Sponsored by:

993 Sunroof Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 03:24 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Sunroof Problems

I tried opening the sunroof the other day and all I heard was a grinding noise without the roof actually opening. Seems like the gear/chain not catching? I noticed a zipper on the ceiling that covers an access panel. I understood there is a crank in there to manually open/close the roof. I have not opened the access panel yet, and wanted to get some advice before doing anything foolish. Anyone have any experience with fixing sunroofs? Pelican parts did not have any information. Thank you
Old 06-28-2006, 05:53 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this fix in my SC, just not sure how applicable it would be for the 993. If you unzip the ceiling, you should be able to see the sun roof motor. at the business end of the motor you should see a toothed gear in-between two silver cables. In my SC, the gear fit into groves in the cables which are attached to both sides of the sun roof and simultaneously retrack both sides. It sounds like the toothed gear isn't playing well with the cables.

again, this was how the SC was set up...not sure if its the same for the 993, but unzip and take a look..no harm no foul so far
Old 06-28-2006, 07:49 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

tj - My sunroof also got stuck in the open position. I opened up the zipper on the headliner and forcefully removed the foam backed access panel to allow me to access the alloy triangular motor/gearbox. Just for the heck of it I gently pulled/pushed on the sunroof and then retried the switch - it worked and I was able to close the sunroof but I did hear some grinding sounds along the way. I am leaving the sunroof closed until I can really figure out what is really broken. The manual tells us to use the special tool/crank that comes in the cars tool kit to crank the sunroof closed after loosening an access screw. On my car, its impossible to insert the special tool/crank into the access screw hole. I removed the screw but the threaded hole does not allow the special tool/crank to be inserted and turned to close the sunroof. If anyone has a picture of what this situation looks like, that would be very helpful.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Chris L
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

The mechanism is basically the same as earlier cars. Here's a good article:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...oof_repair.htm

Chris.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:34 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Thank you all for the input. This is an amazing Forum. I know what I am doing this long weekend.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:31 PM
sjsfiji
Advanced

Default panel removal

All,

I tried removing the panels to access the sunroof motor but the screws that hold the panels in place do not retract when turned CCW. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance...

sjsfiji
Old 06-14-2015, 04:51 PM
bruce7
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 993 Sunroof Problems

This thread has related info that might help:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...of-rattle.html
Old 06-14-2015, 05:46 PM
sjsfiji
Advanced