Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How many of you guys would switch to a 997 if you could easily afford it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 03:41 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

MC: Your comparison kept my attention - I usually dont make it thru long posts like that.

Im late to the thread as well, so maybe someone brought this up already. But 993 "P51" analogy is relative. I was considering the purchase of a 3.2 when I bought the 993. I really enjoyed the 3.2 "go kart" feeling but was sold on 993 robustness and technical innovation. A 3.2 compared to 993 will bring a smile to your face as well but maybe its an older, less refined airplane.

My mentality is like Jay Leno or Seinfield. Give me one of everything! - and put me on the waiting list for a 997 GT3!
Old 08-12-2006, 04:20 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20NOO
2nd of 2,

If I had a nice big warehouse, I'd consider buying 8 or 10 premium examples and tucking them away for a decade or so. MC

Originally Posted by H20NOO
Actually, I would need a big warehouse and a bunch of investment money... I sure don't have $500k sitting around earmarked for clean 993's!

Ok, one more drink.

MC
Well ..... if anyone is serious about investment, this could become the Group Purchase of the century What size should partnership shares be ... $1K/share ..?? 10 share max/partner?
It surely would make gauge trim rings and coilover GP's look like chump change .. ... despite their overwhelming success.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:42 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Hey MC,

The stereo in the 997TT is freaking amazing.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:44 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by obchuck
Please do go into the details geolab...deception? Mechanic (insider!) info??...
Exact feelings I got:

The car:

Atlas silver 997 S TIPTRONIC

options,

249 Tiptronic S
342 Heated seats
403 19" Carrera S wheels
425 rear wiper
431 Multi-function steering wheel
450 Ceramic brakes
475 Active suspension managment
482 Tyre pressure control
608 homelink
635 park assistance
640 Sport Chrono pack ( bull shiesse)
650 elect. sunroof
666 phone pcm module
668 phone unit
670 navigation module pcm
680 Bose surround
692 cd charger
900 Factory delivery
982 Soft leather
998 All leather
E31 leather dash
p12 ext. int. auto rear view mirrors
p15 elect. seats
p17 sport chassis
p74 bi-litronic
x54 chrome exhaust tips
xma leather ceiling
xmp sun visors leather
xmz rear cent console leather
xng lower inst dash leather

Arrived at 8:00 in the morning. The TUV (Germ. Car inspection organization) clearance and liscence plates arrived. Sales at that time explained the whole functions. Test drove the car with me as passenger. Factory visit etc. skipped museum that I did 2 times, skipped lunch. etc. Instead, got more gifts for the visit= Photo + Champagne bottle with porsche label + Cap + silver key holder + umbrella + T-shirt + usb key for porsche web network connect etc.

Spent a whole 10 minutes adjusting the seat (full elect. heated with lumbar+dorsal), 1 minute for sound (bose) and off I went ( the tank was full)

Impression: My 993 S is a tiptronic and I thought the new one is similar. NO
The tiptronic gearbox is exactly like the new AUDI DSG.
You do not get the jolt upshifting, or downshifting, it is soft, and yes the button that says sport under the A/C lcd is lit.
Sport chrono is a mock, you think you want to time a 0-60 but hey, to activate it is by the computer left lower arm.
feelings : every single thing apart from the rattling sound of the mufflers made me feel I was in a high end coupé but not in a porsche.
It is fast, but my personal opinion says the 993 is usually faster. The 997 feels heavier.
even with a sport chassis, I felt the car does not have rail feeling, but precise enough.
rear view mirrors still hiss, window washing soap still dribbles on the door leather if you left window open, even half an inch. and so on .....

Worse is first fuel refill experience. took the car key and got out. Seat goes back to initial status, so do the rear view mirrors. Got back in, pressed the mem. button the guy at porsche delicately prog. for me. and the seat started to do the whole manoeuvre I did the first time to find the right position. Worse? I had to keep the button pressed for the whole proceedure.
Then the rear mirrors were de-programmed, and everytime I took the key out, 3 minutes adjusting.

Auto rear view mirror inside is tinted. the first tunnel and I could barely see the headlights of the cars behind me.

Bose option is ridiculous, with bass at zero and treble at 7, all the sound is bass and especially the cheap bass you get from small cones.
Fader should be at -5 rear to hear a homogenious sound.

Navigation is good, haven't tried the phone,

Drove at 263 kph max, very stable but the car sat high, (Michelins pilot sport N3)
In fact, the sound you hear in a 993 is an engine sound together with a bit of muffler sound if you have stock mufflers. If your 993 has special tips or muffs etc. you will hear an awesome muffler sound with a bit of engine.
In the 997 S, I felt I only heard the mufflers with a treblish rattling sound full stop. I never heard the engine at whatever speed or gear. And it feels he rattling sound comes from the bottom of the car, not the back.

