Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY : Improving the crappy turbo duct lights...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 11:39 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 97 993c2
Wait a minute.. i also have the turbo-S ducts from the group buy from MA Shaw and, one of my fog lights failed. Mike, is this the same as yours? Why are these so bad? Are the factory ones better? anyone else have problems?
I got them from another rennlister so I don't know where they are from. However you can likely tell if they are the same as mine if the reflector is built into the unit or is a seperate light. The reflector and lens that was on my ducts did not throw very much light and the connection to the bulb was very mickeymouse...it made changing the buld really hard. I just did not like the design. There as a thread a while ago about upgrading the lights in this particular series of ducts....and I posted my mods as a response.

I doubt if these are from MA Shaw, it looks from the picture above that they are built pretty good and have a proper seperate light. If the light failed it could just be the bulb failing...mabye infant mortality (i.e. new items usually have some sort of failure rate). Change the bulb and see how long you get on the next one. If it fails fairly quickly then you might have a problem..

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-09-2006, 11:51 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rob
The factory Turbo S ducts just have a low wattage "positioning" (i.e., parking) light, NOT a halogen fog.

I don't believe the group buy was from Mike Shaw, but rather from "Nick Mrozinski," a Rennlist classified advertiser. I've not heard of any problems w/Shaw's ducts.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:29 AM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Mike, is there anything you can't do?

Excellent work!
Old 07-10-2006, 01:00 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by gordo993
Damn Mike, is there anything you can't do?

Excellent work!
Well, my handstands pretty well suck......

There are lots of Rennlisters better at this than me (and some worse too) but I think it comes down to making the effort. Look at the stuff that guys like Robert Linton produced...way way past any of the stuff that I do. Everyone has some capablity and my hats off to all those who take it in their own hands and give it a try...even if it screws up. That's the way you learn.

And the beauty of the internet...you don't see my screwups! (well, except for getting the cams timed wrong but I could not resist showing that one!!).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome work Mike! Looks fantastico. I may end up with a set of these as well. I have the OEM Turbo S ducts so I will have to measure the opening to see if it's the same size opening as your's.

Thanks again for the pics.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:59 PM
993polarsilver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for another great DIY! I'll be using this when I get around to upgrading my front bumper.

You should partner with Robin and make the Mother Of All 993 DIY Workbooks. I'd buy it!
Old 07-20-2006, 11:18 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Mike,
Great idea and nice choice of lights. I do have a word of warning concerning the durability of these specific lamps though. The Micro DEs came stock on my 2001 4Runner (purchased new). Since then, I have gone through two complete sets of these due to extensive corrosion of the magnesium housing. I think it has a great deal to do with what our streets get treated with during the winter, coupled with constant moisture exposure in the lower area of the bumper.

In each instance, Hella was kind enough to replace the lamps, but the second time around, I was told that I should fabricate a shield to protect the rear of the lamps from road spray. Apparently, Hella designed this shield for Toyota in response to numerous corrosion cases. In turn, Toyota opted not to have these produced...

One of the corroded lamps:

Hella's solution:

My exact copy of Hella's guard:

Installed:

Since the lights in the turbo duct are not exposed in the same way as the ones on my 4Runner, you should be fine. I've actually thought of doing the same, since the lights really are well constructed and I'm a longtime Hella fan anyway. You may wish to consider a layer of high-temp silicone around the rear of the magnesium housing. Gently install the rubber cover, allowing it to bed into the silicone. I did this last year and the lights seem fine. The bulbs rarely burn out - but once the corrosion sets in, you'll get a fist-full of white powder after yanking the rubber cover off

Andreas
Old 07-21-2006, 01:00 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Andreas,

My car is off the road a few months of the year when the weather gets nasty so, while its driven in the rain, it does not see hardly any of the "road chemicals" that a 12 month a year sees.

I don't have a good feeling how must stuff gets thrown onto these lights...and they are much deeper into the bumper cavity than the old ones so they might be more exposed. I will check them when I take the car off the road in December and see how much stuff has accumulated.

Good idea with the shields!

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: DIY : Improving the crappy turbo duct lights...