...For about $1,050 out the door, they performed acceptably well....but during the race (25 minutes), I could feel them going off a bit toward the end of the race.

Today, I swapped the tires left to right side, ran a practice and my qualifier...did OK. Qualified better than yesterday, #13 out of 35.

Then I decided, why not give the NT-01 tires some love. They too had one heat cycle and weeks to cure. These are the tires I ran May 1 in the 25 minute race. As most know Nitto NT-01 tires have a hardness rating of 100. And some say they need shaving...I didn't shave them.

These performance of these tires was very good, in fact, I think better for me than the Hankook Z 214 tires. They were consistent throughout today's 15 lap race, from start to finish and never went off. When the event results comes up on mylaps.com, I will see if my race times were quicker on the Hankooks, or the Nittos.

With both being priced about the same, $1,050 mounted and balanced and out the door, at this point I'd choose the Nittos.

I also have a set of 18" Kumho 710 tires. The track tire mounter could not seem to get them mounted...something about the bead, side walls too soft, or??? None of it made sense to me. Once these are mounted up, I will give them a try...they are more $$$ than the Hankooks and Nittos, probably around $1,200, the bill hasn't come in yet.

All the top running club racers with Porsche Owners Club are running Kumho 710s on their 2,600 Lb cars. I am hoping the 710 will hold up on a 3200 Lb car, my 993. If not, I am back to 2 sets of NT-01 for practice tires, and 1 set of Hoosiers R6 for qualifying and racing.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:50 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Martin, you are simply re-iterating to most of us that Hoosiers are made of purified crack. We already know that

Couple of questions/comments. Which compound Hankooks did you run? I assume compound 51 (the harder of the two Hankook compounds)?

Also, Nitto is owned by Toyo AFAIK and 01s have very similar compound and structure to 888s.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

"Martin, you are simply re-iterating to most of us that Hoosiers are made of purified crack. We already know that

Couple of questions/comments. Which compound Hankooks did you run? I assume compound 51 (the harder of the two Hankook compounds)?

Also, Nitto is owned by Toyo AFAIK and 01s have very similar compound and structure to 888s."

Hoosiers, Hoosier stickers...dream tires! Very "crack" like indeed....I do have a set of Kumho 710 tires...I will test them out in a week or so at Buttonwillow Raceway. Lots of our former Hoosier DOT guys have gone over to Kumho 710 tires.

Indeed, the Z 214 tires are the C51 compound. Nitto is a joint venture between Toyo and....???? I have the info in a newsletter, must look it up and update this string, assuming anyone cares. The compound R888 and NT-01 compound may be similar, or the same, but the tread design of the NT-01 compared to the
R-888 is clearly different. I have yet to find one supporter of the R888 tire...maybe I just have not asked the right person.

For the money, the NT-01 is a hell of a tires...can get 16 to 20 heat cycles...$1,050 out the door...but for a few $$$ more, Hoosier R6...and maybe Kunho 710, assuming they work on a 3200 LB car with driver and fuel.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:48 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not news that RA1/NT01 can be run to the cord, and performance is there all the way. The only experience I have with 'Kooks is via the pro Spec Miata series of yesteryear (where my car came from), and the old owner of my car bought new tires for each of qual and race on his way to the championship in that series. Hoosiers? Sure. Got my first taste of them in maybe '93 or '94, whenever they hit the market. (We won't even mention proper slicks...................)

Just depends if you're actually racing (as you are), or banging laps at the DE. For my purposes with the yellow car, on a day like last Thursday I was stuck in traffic all day long and (as I noted in another thread I posted) it was costing me a buck a mile just in fuel cost.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Ken writes, " (he) bought new tires for each of qual and race on his way to the championship in that series."

If you want absolutely peak performance and money is no object, a new set of tires for each qualifying session and race is the way to go. But on the 993, a set of Hoosiers is about $1,200.....when it comes down to it, I won't do this. I guess I just don't want to win a championship that bad, assuming of course, that thjis approach would put me over the top each race.

A well prepped 964 car, probably a little lighter than may car, and very well driven, was kicking my *** on Nitto NT-01. He drives the car to the track on these tires.

In closing, I raced a 15 lap race on 5/1 on Nitto NT-01 tires...I was impressed, very impressed. I may keep a sweet set of Hoosiers for qualifying and and switch to Nittos for racing. With 2 races a weekend, and figuring I get about 15 heat cycles of peak performance from a set of Hoosiers, 16 races a year, 1 set of Hoosiers will last me a season with this approach. That is the direction I am heading.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:31 AM
daltvater
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Ken writes, " (he) bought new tires for each of qual and race on his way to the championship in that series."

If you want absolutely peak performance and money is no object, a new set of tires for each qualifying session and race is the way to go. But on the 993, a set of Hoosiers is about $1,200.....when it comes down to it, I won't do this. I guess I just don't want to win a championship that bad, assuming of course, that thjis approach would put me over the top each race.

A well prepped 964 car, probably a little lighter than may car, and very well driven, was kicking my *** on Nitto NT-01. He drives the car to the track on these tires.

In closing, I raced a 15 lap race on 5/1 on Nitto NT-01 tires...I was impressed, very impressed. I may keep a sweet set of Hoosiers for qualifying and and switch to Nittos for racing. With 2 races a weekend, and figuring I get about 15 heat cycles of peak performance from a set of Hoosiers, 16 races a year, 1 set of Hoosiers will last me a season with this approach. That is the direction I am heading.
Do you have lap time differences between the Hoosiers and Nitto's? I'm curious how much time I may be missing out on

Thanks for all the info!
Old 05-03-2011, 11:40 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.

It was a pro series, so a necessity. (He went on to run World Challenge and Grand Am, though unsuccessfully. He's now in MX-5 Cup.)

Anyway, the Hankooks would fall off after two laps. They'd stabilize, but laps 2 and 3 were really all they were good for at their peak.

Originally Posted by daltvater
Do you have lap time differences between the Hoosiers and Nitto's? I'm curious how much time I may be missing out on

Thanks for all the info!
Depends where you are in the pecking order. If you're racing, the series doesn't have a spec tire, and you need the last couple of seconds you'll mount up some Hoosiers.

Very track dependent, but at Thunderhill/Laguna/Sears it's 1 to 1.5 seconds/minute of lap time. (2:03 v. 2:05 with the RSA racer at Thunderhill, 1:41 v. 1:43 at Laguna, 1:50 v. 1:52 at Sears.)

If you're just running around at a DE, they're pretty pointless unless you need to outbrake and pass in corners. I'll process my video from last Thursday and get it posted if you guys want to see what a 100 pass day looks like..............
Old 05-03-2011, 02:22 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm an autocross guy, not a track guy, but to add to costs mentioned above: Kumho 710 lasts about twice as long as Hoosier A6. I assume it would be the same for R6. RA1/NT01 and 888s last even longer than Kumho.

Not sure where Hankooks would fit into this hierarchy, but I'm thinking of running their 71 (Soft) compound after my two sets of Hoosiers wear out this season.

Quick Reply: New Hankook tires VS Hoosiers