993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery exploded !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009 | 05:12 AM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

2,5 years onwards - and today it happened again (3rd explosion in my 8 year of ownership), although not as severe as last time (leakage around all edges of battery).
Some facts;

- car sits alot (still), having use on average once a week
- everything works... runs well... nothing abnormal
- battery was replaced only 4 months ago. It is original Porsche 70Amp part no 999.611.070.20
- since the last explosion I have not used any trickle charger nor any other charger again
- vent hose was connected to the battery outlet, and looks to be open

Help!!
Old 01-18-2009 | 09:00 AM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Hei Kolbjørn

This time go for a oddyssey 925 and the rennline brackets. That will make the explosions end
Old 01-18-2009 | 09:55 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Dang... I've heard of it happening, but never seen it myself. Now I'm getting nervous about mine.
Old 01-18-2009 | 11:59 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kolbjorn S
2,5 years onwards - and today it happened again (3rd explosion in my 8 year of ownership), although not as severe as last time (leakage around all edges of battery).
Some facts;

- car sits alot (still), having use on average once a week
- everything works... runs well... nothing abnormal
- battery was replaced only 4 months ago. It is original Porsche 70Amp part no 999.611.070.20
- since the last explosion I have not used any trickle charger nor any other charger again
- vent hose was connected to the battery outlet, and looks to be open

Help!!

Kal,
Consider repeating those DVM tests as in the first post ..... but test alternator voltage with the engine at ~3000rpm in addition to when at idle: it still looks as if you are getting a considerable overcharge = excessive hydrogen = boom! ( also, flip to AC as noted in my other post, and check stator plate diode health).

Anyway, it still sounds as if the regulator isn't doing its job: fairly easy to pull the alt., and replace the regulator/brush holder assembly.
Old 01-18-2009 | 11:59 AM
grwoolf
Racer

Were all 3 explosions with Porsche batteries? I think I would try another brand. While is sounds like something else must be contributing, these Porsche batteries might be less tolerant of overcharge,and particularly heat(made in germany?). I believe Muscat is one of the hottest places in the world and maybe there are better batteries for that climate. I've never had a problem with exploding batteries in Texas (also very hot), but the heat can kill a battery just as fast as the cold. I've seen several people try to quickly charge old batteries with a charger and you can hear the acid boiling, but I've never seen one explode or crack. If the battery is vented, there shouldn't be any pressure. I would check the charging system again to make sure the alternator isn't cooking the battery and I would absolutely try another brand of battery.
Old 01-20-2009 | 12:16 AM
troppo
Burning Brakes

used odyssey batteries for a few years and it is nice to not have to worry about these issues! Highly recommended and save some weight while you're at it!
Old 01-20-2009 | 11:32 AM
catalinajerry
Intermediate

Default Battery explode

I have an 04 Turbo and my Porsche battery also exploded. Also don't drive it much (10000 miles in 5 years) and wasn't covered under warrenty as car must be driven 7500 miles per year for battery warrenty. I have noted that the new Porsche battery was low on water after several months of non driving so now I check it monthly and fill with distilled water. I also use a Porsche trickle charger. There seems to be a common thread. Porsche battery, low useage and trickle charger. Hope this solves the problem.
Old 08-29-2010 | 11:20 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Default Me Too!!!!!

I thought to myself, I have just passed emissions, the car needs a good clean and maybe I will go for a drive, it is afterall a nice day. Open garage, get in car...turn ignition...kaboom!!! WTF was that.....after about 2-3 minutes worked out the sound came from front...opened bonnet, SMELL....arrgggghhhhh battery acid.....looked - top blown out of battery so not too much acid, but removed battery and dumped a box of baking soda into battery tray and leaving for now to do its work! So question to myself, do I just get a new battery and install or do I get the electrics checked first.......Taylor Chapman at German Auto Group, the best Porsche guy I have ever had the pleasure of working on my Porsche will be getting a call to check it all out before I do any more....but what a shock...hope it is just the battery and nothing else!!!

For those that are going to ask question
Battery was about 4 years old
Battery is maintained on a Porsche battery maintainer
Car is only driven every month or so in summer
Old 08-29-2010 | 11:55 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Don't forget to douse it well with baking soda and water. Sorry to hear about this. I've never seen it happen but can imagine it's pretty frightening/messy. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2010 | 12:04 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

i am glad that no one got hurt.

On another note, I had the same battery for 7 years, no tender during the winter and the battery still runs strong. What is the average life on these things? Good time to upgrade to an optima? Do I need to hook it up to a tender if i do? Sorry for hijacking the thread. TIA
Old 08-29-2010 | 12:58 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

I have never used a battery maintainer, but frequently use a regular battery charger. When it is disconnected is there a chance for a stray spark under the closed hood? Do you unplug it at the wall plug first? Batteries normally release hydrogen gas which is why they can explode. I have seen this in a garage where all the used batteries were in a pile near the back wall and a spark from welding nearby blew one up. Very messy and the thought of being doused in sulphuric acid is scary.
Old 08-29-2010 | 01:18 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

I had a motorcycle battery explode like the OP describes. Blew acid all over my face, hands and clothes. Luckily I was at a bike shop which was prepared for an acid explosion so I got myself and my clothes neutralized pretty quickly.

I never had any injuries to my body, but a few days later the clothes I was wearing just fell apart. I guess the acid got in the cloth beyond the ability of the baking soda to neutralize.
Old 08-29-2010 | 02:39 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

I saw one explode several years ago in a neighbour's jeep. The hydrogen gas from this things can be very dangerous. When pulling the terminals or charging a wet cell, I always make sure it's well ventilated. Seeing one explode will leave a lasting impression.
Old 08-29-2010 | 04:28 PM
Bruce P
Rennlist Member

I had the same thing happen with 2006 997 Carrera S. Car was on a Porsche battery tender and when I went to start it the battery exploded. However, not much acid. Conclusion was the battery tender boiled the battery nearly dry so what was left in the battery was a lot of hydrogen gas. When I bought new battery at the dealer I was told that they had sold new batteries to several people that had experienced explosions. They sold me a "better" Porsche battery tender but now I just disconnect battery if it is going to sit for an extended period of time.
Old 08-29-2010 | 05:42 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Is this a pressure inside the battey build up issue...in which case an unclogged vent tube would eliminate? Or is this a water in the battery got low/empty leaving an explosive gas??

Mine is a Sears Die-Hard that I installed 2/2002 (over 8.5 years ago). It is on a Deltran battery tender when it is not being driven...once a month or so. No problems so far...cranks like it's brand new. But what do I need to be checking to prevent this...water level in the battery cells??

Quick Reply: Battery exploded !!!