Squeaky, sticky clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 01:28 AM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
When you were bleeding the slave cylinder did you operate the clutch pedal at all?
No, not while bleeding. At the suggestion of Robin? (quoting from the manual, IIRC), I did try bleeding it with the pedal depressed. I ended up with the same result.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:28 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by rdurff
I had my mechanic check it out (reputable air-cooled-only shop in Seattle) and his analysis was that it was the nylon bushings making a bit of noise in the pedal cluster
The bushings are Teflon and if squeaking the "bearing and sliding surfaces" can be lubricated with a Teflon-compatible low temperature grease such as Glissandro from Texaco.

Originally Posted by jnnking
I did try bleeding it with the pedal depressed.
That comes from the 996 manual but one of the warnings in the 993 manual (but in relation to bleeding the brake master cylinder and not the clutch so I'm not sure if it really applies) is to only use half the cylinder stroke on older or high mileage vehicles or you damage the cylinder. Which is something that has been reported here a few times. The other warnings are don't lubricate the clutch master or slave cylinder plunger and when you replace the master cylinder to set the clutch pedal travel to 150 +- 5mm.

good luck!
Old 06-16-2006, 09:34 PM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can't buy a break. I was supposed to have a new master here Thursday. Pelican shipped it Ground instead of Next Day. So I called and ask them to ship one for Next Day AM, Friday morning. They ship it standard Next Day and it gets here friday afternoon (today). I install it and get the pedal cluster re-installed. The clutch was depressed in order to attach the cylinder. When I pull the pedal forward, the return spring snaps in three places!! I didn't pull hard, so I'm confused as to why it would have broken.
After an afternoon of phone calls, I can not find a spring anywhere in North America. It looks like I'll be missing my DE on Wednesday as I wait for one from Germany.
If any one has a lead on the part, 964-423-551-02, I'm in need

Last edited by jnnking; 06-16-2006 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:41 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Jim,

If you get into a bind, I have a brand new clutch master at home. I arrive home Sunday night, I can ship it out to you Monday. Let me know..
Old 06-17-2006, 10:58 AM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris,
Thank you for the offer. That's what I love about this place. What I need is the clutch return spring. The master I have is good and have the first one that was shipped ground arriving on Tuesday.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:06 PM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's been too long without my ride. I ended up getting the spring from DC Auto. It's the only place in North America I could find on. Thanks for the help guys!!

It arrived about 90 minutes ago. I finished installing it, bleed the system and I've got a nice, smooth clutch again. And I can drive my car.

What a headache the whole process was. But now I've got all my components and I've learned much from the process.

Back in a few hours, I've got some roads that missed me....

Quick Reply: Squeaky, sticky clutch