993 Forum 1995-1998

Rear window rubber replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 03:13 PM
trevor townsend
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Rear window rubber replacement

Just back from collecting the car after having the outer rubber gasket replaced. Thank for the various responses. However I had to go the new window route. The old one came out ok but the factory glued-on/ bonded rim was shot. Also found some rust starting in the groove around the window opening so that needed to be sorted by OPC before they put in the new screen. What was really a cosmetic fix became expensive (approx $1250) but it would have bugged me to know that a quick fix job was done. Don't plan on being parted any time soon!
Apparently 996 onwards have a removable rim.
Thanks once again for the helpful advice.
TT
Old 08-23-2006, 03:41 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whereabouts was the rust ....?

I noticed my rubber has 'shrunk' down at the corners and tends to collect pooled water there - after I wash it.

G.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:45 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trevor townsend
Just back from collecting the car after having the outer rubber gasket replaced. Thank for the various responses. However I had to go the new window route. The old one came out ok but the factory glued-on/ bonded rim was shot. Also found some rust starting in the groove around the window opening so that needed to be sorted by OPC before they put in the new screen. What was really a cosmetic fix became expensive (approx $1250) but it would have bugged me to know that a quick fix job was done. Don't plan on being parted any time soon!
Apparently 996 onwards have a removable rim.
Thanks once again for the helpful advice.
TT
lots of things on the 996 are removeable "throw-aways" - the rear window rim, the engine, the transmission...
Old 08-25-2006, 06:13 AM
trevor townsend
Instructor

It was light rust not yet pitting into the metal. It was in the channel that the inner gasket fits into. I had rust around windscreen issues on my '84 3.2 also This is apparently fairly common on 993 too.
Pity that being an '94 it's out of 10 year rust warranty.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:33 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

rust in cape town? I wouldn't usually expect that however you are in a marine climate, no?
Either way, glad to hear it's fixed! And think about it - it's been done right. Money well spent?
Old 08-25-2006, 10:47 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by g_murray
Whereabouts was the rust ....?

I noticed my rubber has 'shrunk' down at the corners and tends to collect pooled water there - after I wash it.

G.

I notice water collecting there on mine too. I have taken to blowing out the pooled water after washing it. Think I am going to start using a hairdryer to dry it as well. Could it be I am obsessed with this car?
Old 08-25-2006, 12:21 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
lots of things on the 996 are removeable "throw-aways" - the rear window rim, the engine, the transmission...
Your comment made front-page news over on the 996 forum:

Thread

Andreas
Old 08-25-2006, 04:02 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Paul902
I notice water collecting there on mine too. I have taken to blowing out the pooled water after washing it. Think I am going to start using a hairdryer to dry it as well. Could it be I am obsessed with this car?
You too huh!
I bought a tube of 3M 'window sealer' (emphasis on SEALER rather than glue) and plan on 'filling my corners' with it. Got it on ebay for 15 bucks plus shipping.

G.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Keep in mind that using sealer in just the bottom of that channel might result in water still leaking in from the area above it and really staying there.

What I've used on Mercedes vehicles, though not on any Porsches yet is 3M Bedding and Glazing Compound part# 08509. If you're interested do an internet seach on product. It has good properties and is used between winshield rubber and car body, it remains soft and pliable. I've used it with great success resealing the rear cargo windows on Mercedes 124 wagon.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:26 PM
trevor townsend
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
rust in cape town? I wouldn't usually expect that however you are in a marine climate, no?
Either way, glad to hear it's fixed! And think about it - it's been done right. Money well spent?
Them's my sentiments too. Rust is not normally an issue here, no salt on roads etc. However my car came here via UK were it spent 11k miles and two years so this might account for part of the problem.
Odometer was altered to kms when it arrived here and now has 40k on new clock. Total 56k kms. Needs more use but don't like useing for short trips.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:12 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ron
Keep in mind that using sealer in just the bottom of that channel might result in water still leaking in from the area above it and really staying there.

What I've used on Mercedes vehicles, though not on any Porsches yet is 3M Bedding and Glazing Compound part# 08509. If you're interested do an internet seach on product. It has good properties and is used between winshield rubber and car body, it remains soft and pliable. I've used it with great success resealing the rear cargo windows on Mercedes 124 wagon.

thanks for the info. So you are using it as another sealer underneath the rubber seal?
Old 08-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

So you are using it as another sealer underneath the rubber seal?
I've used it in place of old bedding compound that had dried up due to age and quality. So the answer to your question is basically yes; I'm using it as the only sealer.

For example if you replace a side window on a Porsche you will run a bead of that stuff inside the channel of the gasket and then put the glass in the gasket. If there was a problem with a leak where the gasket goes into the actual car I may put some there too after the cause of the leak was repaired.

On the Merecedes windows in the cargo area I put it in the gasket and then run a bead around the perimeter of the window frame before I put the gasket with the window in the car.

I've not had or seen a front or rear window out in a Porsche so I'm not sure how I'd handle that. I would not be inclined to use any product to fill an area that was rusted already. I'd fix that first.

I would think I'd do the install the same way I have done it on MBs and on the Porsche side windows.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:08 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Your comment made front-page news over on the 996 forum:

Thread

Andreas
haha - I made a couple posts on that thread to smooth things over, I think me and the 996 community are back to our usual loving relationship
Old 08-26-2006, 06:19 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron
I've not had or seen a front or rear window out in a Porsche so I'm not sure how I'd handle that.
The front and rear window are both supposed to be sealed after installation but nobody ever does. The instructions from Porsche can be found HERE and HERE.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:18 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

front and rear window are both supposed to be sealed after installation but nobody ever does
I wonder who makes the insulation material they make reference to and what are the properties of that material, like non-hardening, medium bodied or whatever.

If I used my car alot or drove in the rain I'd give serious thought to filling the void with 3M bedding compound.

I try to dry under that area when I wash my car by putting a paper towels under that area to remove water, I've done like Paul906 has also with compressed air.

Quick Reply: Rear window rubber replacement