Sponsored by:

AC/Heat Fan not Blowing Very Hard

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 06:21 PM
mkess
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default AC/Heat Fan not Blowing Very Hard

I just had some an after market amplifier installed (I know, my flat-6 SHOULD be enough music for me, which it is, but my wife has other thoughts about what constitutes music) in conjunction w/ a new Alpine HU. I did not want the amp installed in the trunk, so my installer put it under the front passenger seat. When doing so, he told me he had to remount 2 cpu's which were under the seat, and removed a piece of sheet metal from the same location.

When I got the car back today I noticed that the fan speed was SLOW, perceptible, but slow. Anyone know where the fan controller is located? Is it under the front passenger seat? Could a fuse have been blown during the install?

Many thanks all

MK
Old 07-23-2006, 01:38 AM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey MK. Is the fan blower motor actually slow, or is the airflow slow? It sounds like the "wheezing" fan issue where the vacuum line gets disconnected under the dash - below the ccu/radio area. If it does and you have the air on a/c or recirc, then you won't have any inlet source open to get the air. So the fans still run but just no air pressure. You could look up under the dash behind the ccu and possibly find a loose vacuum line that has been pulled out of its connection. Another question is if when not on recirc or a/c, does fan speed/air pressure return to normal?

To answer your question directly though, no, there is no fan controller under the seat. The fans are controlled entirely by the ccu in the dash.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:39 AM
mkess
Advanced

Thanks Brian. The airflow is definitely slow. Recirc or A/C on/off does not seem to make a difference, nor does MAX A/C. It blows cold w/ the A/C on but it only blows at 1 speed, and that the equivalent of #1 on the fan dial. I will check it again to see how it blows if the A/C is switched off.

Where under the dash is the vacuum line - on the passenger or diver's side?

Thanks
Old 07-23-2006, 10:38 AM
chet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's on the driver's side close to the center, pretty much under the spot where the ccu sits.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:04 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

You may also want to check the Fan Relay. Mine waas loose a while back & caused the fan to not blow at Max Speed. It's located in the fuse box on the left side of the engine compartment.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:30 PM
mkess
Advanced

"Hey MK. Is the fan blower motor actually slow, or is the airflow slow? It sounds like the "wheezing" fan issue where the vacuum line gets disconnected under the dash - below the ccu/radio area. If it does and you have the air on a/c or recirc, then you won't have any inlet source open to get the air. So the fans still run but just no air pressure. You could look up under the dash behind the ccu and possibly find a loose vacuum line that has been pulled out of its connection. Another question is if when not on recirc or a/c, does fan speed/air pressure return to normal?

To answer your question directly though, no, there is no fan controller under the seat. The fans are controlled entirely by the ccu in the dash."

(I can't figure out the proper way to quote yet)

I stand corrected - the flow is slower when either the A/C or Recirc vuttons are depressed. Regular fan speed seems to be OK otherwise. I looked under the dash area but could not see anything loose. Doesn't mean it's not, just couldn't tell.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:40 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Try this page for the wheezing issue: http://p-car.com/diy/acdiag.html Should be enough to trace out the vacuum or servo issues that lead to wheezing.

I actually just recently fixed a partial wheeze on my car. In the engine bay, a 4-way vacuum line distributor piece had a loose connection. It let enough vacuum bleed off to only barely allow that recirc flap to open.

Quick Reply: AC/Heat Fan not Blowing Very Hard