Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

US M030 or ROW M030 springs for slight lowering?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 10:41 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default US M030 or ROW M030 springs for slight lowering?

Going to get Bilsteins and springs ASAP. I want to end up at a ride height right about at ROW non-sport, which is about where I am now, presumably from sagging stock springs. (See https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/293577-why-is-my-car-low-or-is-it.html )

The question is, am I better off with US M030 springs, adjusting the Bilsteins' lower spring perch down, or ROW M030 springs, adjusting the lower spring perch up?

Or to put it another way, how low can you go on US spec springs?
Old 08-22-2006, 11:04 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Or to put it another way, how low can you go on US spec springs?
Depends.

It depends on what Bilsteins you end up with. Let me explain that a bit more. Originally, the Bilstein HDs came with a shorted threaded portion. This threaded portion obviously permitted ride height adjustment by virtue of the ability to raise and lower the lower spring perch. However, when used with the MO30 springs (Euro), the original Bilstein HDs would permit lowering of the rear anywhere within the accepted ranges (i.e. RS to US SUV height). Unfortunately, the fronts didn't have enough thread to permit them to be lowered enough to maintain the proper profile with the rears. Therefore, the rears had to be raised. In other words, the fronts were the limiting factor in how low you could go.

Gert, from Carnewal, came up with the idea of simply extending the threaded portion on the front with 30mm more threads. Bilstein went ahead and modified HDs for Gert in Europe. For a long time, Gert was the only one who sold these HDs with the extra threads.

Well, jumping forward, Bilstein USA began modifying their own stock to have the extra 30mm of thread on the fronts and began selling them as the default arrangement in the US.

All that being said, and to finally answer your question, there still exists stock in the US that is the original non-extended-thread versions. Therefore, with these non-extended thread versions, even with using ROW MO30 springs, the lowest you can go in the fronts might be where you are currently at. However there is a chance that you might not be able to get back to your current height without the extended version. What I'm trying to say is that you are right on the edge of making the US MO30 work with the non-extended HDs. It might work, but I wouldn't guarantee it.

Hence, I would probably opt to get the ROW MO30 springs and the HDs (with the extended threads). This would enable you to adjust both the front and rears anywhere within the accepted range (RS to SUV).
Old 08-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Jeff. If you hang around on RL long enough, you'll eventually want to lower your car to ROW or between ROW and RS height. It would be a shame to buy the non-threaded versions and eventually regret it. Now as to the question of whether you buy M030 springs or some softer version, well, that's a personal question.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:36 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm with Jeff. Go with the ROW M030 springs. The fronts are progressive whereas the US M030 are are more linear. This should enable a good ride quality while taking advantage of increased spring rate.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:38 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

you'll eventually want to lower your car to ROW or between ROW and RS height
Look at my name. Look at my location. No, I won't. Seriously, I value ground clearance and suspension travel more than most.

I'm guessing that the difference in spring height alone between ROW and US springs is about 1". If that's the case, there would be some overlap between the ride heights achievable with each, given the range of adjustment of the longer threaded Bilsteins.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:51 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Rallyjon, you have a pm.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:10 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

For a general data point, I e-mailed the engineer who did my rally car (including custom suspension) and he had this to say about the topic in the abstract:
the longer spring (US) will experience less strain (therefore less stress) and will have less chance of sagging over time (assuming equal materials/construction)

the longer spring will have a longer stroke capability before coil bind (but both springs are designed to avoid coil bind for that specific application, one would hope)

in a nutshell, everything else being equal, go for the longer spring mounted on a low perch
Old 08-22-2006, 12:32 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Depends.

It depends on what Bilsteins you end up with. Let me explain that a bit more. Originally, the Bilstein HDs came with a shorted threaded portion. This threaded portion obviously permitted ride height adjustment by virtue of the ability to raise and lower the lower spring perch. However, when used with the MO30 springs (Euro), the original Bilstein HDs would permit lowering of the rear anywhere within the accepted ranges (i.e. RS to US SUV height). Unfortunately, the fronts didn't have enough thread to permit them to be lowered enough to maintain the proper profile with the rears. Therefore, the rears had to be raised. In other words, the fronts were the limiting factor in how low you could go.

