Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello from 993tt area...need help with lifter replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006 | 09:34 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Default Hello from 993tt area...need help with lifter replacement.

Greetings. Im in the middle of of replacing the new lifter onto the cam foot. Seems the fit is too tight and Is expected. Question: whats the easiest way (short of paying someone to do it) to push them in?

The lifter has a movable cap which I fear may bend if I used my thumbs over it and just pressed in with huevos.

Any tips??

Jaime
Old 07-09-2006 | 09:48 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Have you checked to make sure that all of the old lifter debris is clear of the passage? The lifters should be lubricated or "soaked" in oil. AFAIK, they should just slide in easily if they are at the right angle. I have never done them myself so this is just my .02...
Old 07-09-2006 | 09:53 PM
deltawedge
Racer

After clearing all old o-ring material from the lifter bore (the o-ring typically breaks when the lifter is removed). After starting the lifter by hand, I used a socket to slide over the swivel end so that the socket rested on the lifter body (not the swivel end). Then I tapped tapped the socket with a hammer until the lifter bottomed in the bore (the clink noise when hit changes tone when the lifter hits the bottom of the bore). Hope that helps.

Good luck.
Old 07-09-2006 | 10:08 PM
cowtown
Racer

I pulled the new lifter out of an oil bath so it was nice and slippery, then pressed it into the rocker (sitting on the bench) with my thumb. It took a hard push, but that little cap on the lifter is going to be banging against a valve stem soon, so I think thumb pressure is OK. Once you get it into the bore straight, it slides right in with a satisfying click.
Old 07-10-2006 | 01:00 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Guys, thank you so much. I did just that, pushed a well lubricated (oil bath overnight) tappet by just grabbing it with my fingers from the body and put some huevos into it. Just like Cowtown says, it's very satisfying as when you are bottomed out you will feel and hear a "snap". Satisfying indeed.

thank you

Jaime

Quick Reply: Hello from 993tt area...need help with lifter replacement.