Base Cayman or SLK?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 06:04 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Base Cayman or SLK?

Hi Folks,

I know we on this forum have little alligence to either car, that is why I am asking your opinion here. I also know the standard answer is drive both and see what is dear to my heart. Wish life is as simple as that.

Here's my take:
Cayman: 245 HP, 5 speed $49k MSRP. brilliant handler, adequate power, decent storage/trunk space, 16.9 gallon tank.

SLK 280: 225 HP, 6 speed $42k MSRP, can be had today at less than $40k. decent handler, adequate power, poor trunk space, killer hard-top, 19.8 gallon tank.

Since this is my daily driver, and I still have my RUF and a bevy of haulers in the garage, I can live with either one easily. Basically, I will be trading the cornering prowess and road feel of the Cayman for the killer-hard top and $10k less with the SLK 280.

A week ago, I was dead set on buying the Cayman. Now I see the SLK with a 20% chance. I will test drive a SLK 350 and a SLK 280 today (both are 6 speeds) and will report back.

What do you folks think? Thanks for your enlightenment.

CP
Old 06-26-2006, 06:12 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pong, aren't you concerned with the quality/reliability of MB? Maybe they've turned it around, but when I was in the market last year I was reading about a lot of quality issues, esp. electrical.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:20 PM
CP
Race Director

Dan,

The answer is yes I am concerned, VERY concerned. After my M5 'education' I'm painfully aware of the electronics bugaboos in both the BMW and MB.

That is why I am only 20% inclined to buy. But that darn electric hard-top is such a neat trick.....

Were you looking for a SLK last year? What did you end up buying?

CP

Last edited by CP; 06-27-2006 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:22 PM
atomic80
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Pong,

I guess the question that you really have to ask yourself here is whether you're in the market for a driver's car or a boulevard cruiser? Porsche and MB both caters to different market needs. I've never driven the newer SLK but I have driven the older one. I wasn't impressed and I have a feeling that I won't be impressed by the newer style either.

Are you now considering the standard Cayman as opposed to the S version too?

Jason
Old 06-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The interior space is more cramped for me in an SLK, although the Cayman isn't spacious.

My wife refuses to replace her '94 Benz (and it only has 70k miles on it) until the quality turnaround at MB is proven over a perieod of time and models. I was in a Doc's office a few months ago, and he had the consumer Reports '06 Buying Guide laying out for perusal. While well aware of the recent woes at MB, I was still amazed to see that FOUR of the "10 Worst" rated by CR were MB models! IIRC, none of the four was the SLK though.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:30 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Pong,

If you like the idea of "top-down" motoring, you should really consider the Boxster or the Boxter S. Both are better values than the equiv Cayman, though somehow not as appealing... too common? Too many "Chickster" references? But don't listen to me... my idea of an everyday commuter car is the Scion xA.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:34 PM
CP
Race Director

Jason,

As a daily driver, the car ends up being on the boulavard most of the time anyways. I ordered an SLK 230, did not buy it, ordered an SLK 320, dropped that as well, as both drove like pigs and the shifter was a joke. Now they have rack and pinion steering and a much better gear box, I'm giving them another chance.

I am definitely considering a base Cayman. My daily driver is just basic transportation to me. While it is fun to drive a Cayman, a Miata, or cars of such ilk on a daily basis, I don't want to spend HUGE $$$$ on my daily driver. The base Cayman is easily $8k less than the S afterall. It's not as much affordability, but that I'm a cheap skate by nature. If anything will keep me from the base Cayman, it is the 5-speed manual unless I spring for the PASM. That may nudge me over to the Cayman S. I will drive the base and the S back-to-back to decide.

I won't buy till 2007 as I just bought the RX330 in 2005. I have time to think hard about what to do.

CP
Old 06-26-2006, 06:38 PM
CP
Race Director

Steve,

I do not like soft tops. That's why the Boxster was never in the running. If I can stand soft tops, I'd buy a Miata before the Boxster.

We will go to Monterey/Carmel very often from now on. The thought of an electric hard top convertible seems very appealing crawling along the 17 miles drive.

CP
Old 06-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Pong,
We were looking at used coupes in the mid-30s, incl. CLK430, and ended up buying what I originally wanted: the 993. For that price range, there really is no substitute.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:55 PM
LuftKopf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After my last experience, I'm very down on Mercedes.

Go with the Cayman. So much cooler.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:17 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe a 993 targa? it is convertible without a soft top.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:04 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I don't understand the question...

Why get a 2 seater for a daily driver? Furthermore, why pay top dollar for a badge-engineered, quality-compromised quasi-sportscar? Why not spend 1/3 the money for a japanese sedan, or a mid-80s S-Class, or a low mile 540i, etc? All will be higher quality and offer more utility as a daily driver! I just don't see the point in owning either the SLK or Cayman when you have a RUF in the garage... in what circumstance would you ever say to yourself "I feel like a fast drive down my favorite mountain roads, I think I'll take the Cayman." yeah, right.

jmho
Old 06-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, I have been down the road that pcar964 suggests you avoid at least once in the past. That is, own the car I really like to "drive", then buy something close (supposedly) as a second/third car "to use more regularly". As I found out, the choice to use it never really happened all that often because "close" isn't good enough for me. The only time i did something similar has been when the car I love to drive became a 98% track car and not really practical for the street (but still legal).

Might a different platform be a better answer?
Old 06-26-2006, 08:38 PM
CP
Race Director

Greg,

That is a good question. Here's my take on the situation. As I am 56, with a Highlander, a RX330, and an Odyssey at my disposal, I do not need a sedan for everyday use. My job does not require me to drive clients around, so space is not the issue. So I'm thinking I would like a car that is fun to drive, small enough to park anywhere, relatively cheap so I don't go crazy with door dings and such. As I will drive it daily, I can at least have a little fun everytime I make it around a corner.

Ideally I'd drive a Miata. Unfortunately, it is too light and not 'safe' enough to convince my wife. Also, the 12 gallons tank is a real bummer. I know the RUF will be the ultimate fun car for early morning weekend runs, or BAR drives with our Rennlist buds, but I can't bear to drive the RUF everyday, especially I sometimes go to construction sites for my job. I'd be so paranoid if I park our RUF out somewhere. I'm kind of psychotic in this matter. I have no such reservations with either the Cayman or the SLK.

The fact that I have the RUF is why the Cayman or the SLK works as my daily driver. As you know, neither one of these cars is a top-notch all around machine. They are relatively tossable (the Cayman more so than the SLK), but that's about it. I will always fall back on the RUF for seriouse fun driving.

Hope this makes some sense to you guys.

CP

Last edited by CP; 06-27-2006 at 01:15 AM.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:50 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get the Cayman over the SLK, I had an SLK 320 that I purchased new, for a very short while, many problems, not much performance either.

Quick Reply: Base Cayman or SLK?