Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just joined the Top End Rebuild club

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 09:22 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

While you are in there why don't you try some 9M heads? ! ;-)
Old 07-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Reynard38
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Caveman
While you are in there why don't you try some 9M heads? ! ;-)
Is Ninemeister affiliated with anyone in the US yet? You do need the live remap to get the most from his heads.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:44 AM
hidden
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious. When I had bought the Porsche it had 35K miles on it. I'm sitting around 41K now. I figured it was a porsche so I could get an easy 100K plus without any major engine work I figured. I was actually quite surprised when I read this thread. Very disappointed also. Porsche had 30+ years to perfect this car. Why did they use poor valve guides? Is this something I have to worry about in the next 10K miles?

I'm not happy about spending 5K on a top end rebuild. I think that is rediculous at only 50K or so miles.

I love the car very much. This is my next question. I'm pretty toolsy and have a pretty good asortment of tools. If one did a top end rebuild themselves what would the cost be in parts? Assuming using better than stock parts. (Want the rebuild to last longer).

Thank you guys.

Dave
Old 07-21-2006, 01:13 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by delanobe
Hi Mike,

Is your car ok now because I thought you had a problem with it after the rebuild?

regards
Seems to be fine...I had another thread about the weird problem I was having. It appears to have been the fuel pressure check valve that is located by the fuel pump. Its running strong now, the interior is almost all in, exterior is all done with four coats of Zaino, and its off to the Porsche Parade in a few weeks with the car.....so its all good.

Cheers!

Mike
Old 07-21-2006, 04:33 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Is it me or do you guys in the US seem to need these top end rebuilds much sooner than us over here in the UK? I'm wondering if it's partly due to the extremes of weather that you get, compared to us, and also the fact that some of your cars are very low mileage (which suggests periods of inactivity and/or significant urban driving). Of course it might be because we put off dealing with strange ticking noises, etc longer!

Cheers,

David
Old 07-22-2006, 02:01 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Caveman
Is it me or do you guys in the US seem to need these top end rebuilds much sooner than us over here in the UK? I'm wondering if it's partly due to the extremes of weather that you get, compared to us, and also the fact that some of your cars are very low mileage (which suggests periods of inactivity and/or significant urban driving). Of course it might be because we put off dealing with strange ticking noises, etc longer!

Cheers,

David
Also a fair amount of the rebuilds are due to the SAI issues which you don't have. i had 120,000miles on my 83SC and it used oil but still ran strong. My 993 had to be rebuilt because the valve wear was causing misfires on idle (valves were not seating properly) so it was not an SAI error. It would be interesting to do another poll on valve guide wear but also include a geographic split so see if there are differences...

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Just joined the Top End Rebuild club