Saw the Porsche Factory!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 10:27 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ed devinney
You can apparently make arrangements through PCNA (800-PORSCHE). If you speak German you can contact the factory: Frau Sigrid Mauz Fax: +49 (0)711 911 - 25111 .
4 years ago when I took my factory tour I called directly the 711-911 number and made the arrangements ( I was in France at the time). The lady who I forget her name spoke perfect English! I was floored by the fact that she actually sounded American and I could detect no hint of an accent. You can visit the factory only on working days and on the weekends you can visit the Centrum and Musuem only...
Old 11-30-2006, 11:25 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent pix!
Having been to Austria and Holland, just last year, I can, in my minds-eye remember such "views" very well.
G.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great pics...thanks for sharing...The bratwurst selection!!!!
Old 11-30-2006, 12:42 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Hmmm, I didn't think to try English :-) Jay - call the factory, there may be a cancellation.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

On my Germany-Austria-Hungary-Poland-Czech trip, I didn't find a single German who didn't speak English. In fact, they not only speak it, but speak it very well. Austria is similar, but the farther east you go, the less English you get. By the time we got to Poland, only the young 20-something crowd in the major cities spoke English.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:03 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Great trip, Don! We were there in 2002, and toured the Mercedes museum as well. My friend had arranged through our local Mercedes dealer for a factory tour, but somehow it didn't get communicated, so no tour. However, the M-B museum is huge and wonderful, well worth a little side trip from Stuttgart to Unterturkheim, on a separate train line but still not far.

We rented a E270 diesel in Paris and drove to Germany, using lots of back roads as well as the autobahn. The diesel was okay, just don't get in the fast lanehttps://rennlist.com/forums/newreply.php#
burnout
Old 12-01-2006, 12:24 AM
Spodie!
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great shots, Don.

Here's a little tour of the Weissach Research facility by Sascha Maassen that I captured off the TV.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:35 AM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ed devinney
You can apparently make arrangements through PCNA (800-PORSCHE). If you speak German you can contact the factory: Frau Sigrid Mauz Fax: +49 (0)711 911 - 25111 .
She speaks and writes perfect English and is quite a nice young lady. PM me if you need her email address.

Don
Old 12-01-2006, 12:38 AM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Don, I just checked out your website. We, too, rented a car and drove Germany, did Neuschwanstein, Schwarzwald and the Alps. Germany is a beautiful country, but we had overcast and foggy skies, so our pictures didn't turn out as nice as yours. I would really like to know if I could download some of your original sized pictures (just the scenery ones, of course) from Germany and Austria??
Thanks for the kind words. You are welcome to download anything off the site. If you want the real hi-res versions, just PM/Email me and let me know which ones you want.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:40 AM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike J
Hey Don, do they still allow the employees to have beer at lunch in the cafeteria? I was told when I was there that they could have a beer on break from the assembly line...

They were just prototyping the V8 when I was there and they had the same assembly line you are talking about...the "mechanic" walks with the engines, builds it on a jig, and then they fire up the engine for breakin. Its pretty interesting. Too bad they were doing the 996 engines at the time...I would have found it facinating to see the 993 engines being built!

Did they still have the two story route for the bodies where they go up to the second floor first for painting etc?

Cheers,

Mike
IIRC, the beer is still on for lunch. And yup, got to see the engines going in to the test area and being run at full performance spec. And the bodies are built across the street and transit over the street - it's really cool to watch.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:41 AM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Leland Pate
Don, you NOODLHEAD! I am only three hours north of where you were!
I woulda drove down and bought you a beer or something.

Ah well, hope you had a good time.
Hey Leland - yeah, if I was on my own I would have looked you up. But this was a father-son trip and we had a lot of ground to cover. When I come out to the 'ring I'll find you then!
Old 12-01-2006, 12:52 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Cool

check out the TR-4 in pic #2
Old 12-01-2006, 02:07 AM
Paulsha911
Racer

I am flying to Frankfurt tomorrow morning, and already booked hotel and car rental to go to the Ring for the weekend. Now, I am tempted to go to see the 997 in production as well.

Did you have to book the factory tour in advance? Or just did it while you are at the museum?
Old 12-01-2006, 02:13 AM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Paulsha911
Did you have to book the factory tour in advance? Or just did it while you are at the museum?
Yes, you need to book it far in advance. There are only two English tours a day. However, if you want, stop by and see if there is a no-show or cancellation. What do you have to loose? Call and ask.

You do know the factory is in Stuttgart which is not exactly close to the Ring.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:18 AM
Paulsha911
Racer

You do know the factory is in Stuttgart which is not exactly close to the Ring.
I know. That's the dilema. If I haul ***, I might be able to get there from the Ring in 3 hours? The ring is about an hour and 45 minutes from FRA. How long did it take you to go from FRA to the museum? The museum is not exactly in Stuttgart is it? It's on the outskirt, right? Anyway, I got that on GPS. Based on American speed limit (my GPS software), the trip is like 4.5 hours!

It might rain on Sunday so may be I'll chicken out (of the ring) and go to the museum instead.

Quick Reply: Saw the Porsche Factory!