Sponsored by:

Robbing, Thieving, Bast*rds!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 11:17 AM
Chrisw_05
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GabiOsz
I think Dudley's experience is what would result from using security bolts, apparently all they need to do is bang the mirror down hard and it breaks the bolt and usually one of the lugs and then they just tear the thing out. I think you are lucky if they unbolt it and just unplug the wire rather than ripping it off connector and all......
I know this may be a bit over the top but can you fit a length of 3mm diameter stainless steel security rope on the inside of the mirror (swaged with a thimble at each end) and fit back inside the car through the hole in the door and onto bolt or pillar inside door? That way if they do smash it off car the mirrors will dangle down but the thieving bast*rds can't pull them off.

Never fitted a mirror before so not sure if this is possible but it sounds like the lugs are not very strong so an additional central nut, bolt and washers through the door skin may be an option. I have just got a 993 CAB and never thought of this. Maybe I will have to take mine off to see if this can be done.

You can't have anything these days without some work shy, scum ruff, tax dodging thief taking what you have worked so hard to earn and buy without a thought of what problems it causes the owner.........The police could not give a rats **** on trying to catch them as they already know who they are but don’t have enough evidence to prosecute unless they catch them in the act...........My 964 CAB was stolen a few months back so can relate to your anger.

Chris W.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:45 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GabiOsz
Not happy at all! I walked out of my flat today to discover that my wind mirrors had been stolen! £800 for new ones & my insurance has a £500 excess!!! I have found a set from a breaker in the UK for £245 bu they may need painting. I also noticed a 964 on my square which had theirs taken too! I can't believe these rotten little sods just go around and harvest mirrors in this fassion. I have a feeling this will now be a regular thing. I have noticed one 993 with square 930 mirrors in london, and apparently he had his mirrors stolen 6 times before he went for these!

What can be done?
Hide around the corner, wait for the punk to approach your car, then pull one of the mirrors off yourself and beat him with it. That will leave a lasting impression.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:02 PM
xrix
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dudley
My mirrors were just ripped off the doors. I wish they had taken the time to unbolt them.
OMG! Animals. What the hell can you do against that type off a**hole?
Old 08-23-2006, 12:45 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
Unfortunately, you are not allowed to have shotguns in the UK, or pistols, knives, BB guns, or pepper spray.
How about a baseball bat.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:51 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would kick f*ck out of anyone I caught doing this, unfortunately I can't wait up all night 7 nights a week to catch them. Electrifying or super heating the mirrors would be preferable.

Can anyone think up a way to alarm the mirrors, so that even a little tampering will set the alarm off?
Old 08-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Temple
Addict
Rennlist Member

This happened to me and I came up with the following solution:

Side Mirror Anti-Theft Thread

Of course, this does not prevent the thieves from simply ripping the mirror off entirely -- which can be a lot worse for your car.

Not to mention, in my personal case, I guess the thieves really wanted those mirrors badly since they returned a few years later and just took my entire car.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:52 PM
Nigel - UK 993C2
Track Day

Gabi

I'm sorry to hear it but not suprised. On my girlfriend's road in Maida Vale, London (a nice area with some very nice metal parked kerbside) I noticed that a chap with a 993 Targa lost 2 sets of mirrors in 6 months, and the second time they made a mess of his door getting them off - around the fixing holes in the door panel was distorted plus it looked like one of their kicks wasn't well aimed as the panel had a big dent. Whether after his first visit he'd fixed them on more securely, and this simply meant that they did more damage getting the second pair off, I don't know.

Don't know what to suggest I'm afraid. If you can get the alarm to trigger when someone grabs the mirrors that could only help I suppose.

Regards

Nigel
Old 08-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Gabi,

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Unfortunately, you may want to consider the cost of new door skins and mirrors compared to the cost of mirrors alone. Short of catching and beating up these low-lifes you don't have many options. Of course if you did that they would only come back and trash your car, and possibly you... Can you tweak your motion sensor to make it more sensitive?

Good luck

Cheers,

David
Old 08-23-2006, 04:05 PM
long_beach_968
Pro

why would they steal mirrors??? Out here we had a problem for a couple of years, kids in their rice rockets would crowbar out 993 and 996 lighting assemblies to steal the Xenon units. I can only imagine my reaction if I caught someone doing something like that to my car.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:27 PM
farmerjohn
Advanced

Who is the "target-market" for these stolen mirrors? Are they going on boy-racer cars or older P-cars?
Old 08-23-2006, 04:35 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Sadly, it's mostly going to be mirror-less 933 owners and earlier 911 owners looking for an upgrade.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:44 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Caveman is right, they seem to get put onto eBay and bought back by mirror less 993 owners for £250 a pair. I think my door skin is slightly damagedbut should be ok once the mirrors are fitted.

Nigel, I have seen the same green Targa, I drive down Maida Vale a lot, I think he now has the 930 square mirrors on his car and they are still there!

I think alarming the mirrors is the only option, at least that way they may only get one of them if they are scared off. I'd guess the simple solution would be to run a wire to the door or bonnet switch or a similar alarm trigger near the door and break the circuit if the mirror is tampered with, this should get the alarm going. Anyone with any expertiese care to chime in?
Old 08-23-2006, 05:26 PM
xrix
Advanced

The problem with putting alarm switches on the mirrors is that by the time the alarm triggers they've already been ripped off. What you need is some way of triggering the alarm when the mirror gets touched. I've got no clue how that could be achieved without false alarms every 2 minutes.

I went and saw a friend of mine today who runs a p-car shop and occasionally buys / sells parts on e-bay. He's got a few sets of teardrop mirrors in stock. The most recent set he bought from ebay I looked at today and - guess what - the tabs are snapped off and there's stress marks around the screw hole. Stolen surely - either that or removed by a *very* bad mechanic.

It seems like a self perpetuating thing - one owner loses their mirrors and doesn't want to buy new ones as they're expensive so they go to ebay and buy some stolen from another car. Meanwhile the previous owner of those parts is also looking... On top of that, they fit on 964 and even 924 / 944 ( I think ) so I guess there's a market.

Very sad, makes me glad I have off-road parking.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 607 Posts

What is needed is a quick-disconnect for the mirrors like they have for the radio face plates.

Hey, I smell a neat business idea!

I propose that you go one step further and make the quick disconnect so that it has some fake loose wires hanging out, too. That way when the thieves come by they will see your car was already "worked" and go on to the next one that doesn't have the quick disconnect.

If you are really lucky, maybe the would-be thieves will think that someone is "working their territory" and start a rumble with their alleged rivals and let Darwin thin out the herd!

You could do the same thing with headlamps, too! Then you buy the fake steel wheel “hub caps” that make it look like you have cheap steel wheels.

Another product idea would be scratch pens. Uses a water based paint to let you draw key scratch marks on your car. When you return, simply wipe with one of our “baby wipes” to remove.

How about the “Cracked Window Sun Screen”? Not only will it block harmful UV rays and keep your car cool, but it makes your car look like it has already been taken out. The deluxe model comes with half a baseball bat sticking out for easy on/off.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:08 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Marv, i like the quick release idea, i did considder that. Imagine what a picture that would be, a porsche driver with his radio face plate and a pair of mirrors walking down the road to his front door. I think I'd be more likely to be arrested than the guys that actually stole my mirrors!

Seriously though, if they could be quick release i could put them in the trunk, i'd look like a bit of a loonatic but at least I'd save myself some money.

Alternatively a car cover may be a deterant if the car is left for a day or two.

Quick Reply: Robbing, Thieving, Bast*rds!