Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4S: RWD Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 01:59 PM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Adam: If you want light weight sell your C4S and just go the C2S route or better yet C2 route but don't ruin a rare C4S.

Scott
Old 06-08-2006, 02:35 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Adam can speak for himself, but some of you may not know that he has made many significant cosmetic changes to his car, and has it the way he wants it, so changing cars is probably not an option. I think its a fair question to ask about removing the AWD and the weight, and yes, the process can be reversed down the road. I stick with my advice to not do it, and I think he's listening.

Adam gets a lot of static for adding Ruf cosmetic parts to his car. His car is beautiful and its the way he wants it.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:41 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adam gets a lot of static for adding Ruf cosmetic parts to his car
that is not 100% true. lots of people add ruf pieces to their cars, but adam has take an additional step of changing his porsche badge for a "ruf" badge, which some people consider "posing." that is why adam is getting teased a bit here.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:04 PM
edpurplett
Instructor

my .02.... having a 2wd 993... I'm not sure we collectively helped with your question... just some personal opinions.... 2wd makes the car feel much more nimble... turn-in is greatly improved ,the 100+ lbs obviously help.... but as most state it's preferable for track and to further the point... 4wd makes cars with 500-700+ hp a handle to drive under power at high speeds... the car is plain wishy washy, if not scary... with 4wd and high hp.... (obviously porsche didnt design it with that in mind).... so weigh your options.. you can redo it all, but IMHO it's probably not worth the effort for a street driven clean, pretty car, and resale will be hurt IMO.... unless you redo....(and unless a littel nimbleness and roadfeel is worth a lot to you)_ so if you wrench your self maybe not a big deal but you'll spend some signif $ taking out and refitting... alkso you'll want to change suspension parts and/or settings if you do convert proabably.... JMHO ed
Old 06-08-2006, 03:24 PM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Driving a 4CS in normal conditions is like driving a 2WD car, traction is on the rear wheels only. It is only when the rear wheels lose grip and start spinning that the viscous coupling unit causes some of the torque to be transferred to the front wheels. The price for this extra safety is just the additional weight. I personally like the added stability on wet roads.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:25 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

A C2S is not nearly the car a C4S is. The C4S is built from the TT running gear including 4 channel ABS, big red brakes, and other bits and pieces. A C2S is nothing more than some wide quarters on a C2 chassis.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:43 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 79 Posts

geoffrey,

I will refrain from responding to your ridicilous comment.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:48 PM
mborkow
Drifting

I will refrain from responding to your ridicilous comment
his comment is not that out-of-line. the C2S is a C2 with a wide body (and the impossibly cool split-grill) but does not have the upgraded braking system, or suspension that is standard on the C4S (which is essentially a TT without the turbos)
Old 06-08-2006, 04:00 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Ok, so find me a stock C2 that has 18" turbo twists, a Turbo S front and rear aero kit. As far as the big reds go, you don't need them on a C4S. Nor is the TT suspension (which everyone changes anyway) needed for a naturally aspirated vehicle. For all I care, you can throw a boost gauge on your C4S too, guess what, you don't need that either.

- Many drivers like me opted to go with a C2S because we wanted to drive our cars, not the other way around. (Exactly the same reason I sold my Audi S4 for a RWD.) because with a TT motor, yes, the AWD might give you added security but on a 282hp car, it's completely unneccessary and detracts from "driver feel" - not to mention the added weight. If you want to have the front of your car pull you throw turns, great for you. I'd rather set a little TTO and let the rear push me through.

So to say that a C2S is not NEARLY the car that a C4S is a RIDICILOUS comment. I am not saying which is better, that's for the owner/buyer/driver to decide. But to say that the C2S is not NEARLY the car that the C4S is a joke.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:11 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Ok, so find me a stock C2 that has 18" turbo twists, a Turbo S front and rear aero kit.
easy now, i was not picking on your C2S (or any other C2S for that matter; they are great cars) and i did not meant to cause any offense. nor do i agree with the statement that the C2S is not NEARLY the car the C4S is, but there are differences between the C2S and C4S besides the AWD.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:12 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, the stock rims on the C2S are actually 17's. But, if you consider the Big Reds, all-wheel drive, 18's and suspension, that's a lot "more" car, and is usually reflected in the price, both MSRP and current values.

Me, I prefer the narrow-body Carrera 4. But to say that a C4 or C4S or even the twin turbo is not a driver's car because of the AWD, well ... a C4 ain't no Audi Quattro.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:39 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by mborkow
easy now, i was not picking on your C2S (or any other C2S for that matter; they are great cars) and i did not meant to cause any offense. nor do i agree with the statement that the C2S is not NEARLY the car the C4S is, but there are differences between the C2S and C4S besides the AWD.
No offense taken, and no need to agree or disagree on your point, we all know that the C2S and the C4S are not the same car and have differences. I was only commenting on the previous statement that the C2S is not nearly the car a C4S is. That would be like me saying the C2 is not Nearly the car that a C2S. Of course that's not true. They are 99% the same car.

Hell, had I ever lived in a cold climate that got snow or ice or a lot of rain, I would have even bought a C4S. -- But for the track and a sunny climates like Miami and So.Cal....AWD has no real benefit to the driver.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Mark Wilson
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My C4S handles the massive Dallas snow and ice storms extremely well. Hardly slide at all.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by adams993
I just figured since these higher HP turbo guys were doing it, there must be some benefit. Even for daily driving, a lighter car feels faster...and a 100+ lb drop is pretty substantial i would think. Maybe I should just diet.
ADAM
If you plan to keep the car and are not worried about the effect on value, my vote is do it...it will totally transform the car.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I apologize for sounding like a snob, that was not my intention. I only meant that there are some significant bits and pieces that come on a C4S that were omitted from the C2S. Some, like the 4 channel ABS are not easy to retrofit. I actually prefer 2WD over AWD from a driver's perspective.

Quick Reply: C4S: RWD Conversion