Sponsored by:

2006 ML

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 03:55 PM
obchuck
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 ML

In light of the recent M5 thread, thought I'd ask: Does anyone own a 2006 Merc ML? (or perhaps a past ML). Word is quality/reliability have tanked on these things. Any input? Any opportunity to pick up pre-owned one on the cheap given their recent reputation? Thought I'd ask some Rennlisters to get some "unbiased" opinions. Thx!
Old 08-11-2006, 04:30 PM
moeck
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I am on my 3rd ML, 2000 ml430, 2001 ml55 AMG, 2002 ML55 AMG. I had sold my 01 as it was getting miles and I was a little worried about something going wrong after warrenty. Went back to
new Toyota 4rnnr, V8 285hp. Great car, good mileage, missed my ML. Found an '02 with low miles last year and snapped it up. For me the car is a blast to drive, A real sleeper and the
MBZ midrange torque is killer. Very few faster, even today. Troubles, not really, but it's German,
Mechanically verysound, '02's and newer had most cosmetic improvements and more features. I have put 20k+ miles on this one in a year, now has 37k, off warrenty. Many high end SUV's may outhandle now, but it's relative because the AMG does pretty good job. Definately will surprise folks when passing or blowing off a stock WRX when it hits 120+. There are low mileage bargins out there and the '03-04's may definately still be on 100% full coverage service/warrenty stil. A ml500 Inspiration or ml55 would be a good choice.'03 55's very very limited and that was last year. '05's didn't include full service. Happy to discuss further if you wish. Drove the new ones, much nicer but not exciting at all, imho.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

FWIW I put over 100k miles on a 1999 ML430. Lots of towng boats and race cars too. No mechanical issues and few repairs outside of warranty. It was a bit of a rattle trap though and getting worse as it aged.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:23 PM
obchuck
Racer

Thanks fellas. Moeck I wouldn't be looking for performance, so AMG versions wouldn't be needed. Just a nice, capable, RELIABLE, SUV.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:30 PM
LeMarquis
User

ML450 and family. Wait till the Fall for the Diesel Version (Will not be available in Cali, NY and some other states) Has twice the torque (400 ft/lbs) of the gas version and 4 more mpg on average. This will come in handy especially if you have your 993 strapped to the back of it... I've been looking at these cars as a PSV, unfortunately I live in NY... Hopefully they'll be a way around registering one in NY... I'd wouldn't have considered a benz in the last few years. But seems like they're starting to turn themselves back around. Sort of like with Porsches in the looks dept 99-04...
Old 08-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1999 ML 320 with 117,000 miles on it that I actually bought new. I almost never buy new for lots of reasons one of which is because I'd rather have someone else sort out all the warranty issues. There were lots of little things but nothing huge. I use this vehicle to tow a small boat trailer. I also use it if I go to the mountains, it's fantastic in wet weather and snow. But not anything off road except gravel forest roads.

I've owned MB vehicles for over 20 years and I would certainly say that it lacks the build quality of the older MB vehicles. I really don't think much of the new Mercedes that are still built in Germany and I personally would not own a Mercedes newer than say 1992. I currently have 3 other Mercedes 1992 and older.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

I have a 2000 ML 430 bought it used and now have 120k miles... great solid car. Good Luck.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:06 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Put 108K miles on an 02 ML 430. Rock solid truck (definitely a truck). Although it chewed up brake pads like razor blades, it was solid and depndable. Converted it into 05 ML 350 late last year, Local MB was unloading base model WITHOUT SUNROOF for approx 35K. Add it an additional $2k for the 100K mike warranty and you have a winner. The vehicle is strong, refined and solid. Even consumer reports liked it. Their only beef was the electronic gear selector. I also disliked this feature at the MB launch drive we were invited to but I now very much like it. 20 K miles later, no problems. Very competent vehicle. Did I mention you can buy this truck WITHOUT a sunroof. Try that in a 997 gt3!

Jack
Old 08-11-2006, 11:37 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a '03 ML500 with 45k mi. Bought it new in Jan '03 and traded a '98 ML320 for it. So far it has been a very solid and dependable vehicle. The only issues that I have had with it were trim related. The rubber trim around the windows keeps losing its outer coating. I am on the 3rd or 4th set now and will probably get one more before the warranty runs out in Jan '07. Also, the clear coat come off of the rear window pillars. Had them replaced as well. I think that the heat of living in the Mojave Desert took its toll but never seemed to affect the rubber trim on any of my other cars. Mechanically I have experienced no problems. The MB 5.0L V8 really gets up and goes. Only .5 sec slower than the ML55. And it is capable of getting 20-22 mpg on the freeway. With my wife's 3 mi one way city commute everyday, it sees about 14 mpg. I use it to tow a 4600 lb Airstream travel trailer and it handles it in the mountains with no problems. I really feel better about having the body on frame set up to do this vs. the unibody on the new ones. We also really like the cargo capacity of the old style ML. It can really swallow some large objects. It may not handle like a Porsche, but it is certainly better than any of the domestic and some of the Japanese SUVs. Remember, MB pioneered the 4 wheel indepedent suspension on mid size AWD SUVs.

We bought our '98 ML320 in 2000 with around 40k mi and traded it in with around 80k mi. We had a few minor issues with it, can't remember since it has been a while, but they were all covered under the Starmark CPO warranty. It was a very dependable vehicle as well. It probably had a few more squeaks and rattles than the '03, but nothing really that bad, not like you will read about in magazines or on the internet.

Overall, I like the ML. There is nothing out there right now that I would consider trading it for. The Toureg V10 TDi was tempting, but too expensive. And they only had that in the States for the '04 model year. We'll see what BMW and MB do with the diesel in the future. That's what I really want for towing.

If you can get a smokin' deal on a CPO, give it some consideration. Like you would do with a Porsche, go test drive one and see what your think.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:53 PM
obchuck
Racer

Thanks Van (nice Boxer) & Pedsurg. I too would like a diesel.

Quick Reply: 2006 ML