Sponsored by:

New - 993 Convertible Top Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 11:19 PM
bobbigham
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New - 993 Convertible Top Question

I recently purchased a 97 993 white with gray interior, gray top. The body and mechanicals are great, however the top is a bit discolored / faded and has a few tiny tears and wear areas. I want to change it for a new black top and boot.
I have been quoted about $1950 by a local top/ upholstrey operation with headliner (but not the boot) to have the top replaced. Is this high. The german material top with headliner can be had for $1000 plus $850 for installation.

I live in Atlanta and would welcome any thoughts, recommendations or suggestions.

Does anyone know who in Atlanta does this type of work?
Old 06-11-2006, 11:56 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In L.A. you can get a new top installed for $1,000. Why replace the headliner unless it was abused from not using the boot cover. The boot cover is a different story, really expensive. If you have the gray boot cover, I would stay with that as it will look better with your interior when the top is down. If you don't have it, go back to the P.O. and ask for it.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:04 AM
shattergard
Racer

Hi,

I live in Atlanta as well. (Buckhead) I would contact :

Mad Stitchers Upholstery Shop
(770) 455-7505
4945 Peachtree Rd
Chamblee, GA 30341

I just purchased a 1997 993 cab triple black.

Good luck

Jordan
Old 06-12-2006, 12:15 AM
bobbigham
Pro

Thanks for the info, I will give them a call.

I have the boot which is in great shape...but I am hung up on the black and white contrast and really have to deal with it (yup..$500 unnecessary dollars)..yeah it looks good with the grey interior, but I GOTTA HAVE the black top and boot! I may be able to reuse the headline, I'll do a closer inspection.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:29 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbigham
Thanks for the info, I will give them a call.

I have the boot which is in great shape...but I am hung up on the black and white contrast and really have to deal with it (yup..$500 unnecessary dollars)..yeah it looks good with the grey interior, but I GOTTA HAVE the black top and boot! I may be able to reuse the headline, I'll do a closer inspection.
You may want to dye your gray boot to black instead of buying a new one. Unless you can find pre-owned one someplace. This is one canvas dye. I am suspect boat shops have other products, or can do for you. http://www.carcareonline.com/detail....oduct_id=10310

Just make sure if you do dye it it is stretched to dye on the car. As if let wet off the car, the canvas may shrink a bit.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:45 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

White car, grey interior, black top boot? Try it first before you buy or dye is my suggestion. I think white, grey, grey is a nice fresh combo but who cares what I think.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:34 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher
White car, grey interior, black top boot? Try it first before you buy or dye is my suggestion. I think white, grey, grey is a nice fresh combo but who cares what I think.
I agree, great idea. No one will know it is a black top when boot is on.

Quick Reply: New - 993 Convertible Top Question