TechArt copy foglight/brake ducts on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 05:43 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by donsacto
Michael:

If you want photos of my sanded out duct, I can take some pics so u can get an idea what to sand down.
Don,

I'd like to see some pics of the work and the after pics on your car too. TIA.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:22 PM
pezza
Racer

I also have the techart additional brake cooling kit, I fitted it myself. The instructions that come with the units are fairly good, although a little vague when it comes to fitting the ducts. It states "trim the area".

You definately have to cut the PU for the ducts to fit in flush, you have to remove a fair bit, (more than you feel comfortable removing!) basically all the part recessed behind the solid piece of the duct, (the section without the tube that the hose fits onto) otherwise it fouls. It can be cut out with a craft knife.

Sorry no photo's. The quality of the original kit isn't great either, my foam pads that hold the positioning lights in place, (see Cavemans photo) often come unglued. It does seem that the kit has been hashed together using readily available hella parts.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:49 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Pezza - are you talking about a UK or a US car as I have a UK car and the kit fitted perfectly in both the original nose and the turbo nose that I subsequently fitted, no cutting the PU that I'm aware of.

Cheers,

David
Old 12-30-2006, 05:21 PM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by mbpa
And the verdict is ... complete crap. I am so that I wasted $240 on this *&%$. Here are the details:

- Out of the box, the two pieces feel reasonable solid.

- Fitting the flog light assembly onto the air duct, I notice that they are not even close to a match. It's clear that someone tried to carve a piece out of the air duct for the fog light assembly to fit into, but it not enough. This is a problem because the air duct is keeping the fog light assembly in place, and vice versa. I use my dremmel to finish what they'd started. So far, not too bad.

- Next I put the air duct into the bumper and notice that it's about 1/4 - 1/2 inch too thinck. Two options: 1) cut out the back of the bumper to make room for the air duct or 2) cut out the back of the air duct. I know better than doing 1), so I try 2. The piece is hollow fiberglass. I finally cleared enough for it to fit (in principle) into the bumper. The tab at the end still need to be made narrower. Also, the back needs to be filled in a bit again to hold the fog light stead. But I gave up...

I think that with some work (like filling in the back of the air dunct - note everthing I cut down is on the back side and is not seen from the front) and some more sanding all around, I could get this thing to fit. Don't know if I'll find the time and patience to try again though. I might just write this one off and buy better quality instead.

If anyone wants to give it a try, I'd be happy to get rid of them for, say, $75.
i agree, the ebay set from hong kong is crap! i'm not going to cut my bumper cover as the seller told me AFTER i got the set which they won't take back! i don't think there is enough material on the back of the ducts to sand off in order to get the clearance needed. damn damn!!! i ended up using the clear signals since i got my bumperettes filled in and even those don't fit to well!!! i'm glad i didn't buy the 2s split grille from them- who knows how that would fit!!!
Old 12-30-2006, 05:22 PM
allill
Drifting

Originally Posted by donsacto
Michael:

I purchased the same set and got mine to work. It requires a lot of modification . You and Dremel will be best friends if you want to get it to work. Basically, you'll need to sand down the ducts. No need to cut the bumper.
don, can you post photos of the back of the ducts where you sanded?
Old 12-30-2006, 05:58 PM
pezza
Racer

Originally Posted by Caveman
Pezza - are you talking about a UK or a US car as I have a UK car and the kit fitted perfectly in both the original nose and the turbo nose that I subsequently fitted, no cutting the PU that I'm aware of.

Cheers,

David

Hi David, I see you have fitted the colour coded rear spoiler, looks good. Yes I was talking about my UK car, which I have just sold to make way for another 993, one with 430bhp! I definately had to trim out some of the PU as the ducts wouldn't fit flush, they are the genuine techart kit, not the HK ones.

I've attached a diagram of the area I trimmed out, (marked red) I've kept the kit as I will put it on the new car, I'll have another go at installing it without the cutting taking place, but from memory there was no way that they would fit without the mod to the PU. The instructions definately refer to trimming the PU, but are a little vague as to how much so I just kept going until they fitted really flush.

regards
Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2006, 04:42 AM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Damned... I'd just bought mine off of an eBay! @#$$#*
oh, well... Life's lesson #119: "You get what you pay for..."
I'd better go to Home Depot and buy that Dremel router.
****E, ****E, AND ****E!!!
Old 12-31-2006, 02:25 PM
pezza
Racer

Whilst I have the ducts off spraying them up, here is a shot of the back of them, so you can compare the HK version.

regards
Attached Images   
Old 12-31-2006, 02:54 PM
donsacto
Racer

For those with the HK knockoff's, you'll have to shave the back of the ducts to get them to fit. I spent quite a while figuring out what to shave down. I used some tape and model paint to identify the areas. The easiest thing to do is cut out the back of the bumper as shown in the above diagram. It does not provide support for anything. You can still put in your OE fog lights etc if you decide to go back to stock. Since purchasing the HK knock-offs, I've found a used set of Techarts and have cut out the bumper as shown above. You'll also have to cut a tab on the HK foglights to get them to fit.

If anyone is intersted in the HK ducts i have, you can have them for Free+shipping. PM me if your interested.
Attached Images     
Old 12-31-2006, 03:48 PM
pezza
Racer

Wouldn't fancy trimming the techart ducts like that, they are so dam expensive, looks like I will trim out the PU again. As the previous post mentions you can re install the old lights fine, if you wish to remove the techart ducts as I have.

regards, and have a Great New Year!
Old 12-31-2006, 05:52 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Like some automaker says There Is No Substitute

Don, sorry to see the hassle you have gone through.. Wow!
Old 12-31-2006, 08:45 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Ok, so this is even better.... I bought a set of the HK ****-lights on ebay in late November and.... they never showed up. I have not heard back from the seller despite 2 emails. So, not only have I thrown away $200, but I don't even have some useless poorly fitting plastic to show for it!
Happy new year everyone.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:18 PM
allill
Drifting

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Ok, so this is even better.... I bought a set of the HK ****-lights on ebay in late November and.... they never showed up. I have not heard back from the seller despite 2 emails. So, not only have I thrown away $200, but I don't even have some useless poorly fitting plastic to show for it!
Happy new year everyone.
the seller has sick feedback too, you wouldn't expect this kind of service from someone like that.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:22 PM
mbb993
Instructor

Wow
I have been following this thread for awhile because this is one of the "1001" things I want to do to my 933 but what a royal PITA.

I am just starting to look at these parts so forgive me I am a bit of a neophyt as to whats available out there.

OK, so for those of us waiting to jump into this what is the recommendation for the best part(s) to buy for least hassle? Would like to stay away from "fabricating" my own parts which is what you guys have practically needed to do! Is ther an OEM part or the like?

Happy New Year!!!

Last edited by mbb993; 12-31-2006 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:55 AM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

I think FVD was selling Techart like brake ducts only... Not HK fakes.
Happy New Year everyone.
In few hours I'll be officially both PCA and Rennlist memeber!

Quick Reply: TechArt copy foglight/brake ducts on Ebay