Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Looking to buy an 01 740i sport. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Looking to buy an 01 740i sport. Advice?

My Wife really want an E38 sport (actually, I added the sport version as a must have). I know lots of you guys have this car. I troll roadfly.com, pelican board, and E38.org so have basic information on the weak spots, what to look for etc. Any real life experience with this car would be helpful. Seems like the suspension is weak point on this car. I'm thinking $26k to $30k for a 2001 with 50k miles is about right. Edited: just saw a bunch of them on Ebay for $23k or so - in Wisconsin of all places.

I'm located in So. Cal. Any places I should check out for cars? Anyone purchase a car from Prestige Motors in San Diego? They always seem to have a few of these cars on their lot.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:11 PM
jlb_94611
Rennlist Member

About a year ago I bought an '01 Titanium Silver/grey 740i Sport with 60k from a San Diego fellow via craigslist. Single owner.. full bmw maintenance thru 100k and a Western General ext warranty 100k/2010. I just upgraded to the Dinan Stage 1 suspension package with a strut brace (strongstrut.com) and it drives like a brand new car. I love the thing. Yes she slurps petrol like crazy and you'll chew through rear tires.. but I'd still do it again. It gets a lot of attention on the road and is the last of the great styling before the Bangle era. If you're handy at all .. e38.org and bimmerboard will be a godsend.. if not .. get one with an ext warranty. Scott.. Scott 1996 993c2 .. will chime in and post his pics.. search on 740i and you should see his writeup from the past. Just.. do it! Find one from a caring owner!
Old 07-02-2006, 11:36 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Father of 3
My Wife really want an E38 sport (actually, I added the sport version as a must have). I know lots of you guys have this car. I troll roadfly.com, pelican board, and E38.org so have basic information on the weak spots, what to look for etc. Any real life experience with this car would be helpful. Seems like the suspension is weak point on this car. I'm thinking $26k to $30k for a 2001 with 50k miles is about right. Edited: just saw a bunch of them on Ebay for $23k or so - in Wisconsin of all places.

I'm located in So. Cal. Any places I should check out for cars? Anyone purchase a car from Prestige Motors in San Diego? They always seem to have a few of these cars on their lot.

Thanks in advance.
pm steve96c4s...he's got a couple..
Old 07-06-2006, 06:04 AM
TSimo
Track Day

Default 740I

I bought a 740iL last year & we love it! (keeps the wife out of the 993);my brother-in-law works for BMW-if you find one you like, send me the VIN & I can get you a service history?
Ideally, try to find:
1. CPO (certified pre-owned) which gives you a factory, extended warranty
2. a true "sport package" model; many used ones have cheap, look alike, "sport"18" wheels but not the sport pkg; if the car has any chrome-it's not a real sport pkg
3. look for the "large" Nav screen; early 2001 models had the smaller screen
Old 07-06-2006, 11:32 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I have a 2000 740i Sport and it is a great car. VERY heavy on maintenance once you hit around 75K miles. We have 109K on ours and so far in the past 6 months I have

1) Replaced the shocks with Bilstein HDs
2) Replaced the O2 sensors
3) Replaced the radiator, expansion tank and water pump
4) Replaced MAF
5) Replaced PCV setup on the back of the intake
6) Replaced 3 window regulators
7) Replaced one locking door motor
8) Replaced coolant / heating valve (controls heat into the car)
9) Replaced water cooled alternator
10) Replaced strut arms

All of these are common wearing parts on a 740i. Just be prepared. Now I am waiting for the intake gaskets to start leaking. At that time I will replace the leaking valve cover gaskets and the power steering hoses (already replaced the mounting brackets that break).

Oh, and the cupholder will also break. Other than this, it is a great car..
Old 07-06-2006, 12:39 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Cooling systems [radiator, water pump, expansion tank] are the most problematic parts on newer 8-Cyl Bimmers based on the information that I have read. Good boards to check around on are www.bimmer.info, www.bimmerforums.com, and the aforementioned bimmerboard.com.

The cars require money to maintain, so just be prepared for that. All that said, they are fantastic and I have several co-workers who love theirs [and I enjoy driving and even riding in the back of them--the back seat is pure luxury]. I don't own one, [I have an e34 M5], but am just passing along what I have read and experienced myself with the cars. As you mentioned, Sport package is a must on these things for your own sake!
Old 07-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

DIY Pics???

I've also heard that the cats go on these cars and that those aren't cheap to replace either. I have a 325i and they have radiator, water pump issues as well (I had to replace both). Anyone in the market for a 1994 325i beater?

