Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Guy opened his door and dinged me..

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 12:51 PM
hawk993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The good news is that most people are not like that. Most people are reasonably careful about getting in and out of their cars, especially if there is a nice car next to them. Not everyone, but most. So, your chances of a scumbag parking next to you are greatly diminished if you simply park right along with everyone else. Pull into a normal space between to other cars, and chances are, the people parked on either side are normal, courteous people. Park out in the middle of nowhere, and you draw attention, attracting those who wish to do harm to you. And you give them a nice open parking space next to you to do it. Don't make it so easy for them!
what are you smoking?????????????

I have a 2002 Volvo S60 daily driver, bought it new and it has 3 dents in it from people slamming their doors into it, the front bumper has a cut in it from the landscapers at work hitting it with a weed wacker across the front bumper and the back has a cut across it from who knows what. Plus I had a huge dent in the passenger side a couple of years ago from what the insurance company said was a work truck slamming into it, had to be a big hit because of the size and location of the dent according to the adjuster.

People DO ding your doors and they don't care and if they do ding your door or run a weed eater across it, they will walk away because they don't want to have to pay for the damage they just did. The landscapers at my work ran a hose across the left fender of a mercedes in front of witnesses, scratched the car and denied doing it, lied right to the face of the owner until numerous witnesses came forward and confronted them in their lie, at which time they admited doing it and offered to pay for repairs.

Take off your rose colored glasses and get back into the real world where we live...
Old 08-22-2006, 01:12 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 908 Likes on 546 Posts

I agree with hawk993. My daily driver sees the closest space to the door of the grocery store, gym, whatever. I do keep it washed, wax and looking good. Plus I always put the full interior windshield visor on. Hope it gives the appearance of a guy who cares for his car. Never park in back spaces or occupy 2 spaces; that just says "I am special" and is asking for it.

I have about 6 minor dings in each door, so tiny you can barely see them. Less than 1 per year/16K miles of ownership. So much for my theory that drivers pay better attention than passengers. I never do damage to other vehicles parking close to mine, nor do I confront the owners unless I catch them in the act. To most of them, it's just a car like theirs. I can't change how they perceive my car, so I just move on.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:07 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I've personally found these to be pretty effective - YMMV.

http://www.iparklikeanidiot.com/
Old 08-23-2006, 12:42 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

This has actually been a pretty good thread.. I just had to vent when it happened.. It was also compounded by the event that happened about 45 minutes prior when I was driving on a freeway and a VW kicked up a large chunk of rubber or plastic or something which dented the hood and scratched the paint on the hood, wipers, area below the wipers and the brow of the roof.. maybe these can be buffed out and the dent pulled out of the hood.. but then the guy dinging my door right after just put me over the edge.. I'll get it looked at this week.. sheesh.. I like the stickers, but they are "low tack" -I'd like the paper ones which are impossible to remove...
Old 08-23-2006, 08:48 AM
hawk993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i park like an idiot was pretty funny!

Quick Reply: Guy opened his door and dinged me..