Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks super nice. I'll be doing mine soon. Chris
Old 07-30-2006, 09:08 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LAURIER
Jeff...Looks great! Makes you feel better, right?
Definitely. There is a sense of calm in the world once again.

AND, with the reduction in weight, the car is much faster.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:11 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marc in AK
My bathroom isn't that clean......BUT, 1 mud puddle and it's over......looks good!

I have a 2005 Eddie Bauer Explorer that is leased until the end of the year (which is low on miles), so unless the weather is fun for top down driving, I tend to drive the Exploder--thus the liklihood of encountering a mud puddle is reduced.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:17 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Andrew Muzychka
Where did this event take place? Your garage floor is spotless. Did you manage to do this in a coin operated car wash? ( I don't think so) What became of all this crap you washed off?..
Hey Andrew.

If you can believe it, this whole event took place on my driveway!

I thought about taking the car to a coin operated car wash but decided there is no way I could hang out in one of those bays for 5-6 hours (yes, that is how long this took). So, I just did it at home. However, I was pretty diligent in periodically spraying the driveway off and/or keeping it wet so there wouldn't be much, if any, staining.

The citrus degreaser is nice in the regard of being able to be hosed off into the grass without too much concern. The crud that came off has been washing basically into the grass without any real effects.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:20 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tim Wasmer
What was it.................Wheel Well Day?

I worked mine over and after a long DIRTY day my results are good but not as good as yours. There were a few places where stuff just would not come loose.

Yours looks new. Great Job
Cool, another crazy, compulsive person who cleans their wheel wells!!!

Looks good.

Did you remove your brake calipers, rotors, AND fender liners????
Old 07-30-2006, 12:07 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Yeah. But not for this reason. My lower skirts, front bumper and rear bumper are being painted as well as my calipers being re PC'd to body color to

This was a great time to do this. Although moving it around with no brakes was a challenge
Old 07-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

WOW, had no idea there there was that much silver under there!
Great job guys!
Old 07-30-2006, 03:35 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Blue Ocean
WOW, had no idea there there was that much silver under there!
Great job guys!
Yup, you don't know there is that much aluminum until you see it all shined up. It's kind of neat now that I can see those aluminum pieces even with the wheels on.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:20 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff when are you free!
Old 07-30-2006, 06:31 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 396 Posts

Well done. However, can you really tell with the tires back on... do you have before/after pics with the tire on?

I generally just go for the appearance of clean - not actually clean.

Rob
Old 07-30-2006, 10:12 PM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Thanks so much for the pics and the cleaning details...
Old 07-31-2006, 11:41 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Oh boy! ...look what *I* started !!!

Yesterday afternoon, it was soooooo hot here in the NY area that after doing some instrument practice-approaches (flying) out at EastHampton -- I just lounged about until 5pm ...waiting for it to cool down somewhat.

Then! ...with some friendly forum advice that I got last Fri ...I DID take off the transmission tray! Removing THAT gives you additional access to the TWO 'cross member bars' that run from one side of the rear to the other. They were both covered in cosmoline and crapola ...but citrus to the rescue ...now they're both gleaming. I also deskanked the transmission-tray and brightened that sucker up too with 303-protectant.

All I have 'left' to do is just drag some steel-wool, dipped in degreaser, over the 'lower engine parts' (tubing, heat-xchangers, exhaust stuff, etc.) -- then apply some metal polish and 303-protectant (as appropriate) -- and I think I'm done. The car show is in the 1st. week of SEPTEMBER -- so I can (somewhat) relax now.

FWIW, I used SIX brillo-pads PER wheel-arch. If that seems excessive -- believe me, when you get down and dirty getting into the 'criss-cross' patterns of the suspension arms - the brillo-pads just disintegrate and very quickly morph into 'little blobs' of useless-ness.

Reminder -- buy a couple of pairs of (rubbermaid) rubber gloves when you start to REALLY get into the nooks and crannies. You'll thank me later.

G.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:58 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by g_murray
Oh boy! ...look what *I* started !!!

Yesterday afternoon, it was soooooo hot here in the NY area that after doing some instrument practice-approaches (flying) out at EastHampton -- I just lounged about until 5pm ...waiting for it to cool down somewhat.

Then! ...with some friendly forum advice that I got last Fri ...I DID take off the transmission tray! Removing THAT gives you additional access to the TWO 'cross member bars' that run from one side of the rear to the other. They were both covered in cosmoline and crapola ...but citrus to the rescue ...now they're both gleaming. I also deskanked the transmission-tray and brightened that sucker up too with 303-protectant.

All I have 'left' to do is just drag some steel-wool, dipped in degreaser, over the 'lower engine parts' (tubing, heat-xchangers, exhaust stuff, etc.) -- then apply some metal polish and 303-protectant (as appropriate) -- and I think I'm done. The car show is in the 1st. week of SEPTEMBER -- so I can (somewhat) relax now.

FWIW, I used SIX brillo-pads PER wheel-arch. If that seems excessive -- believe me, when you get down and dirty getting into the 'criss-cross' patterns of the suspension arms - the brillo-pads just disintegrate and very quickly morph into 'little blobs' of useless-ness.

Reminder -- buy a couple of pairs of (rubbermaid) rubber gloves when you start to REALLY get into the nooks and crannies. You'll thank me later.

G.
You guys are sick!
Old 07-31-2006, 12:18 PM
SJB993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jeff,

Very impressive!!!

What did you use on the alloy castings? I've cleaned mine as best I could, but even when I have removed the dirt, the casting still look dull - as though there is some surface tarnishing.

TIA,
Old 07-31-2006, 04:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Thanks.

Many times I have considered that, but instead of ~mounting 4 wheels, lowering car, torquing all lug nuts, driving, rejacking the car, removing the wheels, photographing, remounting the 4 wheels, lowering the car, torquing all lug nuts~....... I think you guys can use your imagination on what shiny rotors would look like.

That's why I mentioned that. Of course it would be EASY for me type that suggestion but a heck of a lot harder for you to DO! lol

Quick Reply: ~Pictures~ The Horror of Wheel Wells