Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauging Interest: 97 C4S 52K TONS of goodies, Top End in progress

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 12:30 AM
schred
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take all the advice here and keep that beauty. Many of us here spend way more than we want to admit on our cars. I figure that I will never see any of the money that I have ever spent on mods and upgrades to any car I have owned. I do it because I want my cars a certain way.You are obviously the same on this and have spared no expense on this car. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but when you sell them it seems that you never can get what you have in to them. All the more reason to keep that nice ride and enjoy it. It will take a really special buyer to offer you close to what you have in it.
Bye the way, maybe I am interested in your car. Somebody stop me...
FS
Old 08-04-2006, 12:33 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Schred,

can you post some larger pics of your car? I love the wheels, the Turbo S tails, and the front aero-kit. Are those Aero 1 splitters, or the aero 2 kits?

Thanks.

CP
Old 08-04-2006, 01:59 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't sell your 993. There are always other homes~~
Old 08-04-2006, 10:38 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

You were supposed to be taking pics of the house, but secrety you wanted to take pics of the 993. I can tell cause the the way the car is centered and you managed to lop off the house in all the pics and your blatent disregard by capturing the green thing in the background.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:59 AM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by schred
Take all the advice here and keep that beauty. Many of us here spend way more than we want to admit on our cars. I figure that I will never see any of the mone
FS

I AM GONNA SUPPORT YOU .. !!!
SELL THE 993 .
OLD DESING, SLOW , OLD FASHION .... SELL IT !!!!
GET A NEW 997, GREAT , BRILLIAN, FAST, SOPHISTICATED ...
DONT EVEN DOUBT IT .. !! SELL THE PORKER 993 .. SELL TO ME !!
Old 08-04-2006, 12:25 PM
B2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Priorities

Unfortunately, I'm going through a divorce after 30+ years of a very good marriage. In all the unsettling changes that are currently taking place associated with this, the one that I'm the most passionae about is keeping my 993...
NO MATTER WHAT!

Some things in life are just too important to loose.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:15 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just sell some of the extra stuff, pocket some $$, keep the car. For example, sell one of the wheel sets, 2 of the muffler setups, and any of the other spares you are really not using. Face it, now that you have a 3 spoke wheel on there, the car has been modded in other ways, does it matter to a buyer or to you that you keep the original 4-spoke wheel? Dump it.

I am not sure what the BBS wheels go for - they sure look nice - but sell them or the orignal wheels. That's a chunk of change.

Then spend the $$ on gas.... ;-)

It is a really lovely car. Would be a shame to sell it after all that. Forget the loss of money, nice 993s are gettign harder and harder to find. If it is the car you love but you are replacing it with a different 993 or a GT-3 , sure I get it. But if you love the car and you're not going to replace it with another 993, you'll be bummed. Just my 0.02.

Best of luck.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Keep the 993 for a year or so - then sell it to me!!

Hell I'm even in the Bay Area - it wont have to go very far...

(btw - the 996?? ditch it)
Old 08-04-2006, 05:26 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I might have seen you in that 996 yesterday. I was driving north on 101 somewhere on the peninsula around ~1pm. (w/ wife and kid in our white Toyota Highlander so you would not have noticed me).
Old 08-04-2006, 08:46 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Paul, that car is a keeper! Beautiful.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:16 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With "52k TONS of goodies", I would keep it!
Old 08-04-2006, 11:31 PM
Paulsha911
Racer

Thanks for the encouragement... (or whatever you call it)...

I'd indeed try my best to keep the car. But I went thru some stuff the last couple of years, and my priority is family / wife first. But the sweet heart is very supportive. If she knew I was even thinking of selling the car, she'd probably tell me to forget it...

But why am I thinking of selling...

First, Ross @ Devek told me that the 933 engine is really bullet proof. The most common way to hurt it (SAI/Valve Guide woes) is if the owner don't drive it the way it was built for. And short trips in the city, where the engine doesn't have a chance to warm up is especailly tough.

Second, although I have done quite a few track days with my previous 3 996s, and I intended to with the 993 when I first bought it. For some strange reason, I haven't had the heart to put it on the track. But obvious this erroneous thinking is also what's leading to problem #1 above.

So, I started thinking that I need to buy a 3rd car for my daily driving, since because of a job change, most of my driving are short city trips which is bad for the car. And that started me thinking that the 993 is really a extra luxury and that I am not enjoying it. I am strange that way since all my previous 996s are daily drivers and I didn't believe in keeping cars for weekend driving only.

Finally, the car has been sitting at Devek for the last 3 weeks. Out of sight, out of mind, and the thought of "straying" entered my mind.

But Scott @ Devek called me and said Ross is starting to put it back together next week. So, I probably will be driving it again next week, and this time with the Dach's X pipe and RSR installed for the first time. So, I think once I turn the ignition key when I get to Devek, the whole argument is probably a moot point.

May be I'll sell the extra mufflers and wheels, and use the proceeds to get myself an old beater for those short city trips that the 993 engine doesn't like. And that kitchen remodeling will have to wait.

Any one have a reliable old beater for sale for around $3-4K? or trade for some of my stuff?

And hey, you guys stop knocking my wife's Ocean Jade 996. Honestly, we have gotten more compliments from passer bys, on the "kermit green" color than on ALL my previous 996s which were ALL Artic Silver. Any way, she loves that color and that's what counts.

Cheers,
Old 08-04-2006, 11:45 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fire up that car with those pipes and RSR's on it and I guarantee you won't sell it
Old 08-05-2006, 01:34 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 878 Likes on 442 Posts

I take my 993 on all trips - short trips, long trips, quick errands. I don't care if it's "bad for the car". I don't even believe that. How bad could it really be? It's just a car. Live a little. Drive it anywhere you want! I'd forget about a beater. Personally, life's too short for me to even consider getting a beater for work, as many people I work with have suggested over the years. I'd rather drive my 911 and 740i Sport to sell and install cable TV like I do than have a beater to drive for that each day. What's the point? I could be dead next week... I wouldn't want to be floating off to heaven wondering why I suffered through the embarrassment of driving a 1982 Tercel just to protect my 993 from short trips and lame miles.

Just my point of view. Everyone's entitled to their point. Good luck with your decision. I like your wife's car by the way - much nicer than my wife's Jag XK8, which doesn't drive that great in my opinion. She sure does get a hell of a lot of attention in that car though, twice the attention we get in the 993.

Steve R

Quick Reply: Gauging Interest: 97 C4S 52K TONS of goodies, Top End in progress