Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 Engine undertray

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 03:28 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1997 C2...mine is off...for a very simple reason...it is a pain in the butt to take it off every time you want to get jack stands under the back end because you need to lift the car by putting the jack under the engine...and you can't do that with the tray in place.

Mine is off and I do not hear much difference in sound....I do see a difference in oil temp (cooler). The aero concern is a new one I have never heard before.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:43 PM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Blue Ocean
Ty,
The car has to be raised some. If you can't jack it up, you might be able to drive the rear wheels up on some wood planks. You need about 6 in of clearance.
Ditto on Jeff's point. It will come off without jacking it up. But you won't get it out at least in one piece without jacking. Ask me how I know.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:37 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

MAN! This thread just kept going and going and going. Thank Pete cause I keep forgetting to remove mine.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:21 AM
omilu
Instructor

I really think that the engineers who designed such a great machine would not have put the tray on, and paid for it! unless they felt it necessary. I know that some racing and lighted up models don't have it, but if you have a production 993, it does. I do know that everything on my 95 has been really thought out, it is an engineering marvel! I do know everyone has their opinions, mine is to leave it on.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:21 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by omilu
I really think that the engineers who designed such a great machine would not have put the tray on, and paid for it! unless they felt it necessary. I know that some racing and lighted up models don't have it, but if you have a production 993, it does. I do know that everything on my 95 has been really thought out, it is an engineering marvel! I do know everyone has their opinions, mine is to leave it on.
Then, according to that logic, we should be happy with the SUV ride height and bumperettes on our US cars, because the government and Porsche engineers set it that way.

I ain'st () buying it.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:19 AM
mborkow
Drifting

I really think that the engineers who designed such a great machine would not have put the tray on, and paid for it! unless they felt it necessary.
these are the same great engineers that designed the ****ty SAI system that gets plugged way too early and often, and a stearing rack that leaks like a sive?
Old 07-13-2006, 10:26 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Well said mborkow.........I was thinking exactly the same.......and if they designed everything so well why do the door check straps need to be replaced every 50,000 miles.....oh and while we are on the subject.......why have an oil gauge that is useless......we all use the dipstick and the gauge is just for fun!!.....and while we are on it.....who in hell put the ISV where it is....we all know what a PITA that is to get out and clean.........and why put the second oil filter in such a dumb place............I love my car....very much but it was designed by a bunch of well meaning engineering nuts......just teasin you all
Old 07-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by dhicks
I love my car....very much but it was designed by a bunch of well meaning engineering nuts......just teasin you all
You don't truly love the marque.

I think there's an Alfa Romeo with your name on it.

j/k, David!
Old 07-13-2006, 10:44 AM
dhicks
Drifting

I know you are joking cos you know how much my car (and my previous 5 p-cars) means to me....I really do love everything Porsha....I just question the reasoning sometime.........personally I think they engineer their products very well, but I also think that on Friday lunch times the engineers go to the bar and have a few beers and start to discuss what would be fun to do so that the DIYers can have some interesting conundrums to fathom.......just imagine it/ Hans that ISV you designed is great, just a shame it needs to be cleaned every so often.........ah wolfgang, but you miss the point, I designed it like that so that we can put it on top of the engine while it is in production....you know, before we put it in the car......then those pesky DIYers have to figure out how to get it out! I can see bruised knuckles, sweat pouring over the brow and some choice words being used every time they want to clean it.....ya!!!....hohoho Hans, you are such a genius, I should never have question it......anybody else have any bright ideas for fun that we can build into this otherwise superbly engineered piece of German motor history......hahahahahahaha
Old 07-13-2006, 04:46 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Hans that ISV you designed is great, just a shame it needs to be cleaned every so often.
See if you used the gauge instead of the dipstick you wouldn't need to clean the ISV so often...
Old 07-13-2006, 04:49 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
See if you used the gauge instead of the dipstick you wouldn't need to clean the ISV so often...
that's true because i use the guage and i have never had to clean my ISV
Old 07-13-2006, 05:27 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Really...........so if I use the gauge and run the car until hot then park on level ground and fill the oil until the guage reads nearly full ...... I will have no need to ever clean my ISV again???? And this would be because .........
Old 07-13-2006, 07:33 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by omilu
I really think that the engineers who designed such a great machine would not have put the tray on, and paid for it! unless they felt it necessary..............................
You are absolutely correct, and there isn't any real argument about that if you look at most posts. The argument is all about what that engineering reason WAS! Now, the engineering staff that did it has said that it was done to meet the engineering requirements brought about by the extreme noise restrictions in two countries, and design/manufacturing/distribution (and the Japanese) said "then put it on all of them you Dummkopfs", we don't need any more country specific models.

But, others here know better!
Old 07-13-2006, 08:46 PM
Dad911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DaveM993
1997 C2...mine is off...for a very simple reason...it is a pain in the butt to take it off every time you want to get jack stands under the back end because you need to lift the car by putting the jack under the engine...and you can't do that with the tray in place.

Mine is off and I do not hear much difference in sound....I do see a difference in oil temp (cooler). The aero concern is a new one I have never heard before.

Perhaps they put the tray on to prevent using the engine as a jack point
Old 07-13-2006, 09:49 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Really...........
I was hoping the smiley and the sillyness of the statement (and this thread) would lead you to believe that I wasn't even remotely serious...

Quick Reply: 993 Engine undertray