Which jack to get???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Which jack to get???

Does anyone have any experience with these two jacks that can give a recommendation? I remember some people having leaks with the AC jacks in the past. Has anyone heard of this Ranger product jack? I currently have the Sears aluminum jack, or should I say my dad’s , which doesn’t lift the car high enough to get the jack stands underneath. So I end up having to jack it up, put boards under the tires, lower it, put boards under the jack and raise it again. Kind of a hassle...

More info here: http://www.asedeals.com/auto_shop_jacks.html

Ranger Products, a division of Bend-Pak Inc.
Model RFJ2TX
Low Profile Jack / Long Reach Jack
Perfect for those situations when you need to reach far underneath a vehicle. Also has an ultra low profile 3.5" Saddle. Features a quick-lift pedal to speed up lifting.
2 Ton Capacity
Lowered Pad Height - 3.5"
Raised Height - 31.5"
Front overall width - 11"
Rear overall width - 14.5"
Chassis Length - 37"
Weight - 117 lbs.
Quick Lift Pedal
Built-in Safety overload valve
Ergonomically designed handle
Heavy gauge steel construction
Alloy plated ram
Welded lift arm assembly
Professional model designed for commercial use

AC Hydraulic DK20
Specifications:
Capacity 4400 lbs.
Min. Height 3.1"
Max. Height 19.7"
Frame Length 26"
Handle 37.4"
Frame Height 6.3"
Width 16"
Weight 64.5lbs
Old 08-24-2006, 02:22 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe, doesn't Sears make a jack that will work for you? Before I bought mt scissor lift, I used my old Craftsman jack to get the stands under it.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:48 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a DK20 for a couple years and love it. I use it often and take it to every track event.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Svaha
Pro

Costco sells an aluminum jack, around $100 I believe, that works perfectly on my 993. If this jack ever fails I'll return it to Costco, I've had amazing acceptance of various returns there.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the DK20, bought from ASE. I haven't used it that much but so far no complaints. I've read mostly praise for this jack. As I mentioned in another thread on this topic, I had rear tires put on my 993 at wheel enhancement. They used an AC Hydraulic jack for my car while their lift was occupied with another car.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:15 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

I'll second the costco jack recommendation. Looks really good and the price it right. I've only used mine a few times so far, but so far, so good.

Pete
Old 08-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the jack you link to looks alot like the sears model. i have the sears 2-ton AL jack. it is nice, but one has failed already- 10 uses. they have a 1 year warranty
Old 08-24-2006, 03:27 PM
Spuds993
Advanced

I can third the COSTCO jack, I've used it for over 2 years, not a single complaint, its pretty darn stout.

Funny thing is, my Grandma bought it for me, so my track friends always ask if I'm going to be bringing "Grandma's jack" to the race track this weekend.. because they like to use it, and it just sounds funny.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jnx
Joe, doesn't Sears make a jack that will work for you? Before I bought mt scissor lift, I used my old Craftsman jack to get the stands under it.
I'm currently using the aluminum Sears jack and it doesn’t lift the car high enough to get the jack stands underneath it.

The car is pretty low, so I was looking for a low profile jack as well. I had been leaning towards the AC jack but then I read about a couple people having some issues with it leaking.

Just wondering if anyone had heard about this other jack, looks like it raises the car pretty high and also has a low profile, but I've never heard about it before.

It seems if you use a jack long enought it will probably end up leaking at some point though...
Old 08-24-2006, 03:52 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Issues or not, I've never seen anything that can go as low AND lift as high as the AC. Are there genuine functional competitors out there?
Old 08-24-2006, 04:15 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I forth the Costco jack. It has been great for my suspension install, wheel maintenance, wheel well cleaning, and temporary CV boot repair.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:58 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

The Costco jack goes low enough for my RS height car and gets it high enough to insert the AC jack stands under the rear support points. My issue is that the front protection bar hits if I jack the engine up too high.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:10 PM
JCarter287
Advanced

Costco jack not listed on the website...... How did you guys order yours........????
Old 08-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I looked at the Costco website buy they don't show any jacks. I'll have to check next time I go the store. Does any one know the specs on the Costco jack, min & max height?

I'm using the AC jack stands as well & I'm also at RS ride height, not so much of a clearance problem if I use the jack on the bottom of the engine, but if I use the jacking locations front or rear I also have the side skirts to contend with which lowers the clearance even more...
Old 08-24-2006, 05:37 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The costco jack is a "low profile" jack; however there is some wrangling that is required if you are jacking up the car onto four jack stands (which I assume is necessary with any jack on a lowered 993).

My car is at RS +5mm ride height.

I jack up one slide my putting the jack under the rear side jack point. Once up, I place a jack stand under the front jack point and a paver-patio block under the rear tire. I then switch sides and do the same thing.

Finally, with the fronts on stands and the rear tires on paver-patio blocks, I roll the jack under the engine and jack up the rear high enough to place jack stands under each rear jack point.

Quick Reply: Which jack to get???