Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retractable Spoiler Rubbing Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006 | 10:35 AM
Brent Spinks
Instructor

Default Retractable Spoiler Rubbing Issue

My retractable rear spoiler is making contact and rubbing the paint off of the passenger side corner of the depressed area of the decklid where it rests in the down position. It is only making contact on one corner and not the other.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is there a way to adjust the travel of the spoiler to prevent this?
Old 06-27-2006 | 11:02 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

you may be missing the little rubber piece on the passenger side that the spoiler rests on. sorry i don't know the part # but i know that it is common for them to fall off. It Looks like a little rubber nipple.
Old 06-27-2006 | 11:13 AM
whidbey
Instructor

you may be missing the little rubber piece on the passenger side that the spoiler rests on. sorry i don't know the part # but i know that it is common for them to fall off. It Looks like a little rubber nipple.
part # for protection cap 999 703 449 40
Old 06-27-2006 | 11:17 AM
Brent Spinks
Instructor

I have six of those, three on each side. Am I only supposed to have the bottom two?
Old 06-27-2006 | 11:25 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

PET says you should have 6 of those.

Marc
Old 06-27-2006 | 12:07 PM
Brent Spinks
Instructor

Okay, so the nipples must not be the problem. Is there any way to adjust the travel on the spoiler?
Old 06-27-2006 | 01:46 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

I'm not sure if I have the nipples, but I did have the problem. My mechanic at Porsche glued a small peice of black felt on the engine lid where the spoiler was making contact. That seems to have worked.
Old 06-27-2006 | 02:06 PM
Doc V.
Racer

The solution to the problem that you have described, Brent, is to adjust the spoiler's position relative to the rear deck lid by removing a liner.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ler+adjustment
Old 06-27-2006 | 03:15 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

My passenger side corner paint is rubbed to the primer, I changed all rubbers three months ago but still, I will defenitely try to adjust the shims. Thanks

'97 Carrera S 100% original
Old 06-30-2006 | 12:47 AM
Porscheologist
Racer

There are several reasons why your spoiler may rub. One is the mentioned stoppers. One is the tail is too low or to far forward/aft. I had to pull two shims out in order to adjust the height of my tail. Once you loosen the bolts that hold the tail shims in place you can slightly move the tail forward or aft and then tighten the bolts. I centered the tail and then held it in place with soft wooden spacers. After I tightened the tail I removed the spacers. My spoiler is pefectly centered now does not rub and works great!!! Oh you can also control the travel of the spoiler by adjusting the stopper screw. You can play with this and really fine tune the spoilers position.
Old 06-30-2006 | 03:55 AM
24FPS
Drifting

fwiw: i was informed that the nipples were not needed... (o.k. i'll admit it, the stealer told me such). was told porsche service was taking them off b/c the nibs were working their way loose & dropping into the engine bay.................... i just never replaced mine, though the stealer did say they'd put them on for free if i wanted them. -----> wonder if they were planning on charging me the min. 1/2 hour labor on that?
Old 06-30-2006 | 05:15 AM
Gbag
Intermediate

Funny, my car has this exact problem in the same corner. I noticed it while doing a split grill mod. Also noticed the spoiler dam was toast.

My buddy and I worked on it for a while and we tweaked the microswitches which control when the spoiler motor turns off. I don't want to get you into a can of worms, so I would wait for someone else to weigh in and confirm before messing with these. The Theory was that the switches (located on driver side) were allowing the motor to crank the spoiler down too hard. Adjusting them to shut off a bit earlier may prevent abrasion-causing "crank down" Easily adjusted by small adjuster screws on microswitches.

Don't know if this will stop rubbing, but the spoiler motor now turns off earlier. Anyone had any luck with this route?

G
Old 06-30-2006 | 12:23 PM
jhale
Pro

I think the most simple solution is to upgrade to a fixed tail... maybe RS, Turbo, TurboS.

Quick Reply: Retractable Spoiler Rubbing Issue