Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It pays to go to traffic court even if it's inconvenient!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts
Default It pays to go to traffic court even if it's inconvenient!

So I posted here a few months ago that I got a speeding ticket - 53 in a 35 but reduced to 44 in a 35 on the scene. Some people posted here that I should just pay the fine and forgetaboutit. That would have meant higher insurance rates with the 1 point they invoke in Maryland for that speed. Some said it wouldn't be worth my time going to court as they already reduced my speed to just 9 over and the judge might get pi**ed that I was fighting it (just by being there and taking up court time) and invoke a stiffer fine. Others said "Take it like a man and move on...".

Then there were some of you that said "You never know... show up, plead guilty, and use as an explanation - 'Your honor, it was a sunny day, the speed got away from me, but I know there's no excuse for speeding. Here's a copy of my driving record from the MVA which shows I have no violations or points on my record". Then I'd see what happened after pleading guilty. Hopefully a reduction of the point to probation before verdict with no points.

So, I'm sitting there, nervous as usual. I sit through 2 hours of lame excuses, outright lies, tall tales, weak stories, and shifty characters. There's about 10 people left in the room and only 1 cop. I kept looking at the 8 cops that showed up that day, not remembering which one gave me the ticket. I thought "Was it the buzzcut overweight guy that's up at bat now? Was it the smaller, youngish guy?" I just couldn't remember.

All of a sudden I looked around the room - where was MY cop? It certainly wasn't the African American cop that was left in the room as mine was a caucasion cop. Could it be? Could I really be so lucky, again? It's been many years since "my cop" simply didn't show up. Was it because I rescheduled this court date once, as some of you suggested doing so? I thought... "this is too good to be true". Yep, it was true, and it sure was good.

I hear the judge say "Stephen XXXXXXX... the policeman didn't show today so you are lucky. This court finds you Not Guilty." How sweet were those words? I felt like doing a cartwheel down the aisle.

So, it does pay to show up! You never know... On another note, I don't have a radar detector and never will. I hate the annoying beeps and the distracting lights, so I know to slow down and be more careful around town. You can still have alot of fun driving within the limits on city streets and the highway in a 993. It's still the same great car!

This ticket was the result of getting popped on a sunny, Sunday morning at 930am, 2 miles from my house on a main thoroughfare (Randolph Rd going east in Rockville, MD). They were just standing in the street waving people over. It's funny - sometimes I drive by there at around the same time on Sunday mornings and see them waiving people over just in front of me, cringing that I forgot about this speed trap. I get this sick feeling in my stomach and immediately look at my speedometer to see how fast I was going. Invariably I was speeding, again! DOH! How quickly I forget.

Did you ever go to court practicing your "Guilty with an explanation" excuse over and over when all of a sudden you realize your cop didn't even show?

Cheers,
Steve R

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 07-11-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:05 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Congratulations! Now go and spend the ticket money on something you want. Look at it as money earned!

I always show up in court. I have gotten 75% success rate so far on getting my ticket dismissed somehow. It takes your whole afternoon, but it beats paying the ticket and having your insurance increased.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are correct....you were lucky.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:25 PM
ENTROPY
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I handle a few of these for friends in South Florida. Down here it almost always pays to challenge the ticket. For what they charge your best bet is to hire one of the many ticket attorneys. They have a good success rate and you don't have to wait around. There are many ways to beat a ticket. Most of them are won because they were written incorrectly. I have been in the system for 15 years and it is always nice to hear from a judge that you have won! Congrats.

Dan
Old 07-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Thanks, guys! It's not a major victory, I didn't wins the Grand Prix, but I'm pretty pleased right now. I did yell a loud "Yahooooooooooooo" when I got out of the courthouse I'll always be a Toys R Us kid.

Steve R
Old 07-11-2006, 10:32 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Steve - thanks for sharing your experiences...... however, I think you would be suprised at how little falses you get with a modern, expert radar detector - X50 or V1.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:35 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for sharing.
Do you flash your fellow drivers to alert them re revenue agents ahead?
Congrats
Jack
Old 07-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Great story, as usual, Steve. A little bit of time and effort pays off. Never, ever give in by sending the ticket in and pleading guilty. Now that you're done, go to the MVA and get your record expunged. You'll be golden, forever. Believe me.

Just seven hours ago, late for an appointment, hauling *** and trying to make up time, I got pulled over for speeding in Baltimore City, probably doing thirty over. Unbeknownst to me, I passed an unmarked cop car and got pulled over. Must have been my lucky day, for all he asked me was if I was going to an emergency. I told him I was late for a work appointment and didn't play any games with him by denying how fast I was going. He merely told me to slow it down and let me go on my way. Very lucky.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:31 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sweet!
Old 07-12-2006, 01:33 AM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,

First of all....congratulations! I bet it did feel awesome. Were you using a detector when you got popped?

Dave
p.s. I always courtesy flash oncoming traffic to let them know that the grim reaper is lying in wait
Old 07-12-2006, 01:41 AM
Jeff A 993
Instructor

I got hit while in NY state on a family vacation.

Officer admitted it was a speed trap, and could not give me a break because state was funding their weekend overtime.

But, he all but guaranteed that if I showed up in court it would be dismissed.

It's for 70 in a 55, so it might be worth my while to take a trip to NY, visit Niagra falls, and still be ahead in terms of ticket and insurance $'s (as my record is clean, even with the 993 and a bike).

-- Jeff
Old 07-12-2006, 02:48 AM
recboil
5th Gear

Hey Steve, its good to hear that the judge let you go. I'm from the Rockville, MD area I got my second ticket just last month going 83 on a 55. I was on I-270 about to merge onto I-495 headed towards College Park and the cop said I passed him and pulled me over. I'm not sure how he saw me as I'm usually very aware of my surroundings. I'm def taking this one to court. Any advice as to how I should handle this? Are cops trained to eyeball the speed of a car if you pass them? Should I try rescheduling the court date? Anybody know of any good excuses? Are lawyer fees worth paying in this situation? What is everyone's experience with cops not showing up in court? Thanks for ya'lls help.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:43 AM
obchuck
Racer

I'll join recboil! I just got a ticket about a week ago. 49mph in a 25(school zone!). Officer was kind enough to make it 49 in a 35 however. This is the reason I started the recent Radar Detector thread (I know, I'm lazy and should have researched it here instead of posting a new thread - truthfully, I'm new and don't know how ). Anyway, like recboil, I'd appreciate the same kind of advice: Tips to get it lowered/waived/cancelled/etc. I'd just like to have it not show up on my insurance. I didn't know about this lawyer thing??? Ticket Lawyers?? I don't see how that's going to cost any LESS??? Thanks fellas.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:35 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by obchuck
Tips to get it lowered/waived/cancelled/etc. I'd just like to have it not show up on my insurance. I didn't know about this lawyer thing??? Ticket Lawyers?? I don't see how that's going to cost any LESS??? Thanks fellas.
If it is your first ticket in 3 years...just plead "NOLO" , it won't show on your insurance, just have to pay the fine
Old 07-12-2006, 08:46 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a court date next week for the "defective exhaust" on my SC. Cop said it was too loud. Well, too loud and defective are two different things and the VA law on this makes no mention of decibel level. My B&B is in perfect working order. Not sure whether to just argue this or put a stock muffler on, take a photo and tell the judge I got it "fixed". Other issue is the car is probably sold and will be picked up before my court date.

Quick Reply: It pays to go to traffic court even if it's inconvenient!