993 Forum 1995-1998

Bike Rack

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 02:01 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G-Man993
...I use to transport my bike in the back seat of my 911 by removing both wheels and putting the bike in a padded bag that I made specially (I put the wheels in the boot). Regardless of this I was still not happy with the wear and tear this caused the interior of my Porsche...

i used to use my sisters lexus (my bad) & she was not too happy when the little scratches & oil spots began to add up (as careful as i was)............ i would def. not put my bike inside.

btw: adrienne ~ i bought that rack & was unable to afix as it required me to drill into the bumper plastic ("new" holes next to the already present, lic. plate holder, ones). i was also a bit afraid of that rack b/c the strap that hooks to the trunk lid holds all the weight. btw: i'd be a bit leary of going over bumps w/ that rack (sorry just imho). saw a car w/ the same rack bounce its bikes off in an intersection. (maybe they had oo many bike on it though) dunno...

also agree w/ the "bike hits tunnel theory" so true!... funny i would put an arrow sticker on my tac. to remind me while driving. tarded
Old 07-08-2006, 04:39 PM
adams993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would put my bike in the back seat, but I have GT3 Fixed back seats, so there is NO way for it to fit. ANyone have pics of the tequipment?
ADAM
Old 07-09-2006, 02:00 AM
adams993
Burning Brakes

Specialized Allez with full DuraAce 10, Cinelli Ram bars, seatpost, and cages, Fizik Arione Ti, Mavic Ksyrium ES, Michelin Pro Tires, etc etc. Soon to be a Cinelli Mecano Carbon Frame....fork, etc.
ADAM
Old 07-09-2006, 02:22 AM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it have a RUF decal....?
Old 07-09-2006, 05:36 AM
G-Man993

I did contemplate making up a bike rack that had its main 'arm' bending under the rear bumper and fixing somewhere behind the bumper bar where there would be no contact with exposed painted surfaces, holes in bumper bars etc.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:40 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

See https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/83307-anyone-for-thule-roof-racks-group-buy-europe.html
Old 07-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 24FPS
i used to use my sisters lexus (my bad) & she was not too happy when the little scratches & oil spots began to add up (as careful as i was)............ i would def. not put my bike inside.

btw: adrienne ~ i bought that rack & was unable to afix as it required me to drill into the bumper plastic ("new" holes next to the already present, lic. plate holder, ones). i was also a bit afraid of that rack b/c the strap that hooks to the trunk lid holds all the weight. btw: i'd be a bit leary of going over bumps w/ that rack (sorry just imho). saw a car w/ the same rack bounce its bikes off in an intersection. (maybe they had oo many bike on it though) dunno...

also agree w/ the "bike hits tunnel theory" so true!... funny i would put an arrow sticker on my tac. to remind me while driving. tarded
Yes, new holes are required, but it's behind the license plate so not visible. The strap needs to be tightened so that there is no slack; otherwise yes, it will move over bumps. I have had my rack for a couple years, no problem. I also had the same rack on my 964. Another advantage to this rack is that it fits quite easily in the front bonnet when not in use.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Cy
Racer

Fortunately, I can bike to where I ride now in less than 10 mins. However, I'm definitely interested in these experiences and opinions because if I ever live in the same city as my car again (stored 800 miles away for over 3 loooong years . . . *sigh*) I'll probably need to transport my bike to reasonable riding areas.

Thanks for the above opinions from others and please keep us posted on your progress Adam.

Kind regards,
Old 07-10-2006, 08:06 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Adam, I think I have a Thule and possibly a BIC gutter mount rack system. I'd have to dig around the attic. If you are still looking, let me know.

I've accumulated quite the collection over the years.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:22 PM
adams993
Burning Brakes

BIC gutter mount? What is that? Tony, send me a PM! THAT WOULD BE RAD! And I am a DuraAce guy....probably for life....just feels more solid to me than Campy.
ADAM
Old 07-10-2006, 08:34 PM
jhale
Pro

Campy goes the distance and is much smoother I think. I have seen a few people out here with the bike rack on top and I think the only option is the gutter mounts. In fact, a neighbor down the street has C4 and I think he has a rack on his. I'll try and see which one he uses. Didn't you remove the gutters on your car?
Old 07-10-2006, 08:37 PM
adams993
Burning Brakes

No I have not removed my gutters...can you take pics of their cars with the racks? THANKS!
ADAM
Old 07-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Dura Ace more solid than Campy? That's it, you ain't getting JACK from me!

Just kidding, but there is no way Dura Ace is better than Campy. I can still get replacement parts for my Super Record gruppo, and it's all rebuildable. Shimano is replacement time if anything breaks or wears. I go through it with my mountain bike.

BIC was a company that sold a modular rack system, I think it was either French or English. It has foot pads along with the gutter mounts, where the Thule and Yakima only attach at the gutters.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:20 PM
adams993
Burning Brakes

PMed you
ADAM
Old 07-10-2006, 11:03 PM
WildWillard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yakima roof rack

I've been using my Yak roof rack to haul my road bike (2006 Giant TCR Advanced T-Mobile and 1989 Bottecchia prior to that) back and forth to work for a number of years. Both bikes are relatively large, but with the rack nearly to the engine lid & removing the seatpost, I can fit in my home and work garages.

Yakima is superior to Thule since it will work with the contours of the roof much better! Get some Rocky Mount trays and you're in business.

As for Campy vs. Shimano, having owned both, I will wait to pass judgement when the new bike has gone as long as the old one with as few problems as it had.

Quick Reply: Bike Rack