Gert, from Carnewal, came up with the idea of simply extending the threaded portion on the front with 30mm more threads. Bilstein went ahead and modified HDs for Gert in Europe. For a long time, Gert was the only one who sold these HDs with the extra threads.

Well, jumping forward, Bilstein USA began modifying their own stock to have the extra 30mm of thread on the fronts and began selling them as the default arrangement in the US.

All that being said, and to finally answer your question, there still exists stock in the US that is the original non-extended-thread versions. Therefore, with these non-extended thread versions, even with using ROW MO30 springs, the lowest you can go in the fronts might be where you are currently at. However there is a chance that you might not be able to get back to your current height without the extended version. What I'm trying to say is that you are right on the edge of making the US MO30 work with the non-extended HDs. It might work, but I wouldn't guarantee it.

Hence, I would probably opt to get the ROW MO30 springs and the HDs (with the extended threads). This would enable you to adjust both the front and rears anywhere within the accepted range (RS to SUV).

I can't believe there isn't a different P/N for the US Bilsteins with extra thread? Is it really a Hit an miss type of deal, and what happens if you end up with 1 strut with extra threads and 1 without. I can't imagine Bilstein would do something like that.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:41 PM
shu
Racer

Thats a good point, Cahrera! How do we find out what type of HD's we are getting? Maybe a certain distributor/store?
Old 08-22-2006, 01:58 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

+1 on the benefit of the progressive RoW to the US spec spring - I swapped from US to RoW and found that the ride quality improved (with no other changes, RoW springs on US M030 car with 8k miles).
Old 08-22-2006, 02:06 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CAHRERA
I can't believe there isn't a different P/N for the US Bilsteins with extra thread? Is it really a Hit an miss type of deal, and what happens if you end up with 1 strut with extra threads and 1 without. I can't imagine Bilstein would do something like that.
Nope, no different part number because it is the same part with a design change/modification. It was a modification that Bilstein US did without the instruction from Bilstein (Germany, for lack of a better moniker). It is now the default shock for US, therefore you don't get to "select" which one you want--there would be no need to maintain both designs.

Design changes are made is products without requiring a new part number. Chances are that any new HDs that are shipped from US distributors will be with the extra threads, but there is no guarantee of this because it is somewhat dependent on the older stock being used up.

If you buy them from a US authorized dealer, such as ViperBob, you will get the extra threads AND a full lifetime Bilstein warranty.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:09 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CAHRERA
I can't imagine Bilstein would doing something like that.
I do have to note that Bilstein is currently do worse things--i.e. shipping the same shock with two different part numbers in error (in other words, some here have ended up with two left side shocks even when one has a left side part number and one has a right side part number. Lesson learned--Bilstein is not infallible.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:13 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

the longer spring will have a longer stroke capability before coil bind (but both springs are designed to avoid coil bind for that specific application, one would hope)

in a nutshell, everything else being equal, go for the longer spring mounted on a low perch
Jon, the bind argument is mainly dependent on you actually coming somewhat close to binding the spring (i.e. achieving FULL compression of the spring). May I ask how you intend you drive your car where you are concerned about FULL compression?? (Honest question. Not trying to be a smart***....er....smartguy. You're not considering rallying this car, right?)
Old 08-22-2006, 02:53 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

You're not considering rallying this car, right?
Definitely not. But fun driving on twisting, uneven, frost-heaved East Coast back roads with crests and dips does present the possibility of full-compression. I know 911s don't fly well, but you guys don't slow down to 20 for crests, do you? It's important to me to have good suspension travel.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:27 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Definitely not. But fun driving on twisting, uneven, frost-heaved East Coast back roads with crests and dips does present the possibility of full-compression. I know 911s don't fly well, but you guys don't slow down to 20 for crests, do you? It's important to me to have good suspension travel.
I have the Bilstein HD with M030 ROW springs w/ lowering perches and I can go over train tracks without having to practically stop to cross over them like in my previous lowered cars. I can probably take the same bumps as your S4 and STI without any problems. I pretty much can drive the car as if it were at stock height. I wished all lowered cars would ride like my Bilstein HD with M030 setup.

Quick Reply: US M030 or ROW M030 springs for slight lowering?