993 Forum 1995-1998

1995 Porsche 993 Horn problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 10:58 PM
samimi
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1995 Porsche 993 Horn problem

I posted this on the '911 site' only to be reminded that there is a specific 993 forum... sorry if this is a repeat to some of you....

My brother has a 1995 993 Cabriolet where a few days ago the horn started to honk whenever braking or driving over a bump.
After some research with a couple of dealers, he was told that there is a horn sensor in the steering wheel that seems to wear out as time goes by. Well, there is a 'New & Improved' replacement part, but with a little string attached: You need to change the steering wheel and airbag in order to use this part. Total cost: around $2.000.....

Has anyone had the same problem? Any good suggestions?
Is there an "improved" part to use with the original steering wheel?

An aftermarket steering wheel is one option but the interior color is classic gray and most steering wheels are black.

Would a 996 steering wheel work? Is it crazy to buy a 'used steering wheel with airbag'?

Just trying to look at all alternatives.... will appreciate any suggestions.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:46 PM
scat
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rarely use my horn.Saying that its nice to know that everything works on the car.
I would just go with a used steering wheel and go from there.
Or just get a bumper sticker"horn not working watch for finger".
Old 06-20-2006, 12:00 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Here....https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...eferrerid=8653
Old 06-20-2006, 11:17 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Kim's link spells it all out.

Also- I'm pretty sure the dealer lied to you. AFAIK, you wouldn't need a new steering wheel. Plus, I'd have to call him an a-hole for not pointing out that for a mere $1000 or so, you could upgrade the whole shebang to an awesome 3-spoke 996 steering wheel with airbag. What a jerk. Here's the wheel I'm referring to:
http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p96107.htm

Or buy a used wheel for less. No worries with buying a used wheel & airbag. And black would look fine in a classic gray car.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:44 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No telling how long before this issue reappears in your used wheel. My dealer was able to fix the problem for almost nothing, I think he canibalized pads off of another wheel. Its been over three years with no further problem.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my '95, mine actuates OK when stopped, but if I try using it while the wheel is moving, it won't "blow". Passes yearly inspection so far, so not mucking with this portion of the horn (you folks are scaring me, though!).

However, have to replace one horn tumpet; which one I don't know (horn sounds like a sick Renault or Citroen from the 50's-early 60's). Tried removing the RF fender liner in order to do some troubleshooting but couldn't get it out; after unscrewing all the mounting screws something still seemed to be holding it toward the lower inner portion of the liner; not the inner edge but somewhat more toward the center of the liner. Didn't have much time to really play with it; had to run off to an autocross. Will try again another weekend when I'm not pressed for time.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:49 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 236 Posts

Goddamn, this is the second time I'm having some sort of trouble with my car, I open the Rennlist 993 forum, and there the solution is, as a thread, on the first and front page!
Have our German Doctor Engineers build lifetime clocks into all parts in these cars making them fail at the same time?? I'm beginning to wonder...

First my AC started blowing only hot air, then my car started honking every time I brake.

I fixed my "nervous" horn behaviour with four rubber O-rings supporting my cracked frame grommets inside the steering wheel.
Easy job really. A torx30 tool and the lugnut tool from the toolkit in the trunk to open the four frame bolts. Place the rubber thingys, put all things back, and voila.

Regards
Tore Bergvill
Norway
Old 06-20-2006, 02:52 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad to see this diy still finding its way around the list. really regretting now more than ever I didn't take pix.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:52 PM
lowblow
Racer

My horn doesn't have the "sound at will" problem but when I use it with the stereo on I hear a distorted crackling horn sound through my speakers.

Anyone know how to stop that??

TIA
Mike
Old 06-20-2006, 06:32 PM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting. I just ordered the metal frame for my 95, and the dealer said it would fit fine, with no mods or updates to do.. We will see on Thursday.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:35 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rattlsnak
Interesting. I just ordered the metal frame for my 95, and the dealer said it would fit fine, with no mods or updates to do.. We will see on Thursday.
Everything that I've heard says that your dealer is wrong. They changed the frame in 1996 and you can't buy the 1995 frame anymore. Sorry.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Been there, done that. Director of Parts and Mods has you covered.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:38 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ToreB
Goddamn, this is the second time I'm having some sort of trouble with my car, I open the Rennlist 993 forum, and there the solution is, as a thread, on the first and front page!
Have our German Doctor Engineers build lifetime clocks into all parts in these cars making them fail at the same time?? I'm beginning to wonder...

First my AC started blowing only hot air, then my car started honking every time I brake.

I fixed my "nervous" horn behaviour with four rubber O-rings supporting my cracked frame grommets inside the steering wheel.
Easy job really. A torx30 tool and the lugnut tool from the toolkit in the trunk to open the four frame bolts. Place the rubber thingys, put all things back, and voila.

Regards
Tore Bergvill
Norway
How did you replace the rubber supports? Do you mean you replaced the entire metal frame, or that you stole the rubber grommets from a new frame and pressed them into your existing frame?
Old 06-20-2006, 06:42 PM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw the way you had done it, basically just slipped rubber hose pieces into where the deterioted ones were. Going by what everybody said here, it looks like Ill be taking my new frame back!
Old 06-20-2006, 08:21 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Calvo
...However, have to replace one horn tumpet...
Wish mine would fail so I could replace them with Gert's euro trumpets. The stock horn is pathetic.

Quick Reply: 1995 Porsche 993 Horn problem