Originally Posted by viperbob
I have a 2000 740i Sport and it is a great car. VERY heavy on maintenance once you hit around 75K miles. We have 109K on ours and so far in the past 6 months I have

4) Replaced MAF
10) Replaced strut arms

All of these are common wearing parts on a 740i. Just be prepared. Now I am waiting for the intake gaskets to start leaking. At that time I will replace the leaking valve cover gaskets and the power steering hoses (already replaced the mounting brackets that break).

Old 07-06-2006, 05:18 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by viperbob

4) Replaced MAF
10) Replaced strut arms

VB nailed it. They don't make BMWs like they used to. I shyed away from purchasing a 540i (bought a 530i instead) due to the problematic V8s in these cars. Internally they are robust, but ancillary stuff (cats, intake leaks, etc etc) are very common "wear" items and are really expensive (especially the alternators and cats) to fix.

BMW is also "cute" with their maintenance (or lack thereof) schedules. They say their cars are filled with lifetime fluid. Yeah right, for the life of the trans. Typically, their transmissions fail at 80K miles without a fluid change. First thing I did when I bought my 530i at 42K miles is change the fluid.

Cheers,
Old 07-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmarch
VB nailed it. They don't make BMWs like they used to. I shyed away from purchasing a 540i (bought a 530i instead) due to the problematic V8s in these cars. Internally they are robust, but ancillary stuff (cats, intake leaks, etc etc) are very common "wear" items and are really expensive (especially the alternators and cats) to fix.

BMW is also "cute" with their maintenance (or lack thereof) schedules. They say their cars are filled with lifetime fluid. Yeah right, for the life of the trans. Typically, their transmissions fail at 80K miles without a fluid change. First thing I did when I bought my 530i at 42K miles is change the fluid.

Cheers,
I wouldn't rest too easily witn the inline 6. My 325i, albeit a 1994, had the same radiator/water pump issue that the E38's seem to have.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:15 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Father of 3
I wouldn't rest too easily witn the inline 6. My 325i, albeit a 1994, had the same radiator/water pump issue that the E38's seem to have.
Agree to a certain extent. The cooling system (and engine) of my 3.0 is completely different than the 2.5 in your car. The early cars came with plastic impeller water pumps which destructed really quickly. The new water pumps are better. The radiators on all new BMWs (V8s included) suffer from plastic breakage over time.

At any rate, neither is made like my old E30 325is. However, cooling systems aside, the 6 cyl is MUCH more reliable than the V8s. They don't typically suffer from intake leaks, cat problems, electronic glitches, etc, etc, etc

Believe me, I really wanted the V8.......
Old 07-06-2006, 06:26 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Here is a good site with LOTS of links for DIY stuff - http://e38.org/

Most of the other boards for these cars are worthless. not 1/10th of the content we have here. Most people do not have a clue what is going on. I have tried to ask some questions after doing extensive searching and generally found no answers to my questions. Just had an issue with a throttle body that seemed to be a TPS, but these cars no longer have an external one. It took some doing to figure that a reset on the TB was needed.

Cats for these OBD2 cars will be on the aftermarket in a couple of months. I thought that I might have had a cat issue myself so I checked into it with my distributors. So the days of the $1400 cats will be over. You will be able to get legal $3-400 units..
Old 07-06-2006, 06:42 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I've found e38.org already, thanks. Are cats easy to change?

Have any of you guys looked into an extended warranty?
Old 07-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

[QUOTE=viperbob] Most of the other boards for these cars are worthless. not 1/10th of the content we have here. Most people do not have a clue what is going on. I have tried to ask some questions after doing extensive searching and generally found no answers to my questions. QUOTE]

I disagree with that. http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/e38/ is a huge resource for me! I hate disagreeing with Viper Bob as he is a guru here, but my experience is a bit different. No worries.

Just buy that 740i Sport! You will LOVE it. I had one for 5 years, a 95, then got a 2001 740i S, lost it in a flood, and looked at tons of other cars, but bought the same car again. It will be our "last" car! I hate the new ones. Ahhhh, the 01 740i Sport - one of my favorite topics.

PM me if you have any questions.

Steve R
Old 07-07-2006, 11:29 AM
chris322
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve:

I love your choice in vehicles. The E38 740i Sport is one of the best looking and performing large sedans. I was luck enough to drive one and what a great car. Since we are building a new house, I opted for an 03 530i, which is a great daily driver. I plan on keeping the car for quite a while. Much like yourself, none of the newer models from BMW, MB or Lexus really get me that excited once you factor in the price.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:49 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Steve--I can't believe Maryland has BOTH PCA and BMWCCA official State tags!!!!

Do you have any links to your local chapters that I could refer mine to? I really really think that would be a great thing to have for us 'Peachstate' folks. I remember a while back that you mentioned your C4S had the PCA tag on it and I thought it was great...

Quick Reply: OT: Looking to buy an 01 740i sport. Advice?