Sponsored by:

Key stuck in ignition!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 10:24 PM
Alan993S
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Key stuck in ignition!!

Arrived at work this morning and after parking my car, turning off the ignition, could not remove the key. It seems to be stuck one turn from the end. Have tried to wriggle it from side to side and twist it, but no luck . The ignition otherwise opertates normally i.e. I can turn the car on without problem - just cant get the key rotated back to that last position for removal. Fortunately I have a switchblade on the key so cannot in anyway use force (which im tempted to do... )

There is practically zero security risk here at work so am able to leave the car with the key in the ignition (cant help checking out the window every five seconds though). Have left it as is to give it some thought.

Will try a gentle wriggle later. Figure if I cant get it out I can remove the switchblade and still use the remote to lock the car.

Is there anything tricky going on with the ignition that I would need to be aware of - or is it just a matter lubrication? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:33 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it an automatic? Anything to do with either that or a steering lock?
Old 06-14-2006, 10:37 PM
Gweedo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a WAG... Is the steering wheel straight? Or are the wheels turned? Perhaps, if the wheel is turned, it is preventing the key from coming out because of the column lock mechanism. I assume these cars have column locks, I can't say I've noticed one on my car
Old 06-14-2006, 10:43 PM
95cab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you jiggle the steering wheel around - that's happened to me and it just takes a few good pulls one way or the other on the wheel to free it up.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Alan993S
Rennlist Member

Went down and tried again....and now the car would not start as i could not deactivate the immobilser. I jiggled the steering and the key ...then checked the gear (thanks Chris and others) .. its an automatic and the shifter had not fully engaged park.... almost but not fully clicked in ... i pushed it forward and key came out...whew. (its a slow process but im learning... )

thanks again
Old 06-14-2006, 11:28 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yep, usually the case. Glad it all worked out. Now just let the battery recharge/rest on its own (leaving the key in that position keeps everything "hot" and drains the battery......ask me how I know
Old 06-15-2006, 01:30 AM
Steve Nagata
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing happened to me.... push the car back and fourth (Rocking it back and fouth)
jiggle the key and move the tippy gear shifter up to fully engage the park.

Happened to me 3 times..... got the dear to adjust the shifter (bowden <-sp?) cable.

Let me know if it works
Old 06-15-2006, 02:01 AM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan993S
.. its an automatic and the shifter had not fully engaged park.... :
You should have bought a 6 speed...................ZP44
Old 06-15-2006, 05:30 AM
Alan993S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
You should have bought a 6 speed.......
would love one, but a manual C2S in this neck of the woods, is about as rare as England winning the world cup ....
Old 06-15-2006, 06:25 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

would love one, but a manual C2S in this neck of the woods, is about as rare as England winning the world cup ....
Only 321 Porsche 993 Carrera S tiptronic were built worldwide, and since February 2006 according to the German blue book, the carrera S is expertised (worth) more than the carrera 4S, lest in tiptronic version. If you try tiptronic driving( never on D position but + and - controls), you would conclude that its far more pleasant than manual shifting in a Porsche, not to mention shifting faster. I would never go back to manual, everyone has his point of view, off course all arguments provided you don't take it to the track.

Now you know your version is worth more, what do you think?

'97 Carrera S 100% original
Old 06-15-2006, 08:47 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

321 cars worldwide, including the US?

If so, I am luckier than I thought to have found my particular car.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:50 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 243 Posts

Well hope you're right about todays game......
Old 06-15-2006, 02:17 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
If you try tiptronic driving( never on D position but + and - controls), you would conclude that its far more pleasant than manual shifting in a Porsche, not to mention shifting faster.
I have never experienced the pleasent experience you are talking about and I have driven lots of 993 tip's.
I find them to be somewhat clunky and slow when pushing the outside of the envelope on a really twisty mountain road or auto-x track and they never seem to be in the right gear for the turn like a 6 speed does.

As you said "everyone has his point of view" and this one is mine.

ZP44

Quick Reply: Key stuck in ignition!!