Squeaky, sticky clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 05:34 PM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky, sticky clutch

Damn! I just finished replacing my clutch slave cylinder, not too bad of a job, and the stinkin' pedal is still sticky and squeaky. The noise is coming from the pedal area, or maybe right underneath. Hard to tell. I'm going to look under as see if anything looks funny. I've lubed the master cylinder plunger with lithium grease, so that's not it.

Something is causing it to stick, any ideas??
Old 06-13-2006, 06:09 PM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

All I see underneath is shift linkage stuff but that's not the problem. It shifts very smooth, so I'm open to ideas. Master cylinder??
Old 06-14-2006, 02:56 AM
rdurff
Advanced

Hi Jim,

I experience a similar squeakiness in my clutch. I had my mechanic check it out (reputable air-cooled-only shop in Seattle) and his analysis was that it was the nylon bushings making a bit of noise in the pedal cluster. The pedal travel in my car is smooth and springs back appropriately, so the mechanic didn't have reason to suspect anything else. I live with the squeak and think of it as part of the car's personality. I wonder if you're experiencing the same thing?

Cheers,
-Robert
Old 06-14-2006, 09:17 AM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

Robert,
Thanks for your reply. It sounds similar but does your pedal also stick? If I move the pedel fairly quickly, it's just fine. And that works for every shift but first gear. When I move the pedal slower, it sticks and releases, sticks and releases... It's a challenge to get the car moving without stalling it.
I've ordered the kinematic lever as that appears to be the next thing the check.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:07 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Jim,
As we discussed over PMs, the sensation you describe is exactly what I had before replacing the slave & hose. Smooth as butter now.

I've never found an answer that describes how the new kinematic lever differs from the old. My guess is that the pivot point was changed slightly?

Since you are still experiencing a 'dragging' or 'grabbing' sensation, my guess would be the master cylinder, since it also has seals that might react to a fluid change. I could see the revised lever changing the effort of the pedal travel, but not the binding sensation.

Andreas
Old 06-14-2006, 01:08 PM
rdurff
Advanced

Hi Jim,

Just to answer your direct question: No, the pedal doesn't stick at all. I think if it were sticking I would have a closer look; that's probably not due to the bushings unless one is completely disintegrated. Sorry I'm not more help!

-Robert
Old 06-14-2006, 07:22 PM
Bob - 95 993/C2
Instructor

Jim;

I had the same problem and after removing the foot well rug and wood panel, I lubed up everything pretty well and that solved the problem for a few months. Then I had the system purged and bled real well and that solved the problem for a few months. If I recall correctly, there used to be something on it on Robin's 993 site some years ago but I have not looked lately.

Anymore, it's just part of my shifting to stick my foot under the pedal and ensure it's all the way up after a shifting sequence. Sometimes it already is, sometimes not.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:54 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't have a solution but I'm having a similar problem and anxiously await the verdict here.

The pedal on mine never gets hung up where it won't release all the way out but I do feel some sort of resistance like something isn't properly lubricated. This is not the case every time. Father of 3 said he thought the root problem may lie within the transmission / clutch assembly.

All I know is it just doesn't feel smooth every time. Curious what exactly the updated part(s) for pivot points etc that people keep referring to here?
Old 06-14-2006, 09:47 PM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

I removed the master cylinder today in expectation of a new one tomorrow. A fairly easy job to get it, along with the pedal cluster, out. Upon inspection, it's completely and entirely shot! I'll have to get a picture of it. The piston motion is...hard to describe. It's just crap. I'm very optimistic about solving my problem. I'll let you all tomorrow.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:59 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Jim,
That's very encouraging - I look forward to the pics.

Andreas
Old 06-14-2006, 10:36 PM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

Attached are two pictures. The plunger feels just like the stick and release, stick and release that I was feeling. It takes a lot of effort to get it to move and then just jerks all the way to the other end. Impossible to control it. All the goop is the lithium grease I used to try and smooth it out.
Attached Images   
Old 06-14-2006, 10:42 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jim,
How many miles on the car? Can I expect to find the same at 70K?
Old 06-14-2006, 10:45 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Jim,
Will you use a small hose clamp for the supply line, or a factory crimped-clamp? I guess a hose clamp may work, as the line is not under pressure (unless you are pressure bleeding the system...)

Andreas
Old 06-14-2006, 10:51 PM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've now got just over 61K. This all started after going through my 60K service and bleeding the clutch. At least I've got a new master and slave now and should be good for another 60K.

Andreas,
I removed the factory clamp without damage, I believe. So I'll try to re-use that. If not, I'll have to go with a hose clamp. I do plan on using my Motive bleeder to bleed the system after completion.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:35 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by jnnking
This all started after going through my 60K service and bleeding the clutch.
When you were bleeding the slave cylinder did you operate the clutch pedal at all?

Quick Reply: Squeaky, sticky clutch