Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Won Ebay car - what to do next!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 11:42 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like a lot of work to buy a car. Based on all the threads, I would add another $4k on for time and effort based on the amount of time put into this purchase. I have put less effort into purchasing a home.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:05 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
Seems like a lot of work to buy a car. Based on all the threads, I would add another $4k on for time and effort based on the amount of time put into this purchase. I have put less effort into purchasing a home.

we sure didn't put that much into buying and selling eric's 993.... buy-it-now off ebay, purchased ticket, flew out with cashier's check and drove it home (no ppi, etc.) ...sold here on rennlist, wire transfer then put on InterCity truck about a month later... very simple transactions IMHO.

...I just think some people are too worried about longer distance purchases and need to stick within their area where they can see it in person is all
Old 07-04-2006, 01:37 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

I picked up my C4 3 years to the date (picked up on 4th of July 2003) and bought it off Ebay. Never met the seller. Bought his 77 Bronco 1 year later on Ebay-never met him again. Never drove either prior to picking up. Picked up the C4 at his house when he was out of town and friends were staying there. Had friends in Incline Village check it out and test drive. Picked the Bronco up at Adams Custom Engines in Reno after having an electric fuel pump installed. Both times flew to Reno, picked up by a buddy, partied in Tahoe for the weekend, drove back to Salt Lake City. The Bronco was hell driving back because I was hungover, it was 100+, no AC. The seller was maticulious about records and details and got thumbs up from by buddies who drove them both. No ppi done on either but records given prior to sale (spreadsheet) and I called the shops where work had been done. He now has a 2001 C4, which who knows if I may end up with that down the road!!
Old 07-05-2006, 10:59 AM
johnnydee
Intermediate

I recently bought a car on eBay.
It is very difficult to send a large sum of money to someone who you don't know for something you haven't seen! You don't even know if the seller owns the car!
This seller had little feedback so I suggested we use escrow.com as recommended by eBay.
The seller was hesitant at first but I paid a 10% deposit to show I was a legit buyer and he then agreed to the transaction.
If I decided not to purchase the car after delivery to me it would have cost me shipping back and forth plus the escrow fee as well as time and energy so it would have to be something major before you would cancel the deal!
Face to face is the way to do a deal but if it's more than a 1 day drive then I feel escrow is the answer.

John
Old 07-05-2006, 11:09 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I know I wouldn't deal with the escrow as a seller for a car... too many variables and too easy for a scammer buyer. Heck, I don't even want to deal with it as a buyer and would rather just fly out and pick up myself in person with cash or a cashier's check (whichever the seller prefers)

I guess for any other car I ever sell on ebay or over the net I have to make it clear that I welcome in person pickup with cash but will not deal with escrow service PITA.

I guess I should be thankful that all our longer distance ebay (or net) car and motorcycle sales went so very smoothly without a buyer demanding escrow.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:28 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

I'd buy another car on Ebay without hesitation without seeing it or driving it. It's a matter of closing the deal with fine details and expectations before the $$ changes hands. I've been purchasing and doing things via ecommerce for years and never once been burned. A couple of misc. mishaps but I always protect myself when buying things (or putting down deposits) with my handy dandy American Express. American Express doesnt mess around if you have an issue with a purchase.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:03 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

yes, the only BAD ebay car purchase we made (but actually didn't follow through on) was a muscle car (plymouth Scamp) in Toronto, Canada. We drove 10+ hours to get it in person but once we saw it in person and heard it, and tried to test drive it (it was very clear that the car was hit badly and the frame was never straightened)... upon pushing the seller, we found out he had it in a ditch and did some quick fixing instead of fixing it how it should have been AND we found out that the photos he had posted on the ad were 3 years old and NOT current (thus the problems did not appear in the ad)

...so that one we spent our time and money to get there, stay in a hotel and drive home but we did NOT take the car so the cash went back in the account once we got back home.

...that was a $5k vehicle.... but ironicly enough, the higher dollar ones (like Eric's former 993) were sight unseen and turned out to be great once picked up in person!

Quick Reply: Won Ebay car - what to do next!!!