Brake Line Labor Time Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 02:45 PM
shattergard
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake Line Labor Time Question

Hi All,

I am planing on having front & rear stainless brake lines installed on my 993. To that extent I was curious to know approx how long it should take the shop to install the lines. Just making sure whom ever I hire treats me fairly.

Jordan
Old 08-29-2006, 03:11 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

I got a quote of about 4 hours...seemed a little steep to me...have not done it yet. May be a good DIY???
Old 08-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good DIY.......If you can break the connections on the brake line.........I tried on my 90 C2 and a friend tried on his 91 C2.......couldn't get the buggers undone.....even with a lot of muscle, PB blaster, WD-40, and everything else we tried, short of heat.......

It would be a simple DIY though......don't forget to bleed the brakes......
Old 08-29-2006, 05:33 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveM993
May be a good DIY???
It's definitely a good DIY. The trick is to have a good flare nut wrench or socket, don't try it with a regular wrench. This is also a good place to follow the scorched earth method of auto mechanics. If you can't get the line fittings off within 30 seconds just cut the soft rubber lines with a dremel tool and put a 6pt socket over the fittings. They will break loose otherwise you can spend hours playing with it.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:01 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
It's definitely a good DIY. The trick is to have a good flare nut wrench or socket, don't try it with a regular wrench. This is also a good place to follow the scorched earth method of auto mechanics. If you can't get the line fittings off within 30 seconds just cut the soft rubber lines with a dremel tool and put a 6pt socket over the fittings. They will break loose otherwise you can spend hours playing with it.
Hmmm, never thought about cutting the line to use a socket......better hope you have the correct replacement line before cutting
In leu of that though, I agree, line wrenches are a MUST

Shattergard......make sure you get the DOT approved lines, don't get the cheapy's.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:17 PM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's definitely a good DIY. The trick is to have a good flare nut wrench or socket, don't try it with a regular wrench.
Excuse my ignorance Jason but what do you call a flare nut wrench?
Old 08-29-2006, 06:37 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Flare nut wrenches have a smaller opening, just enough to fit around a thin line and the wrench reaches around the nut instead of just on two sides.

Old 08-29-2006, 07:02 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...follow the scorched earth method of auto mechanics. ... .
Old 08-29-2006, 07:33 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

You can get the flare nut wrench at any auto parts store. I plan to do as a DIY...my shop said it ain't too bad. Couple of points they gave me:

Jam you brake pedal to the floor and hold it there with a 2X4 or something. Especially after you break the seal on the brake line. When the pedal is down it will keep the fluid from completely draining out as you make the changes. DON'T FORGET TO BLEED THE BRAKES.

Does anyone know some good fitting lines...I have heard horror stories about mis-fitting lines. What are recommended? In a previous post on this subject the "Techni-fit" were recommended? Thoughts?
Old 08-29-2006, 11:11 PM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Flare nut wrenches have a smaller opening, just enough to fit around a thin line and the wrench reaches around the nut instead of just on two sides.

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2006, 01:23 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Toga
Thanks!
If you end up buying one or a set make sure you buy high quality versions (Snap-On, SK Facom, Stahlwille, etc.) Originally I made the mistake of buying el'cheapo versions from a local auto parts store. The tolerances were horrible and I would have been better of just sticking with a regular wrench. They were really horrible and this is one place you want a good wrench.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:40 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

If you end up buying one or a set make sure you buy high quality versions (Snap-On, SK Facom, Stahlwille, etc.) Originally I made the mistake of buying el'cheapo versions from a local auto parts store. The tolerances were horrible and I would have been better of just sticking with a regular wrench. They were really horrible and this is one place you want a good wrench.
Thanks for the advise Jason! I usually buy Facom as they are quite easily available here. Snap on is generally rated above Facom, but hard to find.

Quick Reply: Brake Line Labor Time Question