Sponsored by:

Petit LeMans Road Atlanta- looks like I'm going to see the RS Spyder up close:

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 08:06 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ARM993
Gordo, are you driving down from St. Louis? I'm trying to decide between a run up to the Mosport race or down to Road Atlanta. Looks like about roughly the same distance from Champaign, IL area. I might make a go for it.

We drive down from St. Louis - pickup full of four wheelers and pop-up trailer!! We are planning on leaving Wed morning and coming home sunday. It's a long drive, but worth it!!
Old 07-18-2006, 10:54 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by brucec59
Okay, where can I get that yellow foil that looks like it belongs on a NASA spacecraft?
The heat rejection foil is used by just about all of our race teams. Its self adhesive backed. I think its available through BRITS in Sonoma. 707-935-3637, ask for Travis. He's actually a Porche trained tech as well
Old 07-18-2006, 11:21 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 561 Likes on 354 Posts

Gordo,

I saw your post referencing four-wheelers and recalled a statement I saw in a Road Atlanta publication about unlicensed vehicles. Apparently, there's a new rule for 2006.

Here it is directly off the Road Atlanta website:

"Any non-licensed motorized and or battery operated vehicle must be registered with Road Atlanta security. There will be a $50 fee to register the vehicle. Unregistered vehicles will be impounded and not released until the conclusion of the race. All operators must be of legal driving age and possess a driving license. The following vehicles are not permitted onto the property: Go- Carts, Motorcycles smaller then 125cc, Motorized and non-motorized scooters (i.e. Razors)."

TMc
Old 07-18-2006, 11:42 PM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gordo993
We drive down from St. Louis - pickup full of four wheelers and pop-up trailer!! We are planning on leaving Wed morning and coming home sunday. It's a long drive, but worth it!!
It does look like a good distance. I've got a free pass from the wife for one more big race weekend this year in the fall. Got to get a new set of treads on the 993 first as they may be bald by the time I get back. If I decide to go I'm thinking of a side trip to run the Tail of the Dragon. I'll drop you a line if I go. Maybe a Rennlist gathering in the campground.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:26 AM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TMc993
Gordo,

I saw your post referencing four-wheelers and recalled a statement I saw in a Road Atlanta publication about unlicensed vehicles. Apparently, there's a new rule for 2006.

Here it is directly off the Road Atlanta website:

"Any non-licensed motorized and or battery operated vehicle must be registered with Road Atlanta security. There will be a $50 fee to register the vehicle. Unregistered vehicles will be impounded and not released until the conclusion of the race. All operators must be of legal driving age and possess a driving license. The following vehicles are not permitted onto the property: Go- Carts, Motorcycles smaller then 125cc, Motorized and non-motorized scooters (i.e. Razors)."

TMc

That's very similar to last year - you have to register your larger than 125cc off-road vehicle with security upon arrival. This was implemented because there were a bunch of kids blasting around on those little 50cc pocket bikes generating alot of complaints and I think a few got wrecked resulting in lawsuits. Evidently, unbenounced (sp?) to some parents, Road Atlanta is not a child-care facility.

We usually bring two 450cc four-wheelers, but the pop-up camper is new this year and will most likely restrict us to one.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:18 AM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice pictures. I was at the Houston Race also and was pleased/suprised by the access in the paddocks. I have some photos of the Porsche and Aston Matrtin teams but not on this computer. I will remember to post later.

What a terrific combination; ALMS and Champ car on the same weekend! Now if only IRL & Champ car can get their act together maybe we can see more of this combination in the future. The promotor of the Houston Race (owner of Mijack Champ car team) also owns the rights to the Cleveland Champ car race. I was at both and they did an admirable job. Great turn out at both events (100,000+ at each).

In January of this year I was at Sebring driving at the BMW Winterfest. The event ended Sunday and we were packing up having some refreshments when one of the track workers came by to tell us we had to move on. Moments later 2 Porsche/Penske/DHL tractor trailors crossed the bridge to the infield area followed by the factory Audi team. It turns out that Penske/Porsche and Audi rented Sebring for 3 days of testing in preparation for the 24 hours of Daytona. We were staying at the track at Chateau Elan and saw the R10 Audi on the track (the car is virtually silent) and only heard the Prosche Spyder RS (that thing is screaming loud) Monday morning before we left. Their paddock areas were completely curtained off and all the entrances/exits to the track were either blocked by concrete barricades or posted with guards to screen entrants. Very secretive about development at that time.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:54 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Question: should I tell Panoz I own a Porsche?

Suppose I could kiss *** by giving him props for the GT2 LeMans win and ending Porsche's rein (grrrr).
Old 07-20-2006, 12:44 AM
enjoytheride
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A Few More Pics...

Here's a few pics I took 2 weeks ago the Utah Grand Prix at Miller Motorsport Park. Fantastic track. The Penske/Porsche guys were all real nice. It was cool to see their 14 sets of spare wheels piled up in the GT garage next to ours...

And of course 1 of the R10 for good measure:
Old 07-22-2006, 11:35 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 561 Likes on 354 Posts

Ritter,

Whatever you tell Dr. Panoz, please thank him for making the ALMS series so fan friendly. There's not another series anywhere that allows fans such complete access to the cars and the competitors. In F1 and NASCAR the "eveyday fan" finds himself pressed against a chainlink fence trying to get a glimpse of a car. In the ALMS the fans can actually touch the cars and speak with the drivers. As the series ads say, it is truly "For the Fans" and we owe him a "Thanks!" for making it that way.

TMc
Old 07-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Will do. Guess its representative of his and his son's atitude; they did this becuase they are first and foremost, fans of racing. I mean what guy in his right mind would undertake this otherwise?

Just like, erm, Mr. Ecclestone. Not!
Old 09-26-2006, 02:10 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

For those that have attended before, what do I need to know about attending this race? Tips for parking etc would be appreciated.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:54 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh man - Im getting jealous. When I was in college in Atlanta, I would drive up to Dahlonaga and ride my bicycle up the gaps north of there. My favorite route included Suches amd Wolfpen gap. Take TMC up on his offer - the roads are phenominal! I could just imagine what its like in a p-car!
Old 09-26-2006, 02:56 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Chris,

thanks for the shots. I especially love the exhausts, so grude & mean looking!
(I'd love to hear certain "you need backpressure to have torque" people comment's on those)
Old 09-26-2006, 07:06 PM
farmerjohn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys. I'm thinking of taking my first trip to a real race. I recently joined PCA - is that all I need to enjoy the Porscheplatz? Is infield parking a good idea? And how many recommend ear-plugs?

Thanks, John

See you there?
Old 09-27-2006, 12:11 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ALMS is some great racing. Here are a few shots I took at Road America last month to get you in the mood. The Audis are eerily quiet & the rumble of the Corvettes gives you goosebumps. You guys are going to have a blast.

Last edited by STLPCA; 07-23-2013 at 03:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Petit LeMans Road Atlanta- looks like I'm going to see the RS Spyder up close: