Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* Pictures * Deutsche Classic - Pennsylvania

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 04:21 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That dog should have a little more respect for that upon which he pisses.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:27 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brucec59
That dog should have a little more respect for that upon which he pisses.
Look closely ...it's a plastic doggie.
The owner's kids 'organized' that gimmick for him ...figuring it would net him more "people's choice" traffic+votes.

Guess what ...it worked!
Old 07-21-2006, 11:30 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

since you won the prize for cleanest engine, can you describe that process too...
Old 07-25-2006, 03:35 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
since you won the prize for cleanest engine, can you describe that process too...
Sure.

After doing the "searches" and reading up on advice from e.g. autopia and other 'detailing' websites and my own experimentation, here's the scoop:

1) First do no harm -- cover the air-filter inlet and 'obvious' electrical connectors with tin foil. I tried using 'cling-wrap' and 'plastic with rubber bands' but it just didn't do it for me. The foil is easier to see and doesn't require rubber bands plus it doesn't 'disintegrate' (under the force of a garden hose) like cling-wrap seems to.
1a) You CAN remove the engine-bottom-cover if you like -- (I didn't).
2) Since you have the 'hood' open...the 'light' is probably ON ...just press down on the latch and it will go OFF.
3) Using those 'containers' that you attach to the end of your garden hose (you know the ones that allow you to 'spray' your grass/shrubs with anti-insect stuff - having three settings - on - off and 'fill' -- put about a cupful of Dawn detergent in and set it to 'fill'.
4) When the nozzle starts to 'foam' -- set the selector to 'on' and liberally spray your engine with this mixture of water and detergent. Be prepared to spend about 10 mins. doing this and make sure you get to the BACK ...where the suspension 'tops' are.
5) Re-fill - not with Dawn -- but with a mild shampoo e.g. Johnson's baby shampoo. Reason? Dawn will leave 'white streaks' if left to dry.
5a) Liberally spray the engine area all over again.
6) You should, by now, see a lot of 'dirty water' down by your feet. If you do, good, coz THAT _used_ to be on your engine.
7) Fill a small bucket with a mixture of water and mild-shampoo and make it very sudsy.
8) Dip a sponge into this bucket and thoroughly clean your engine. Try and get into every nook and cranny. The 'sponge' being compressible will allow you to to get into nooks -- but because it 'expands' will NOT 'disappear' down into the engine-dungeons if you happen to drop it. It also has a much better 'suds carrying capacity' than e.g. old rags.
9) When you've pretty much 'washed' the living daylights out of the engine - top (below where the sound insulation is) - front (fan, fan belts and 'piping' etc.) - left (distributors etc.) - right (air-filter area) - and both 'rears' (back where rear suspension is) then go rinse it with clean water which is *under pressure*. Don't have the water TOO hot (if you're rinsing with warm/hot water that is.) Personally I just used the garden hose ...but switched to the 'trigger-nozzle'.
10) Remove any and all tin foil, etc.
11) Let it air dry for at least 30 mins.
12) Start the car and take it around the block a few times. 'Cornering' should cause any pooled water to dribble down and away.
13) 'Spruce up' the black plastics, rubber hoses and 'metal piping' with suitable 'dressings' available from any car-store.
14) Stand back and admire the engineering masterpiece that was lurking beneath all that dirt and dust!

:-)
G.

One last tip. When 'cleaning' the engine area with the sponge -- don't be a hamfisted oaf! -- sometimes the 'clearances' are very tight -- and you might - if you force things - cause a connector or vacuum line to become dislodged "as you clean". Remember - first do no harm! Be 'gentle' "getting into the nook" and "on your way OUT of the nook".

Last edited by g_murray; 07-25-2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:07 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

G-

Thanks for the tips. I like the Dawn detergent tip the most.

I would like to suggest to step 8.. to also use a variety of paint brushes with your cleaning solution to get in the nooks and crannies. My favorite is a 4 inch house paint brush with a rubber band (cut from and old motorcycle inner tube) around the metal portion of the brush to avoid nicks it might cause in tight confines. Works great on wheels, too.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:43 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kkim
G-

Thanks for the tips. I like the Dawn detergent tip the most.

I would like to suggest to step 8.. to also use a variety of paint brushes with your cleaning solution to get in the nooks and crannies. My favorite is a 4 inch house paint brush with a rubber band (cut from and old motorcycle inner tube) around the metal portion of the brush to avoid nicks it might cause in tight confines. Works great on wheels, too.
Ye velcum.

Dawn is a powerful detergent ...but it contains 'phosphates'. This is why, if you use it to 'wash' your car ..you'll see 'white spots' where it has dried before you had a chance to rinse it away. The mild-shampoo trick is to 'flush' all the Dawn away coz it's no longer needed (now) - and replace it with water that doesn't dry to an unsightly stain.

Yeah, "little brushes" rock. I also use this 'trick' to introduce 'dressing' e.g. **in between** the rubber connectors of the dual distributors. (Yes, folks you read that tip here!)

I got 50 "pastry brushes" (10" long handles) on ebay the other day -- $8 ...what's NOT to like!?

G.

Quick Reply: * Pictures * Deutsche Classic - Pennsylvania