Frankly, I was as fair in my description as could be and tried my best to be unbiased, but I sincerely felt homesick for my 993 S and was glad to see it after in my garage.

More details if necessary after ...

'97 Carrera S 100% original

Last edited by geolab; 08-13-2006 at 02:23 AM.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:08 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If any of you west coast guys decide to switch out of your 97/98 blk/blk manual C2S coupe, please PM me!

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:05 PM
mborkow
Drifting

geolab, you don't sound very happy with your new car...
Old 08-12-2006, 08:36 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

geolab:
Sorry to hear about your experience. I hope you are able to get over some of the issues.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:27 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AVoyvoda
"There is a huge, growing market in Asia. Watch how many get exported to new-money collectors."

Not too sure about that... From all that I have seen, Asian "new money" lusts after the latest and greatest. Ultimate Designer etc and always brand new. There's hardly the culture to appreciate classic cars or the expertise to service them. Finally, the aircons are weak and un-suited to the hot and humid climes of Asia. In view of all this, I doubt there will ever develop a large air-cooled collector's market there.
Your rationale makes sense although, I have an office in Bangkok and have seen the increased interest among the affluent for collectible cars and other high value items like vintage watches. I could be completely wrong but even if the U.S. and European markets heat up, the value of these cars should climb. A friend of mine makes a seven figure income exporting vintage 911's, 912's and all kinds of American muscle cars to Europe each year. I tend to think a bit of that desire for such vehicles will grow in China and beyond. It wouldn't be the first time I was COMPLETELY wrong... Time will tell.

MC
Old 08-13-2006, 02:17 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by tj90
geolab:
Sorry to hear about your experience. I hope you are able to get over some of the issues.
Thanks TJ, just read a new post someone just bought a 997TT , he too wittnessed the rattling exhaust sound, but it seems intermittent with his car. Maybe the sound of the turbos take over at a certain rpm, i don't know. As for me, I still cannot get over it after two days....

'97 Carrera S 100% original
'07 997 Carrera S
Old 08-13-2006, 11:25 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I would not switch in a million years.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:02 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
You guys are kidding yourselves thinking that the 993 is a 911. Excuse me! While it has the great looks so much was done to refine the 993 that the real soul of the 911 was lost. I love the looks of the 993s but in time they will become maintenance nightmares like the older 911s have. Ultimately we all have to 'upgrade' before the car is impossible to keep up,--thinking especially of the electrical system...
WTF do you mean?

"thinking especially of the electrical system" What's so complex about 993 electrical system? There's really not that much in there?

And if you think "we all" have to upgrade our 993s because it's "impossible to keep up", well I guess it might be impossible for you but it sure isn't for me and lot or guys like me (who own 10, 20, 30 or even 40 "HOLY COW BATMAN! year old 911s).

I will get 997 GT3 but I won't be selling my 993, my grandson or granddaughter will get his/her first ever drive in my 933 with me sitting nect to him smiling and listening that beutiful music coming from the back.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:22 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Edgy01
And what sort of problem is the RMS on the 997s? Just how many cases are there with this problem? Let's talk about chain tensioners, etc...

I think you'll find the reliability way up there. But please,--do not go test drive a 997,--stay away from them! (Don't blame me if you change your opinion).
You missed something. In my post #30 on this topic, not only did I test drive one, I bought one and then sold it to get a 993. I know they all have problems and such, but to me I just felt disconnected with the car.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:35 PM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I test drove a 997 S. Nice car, but, thanks to my short gears, did not feel that much faster. Also, I like the windshield of the 993 being closer to the driver, That with the traditional round instruments, just makes me feel more at home in the 993. It is like putting on your favorite suit, nice and snug. Also, the 997 is getting too big.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:55 PM
901aero
Burning Brakes

First Edgy01, not trying to be a d*ck here, but what other earlier 911's have you owned and lived with? If you have lived through the ownership of these cars and feel they were troublesome then OK. As far as the 993 having no soul I'll admit as one post here mentioned it too has run to the limit of my patience for Computer controls and "innovations". Yet one day last year I took my stock 993 to a shop and had it placed on a chasiss dyno and stood by as the tech ran the car to the red line in each gear. I can tell you I will never forget the sounds that car made. It sure sounded like the soul of a 911 to me.
Oh and I also got a lot of neat graphs and data for my $150.00
Old 08-13-2006, 03:08 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

I think the "problem" with the 997 is not with its faults, rather it lies with its incredible strengths. The 911 continues to evolve into some combination of supercar-gt cruiser. It's got guts, performance, style and handling; unfortunately, little of its capabilities can be legally appreciated in continental North America; short of the track.

Jack

Quick Reply: How many of you guys would switch to a 997 if you could easily afford it?