Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 Engine undertray

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 09:01 PM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That tray was put there to catch all the engine oil before dripping on the garage floor
Ummmm...not really.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Chad T
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ARM993
Make sure when you go into advance search you select only the 993 board for the pertinent info. Here is a link to the most recent thread on this topic that will keep you busy for the rest of the night.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=engine+tray
This subject has been beaten to death on the 964 board too. If you vary your search (undertray, belly pan etc.) You'll find more info than you can imagine. I spent hours one night reading undertray threads. I still have mine on but have been thinking about just removing the sides and leaving the bottom on for aero/protection like Garret on the 964 forum has done. Seems to almost always come down to about 50/50 for and against. Hard for me to decide even after reading all the posts but it's on for now.

Chad
Old 07-04-2006, 10:37 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad T
... Seems to almost always come down to about 50/50 for and against...
Really? I thought this issue was settled a long time ago. All gurus and those of us that follow them agree that the tray must come off, particularly if you drive your car in a warm climate.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:05 AM
9Nine3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody tried drilling holes on the Engine Undertray?? (Like Motorsound Airbox ) Do you think it's a good idea? When you think about it ; if you could just drill some holes under the places where the most heat generates... You could get both cooler running engines and good aerodynamics.
Currently, I'm running without one.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:33 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 07-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 9Nine3
Has anybody tried drilling holes on the Engine Undertray?? (Like Motorsound Airbox ) Do you think it's a good idea? When you think about it ; if you could just drill some holes under the places where the most heat generates... You could get both cooler running engines and good aerodynamics.
Currently, I'm running without one.
Good idea! Studies done deep inside Bavaria have found that the best size for the hole matches the outside demensions of the tray exactly!
Old 07-05-2006, 12:17 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Good idea! Studies done deep inside Bavaria have found that the best size for the hole matches the outside demensions of the tray exactly!
Now that is the funnist thing I've read on RL in a long time!

A recent thread on this topic suggested that the aerodynamic benefits will likely only be felt at or near top speed. Not many of us spend much time a warp speed so reducing heat is a greater concern. If a person plans on extended 170+mph runs, then there are a few other mods that should come before putting the engine tray back on, like a helmet, full roll cage and harness, etc. Even then, there are few places on the planet where you could sustain that speed long enough to enjoy the aerodynamic benefit.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:12 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher
there are few places on the planet where you could sustain that speed long enough to enjoy the aerodynamic benefit.
I can think of a few:
1) Some covert highway in FL where there is no entry or exits.
2) NV open road challenge
3) Chernobyl region
4) Boulevard Peripherique around Paris at 2 am.
5 Highway to Las Vegas from LA.

Any I miss?
Old 07-05-2006, 01:27 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 9Nine3
Has anybody tried drilling holes on the Engine Undertray?? ...
The holes should be drilled directly under the oil leaks.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:04 PM
9Nine3
Advanced

OK OK....I admit it was a stupid idea.

If I were to drill my engine tray, the only place I would've left undrilled is under the oil leak so that I'll get all the benefits : Aerodynamic, Cooler engine, Cleaner Garage Floor.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:45 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Hahahahahahahaha this was a great tray thread.....better than most tray threads which just go round the same arguments......just for the record mine is off for the summer and there is a noteworthy drop in temp, but it will go back on in the winter as my car is a daily driver........

Bull......how could YOU ever come up with an excuse to make a car go faster.......and you and verified WFMR keep going slow freak??? But I did love your comment about making the holes about the exact same dimensions as the tray.....hahahahaha
Old 07-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

I have a 110k mile modified 993 C4 that has always had the undertray on, never had any issues with the engine, the car is driven in Saudi Arabia at 110F 10 months out of 12, and I track her at least once a month, I don't have a secondary oil cooler.

I am going to remove my tray after all I have read about valve guide wear etc.. Thanks
Old 07-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dhicks
Hahahahahahahaha this was a great tray thread.....better than most tray threads which just go round the same arguments......just for the record mine is off for the summer and there is a noteworthy drop in temp, but it will go back on in the winter as my car is a daily driver........

Bull......how could YOU ever come up with an excuse to make a car go faster.......and you and verified WFMR keep going slow freak??? But I did love your comment about making the holes about the exact same dimensions as the tray.....hahahahaha
You must look more closely.....I was attempting to make others' cars faster, thereby protecting myself and other HWFM Racing member's from any embarrasing moments!
Old 07-05-2006, 03:52 PM
hawk993
Racer

ok ok...since lowering my car with the PSS9, having no tray on allows one to lift the car via a floor jack under the engine, which the mechanics love

other than that...

The engine tray was put on by Porsche to see how long we will debate this BS...and for numb nuts in FL to drive @ 170mph over gators...LOL
Old 07-05-2006, 04:13 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

The tray should stay off for the lazybones on the board. As for Jean, why would you take it off now? Your post is reason enough to leave it on.

Quick Reply: 993 Engine undertray