Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 09:16 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by a17sbn
Hi Jeff,

Very impressive!!!

What did you use on the alloy castings? I've cleaned mine as best I could, but even when I have removed the dirt, the casting still look dull - as though there is some surface tarnishing.
Actually, on a few places, I shot it with Carbon X--an aviation degreaser that is safe for all metals, but does a great job of removing the grease, etc. It is only available from a well known supplier of aviation products (Sporty's):

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....product_id=344

After letting it dwell for 15 minutes, I used a scotch-brite pad, wrapped it around the linkages, and scrubbed back and forth. After hitting it with the power washer, it looked great.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:48 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I did it! ..... OK, not nearly as well as you guys I spent a few hours jacked up on the driveway with citrus degreaser and a pressure washer. All the grease & grime is gone and the wheel wells are clean. The calipers and rotor volutes were flushed of all the nice black residue. The front diff and steering rack areas also cleaned up well - due to a leaking diff seal that awaits a R&R.
However, the aluminium suspension members are a different story. What is left looks like a bad tan, or a red headed kid with freckles: there are little bits of cosmoline left all over the place. At least, I have the cleanest cosmoline in town!
That cosmo is tough - must be a special blend for the far north: tougher than baked on moose poop ... anyway, with 90+% removed, it is now clean enough that I can tackle the rest inside when on the lift. So what is the best approach for the remainder? A choice of brake cleaner spray, paint thinner/varosol, or mystery solvent X to soften it and follow up with rags and elbow grease - or blow it out with an air hose?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I used Mineral Spirits. Let it sit for 5 min then use a wire brush to scrap it loose. Then Power wash to finish

Mine look like new
Old 08-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff,
Your photos can also be an aid to anyone replacing their stock suspension. Nice to have before and after shots for this job. Well done!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:17 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Garth S
So what is the best approach for the remainder? A choice of brake cleaner spray, paint thinner/varosol, or mystery solvent X to soften it and follow up with rags and elbow grease - or blow it out with an air hose?
Good job!

What I've found is that you need to hit that cosmo a few times. Once you get the gist of the gunk off, the citrus degreaser does a much better job cut the leftovers. Just let it dwell for a while (15-20 minutes).

I also used a brass brush to scrub some areas.

I also used the Carbon X mentioned above. AND

In a few spots, hit it with brake cleaner, being VERY careful not to get it on any rubber, paint, etc.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:18 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dudley
Jeff,
Your photos can also be an aid to anyone replacing their stock suspension. Nice to have before and after shots for this job. Well done!
Now I just wish I had that nice looking undercarriage for all the DIY Suspension install pictures--I'm ashamed of the old pictures.

Quick Reply: ~Pictures~ The Horror of Wheel Wells